Choosing an operating system 2011 - revisiting the question

Bryn Mawr

Re: Choosing an operating system 2011 - revisiting the question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:00 am
Thanks for the reminder.
I have 2 laptops running Windows 10, and they are working fine, so far, but I have three others than need OS upgrades.
I really don't want to spend the money to install more Windoze
Hopefully, we will be fully relocated by end of the month, and I will have time to explore OS options, again.

I'm considering Linux options, and the only thing that might be off the table is Red Hat. I tried installing it once some years ago, and hated the experience, very much.
RH also was a severe pain in my workday, trying to troubleshoot storage networking problems, for which their "support" people were obnoxious and uncooperative.
I’m glad it’s not just me
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote:
I'm considering Linux options
What I found helpful was ordering five 32GB USB3 memory sticks at $5 each, so I could make a set of bootable live systems before installing anything on a hard drive. And if any of your drives are still not SSD it's silly not to take the old drive out as a fallback spare and drop in an SSD. Ebuyer.com here sells "WD Green 240GB 2.5" 7mm Solid State Drive £30" which is $37 and it changes a machine entirely.

(here's their memory stick, for reference: Kingston DataTraveler 32GB Datatraveler 100G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive Black £ 3.70 inc. vat)
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:17 am
LarsMac wrote:
I'm considering Linux options
What I found helpful was ordering five 32GB USB3 memory sticks at $5 each, so I could make a set of bootable live systems before installing anything on a hard drive. And if any of your drives are still not SSD it's silly not to take the old drive out as a fallback spare and drop in an SSD. Ebuyer.com here sells "WD Green 240GB 2.5" 7mm Solid State Drive £30" which is $37 and it changes a machine entirely.

(here's their memory stick, for reference: Kingston DataTraveler 32GB Datatraveler 100G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive Black £ 3.70 inc. vat)
That's a good idea. I should try that. then I can play with 2 or 3 different Linux OS systems. I have several USB sticks left over from work. A couple are even 256 GB.
Once this move is done, I hope to have a lot of "play" time on my hands.
“in prayer, it is better to have a heart without words than words without heart.”
― Bunyan
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Humph, Mint 20 has dropped 32 bit support and the first of my laptops is a Thinkpad X61, vintage 32 bit.

Got all the way to the dist-upgrade before it fell over with dependency errors :-(
spot

Post by spot »

That must be frustrating, I didn't know.

I'm not sure the surface variation Ubuntu and Mint make is vital. https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... bt-hybrid/ has an XFCE offering and you know your way around apt
spot

Post by spot »

Though actually, XP is still - just - an option.

What do you mean, nonsense...

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Right, I'm now running Debian XFCE on the X60

A bit of a game, mostly my fault I suspect. I downloaded the basic ISO ignoring the extended one with the non-free drivers as it wasn't supported by Debian, created the bootable stick and ran it up as a live boot which worked fine but had no internet connection. When I moved on to run a graphical install it turned out that I need a proprietary driver for the wifi card. I had to download that on a different machine and load it via a usb stick which appeared to work.

Then I chose to partition the drive with a separate home area. Again appeared to work but after the system files had been copied over the machine shut itself down whilst I wasn't watching. I reran (connected via ethernet) and again it shut down after displaying half a page of text of which I only managed to read the last line - requesting power down.

I then tried to run it as a live boot again but it powered down again (again whilst I was not watching). Another try and it booted up OK and I noticed that the home partition was completely empty. This made me suspect that splitting the partitioning had caused a problem.

At this point I ran the live install (a different installer to the graphical installer) and changed to a single partition and it went through to completion. Then I added the non-free repositories and, using the ethernet connection, installed the wifi driver.

Now I need to get used to the interface and the different utilities. I'll report on progress later.
spot

Post by spot »

Did you spend that £4.95?

Consider opening a phone hands-free to walk through the GUI a bit.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:39 pm
Did you spend that £4.95?

Consider opening a phone hands-free to walk through the GUI a bit.
Not yet - I found some new for £9.99 but I'm still looking for the promised price.

I'll practice with the set up out the box for a while and see what *has* to be changed and what I can work with.

So far I've added a search facility to the file manager (without enabling the search database but it's quick enough as is) but nothing else stands out as yet.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Having used it for a couple of days I’m very pleased with it.

Direct comparison with Mint 19.3 is very positive - it’s far quicker and more responsive and even with only 2gb of memory I’ve yet to run over 50%. I find libre office ramps up the cpu even when it’s not active but not to the extent that it slows other processes down.

For a machine with a cpu passmark of 452 (which makes my usual workhorse twenty five times more powerful) it is a viable option.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm
Humph, Mint 20 has dropped 32 bit support and the first of my laptops is a Thinkpad X61, vintage 32 bit.

Got all the way to the dist-upgrade before it fell over with dependency errors :-(
I'm confused.
Looking at Mint website they are touting Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" - Cinnamon (64-bit)
“in prayer, it is better to have a heart without words than words without heart.”
― Bunyan
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:14 am
Bryn Mawr wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm

I'm confused.
Looking at Mint website they are touting Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" - Cinnamon (64-bit)
I'm using Mint 20 at the moment, but the release seems not to offer a 32 bit x86 option which they've always previously made available. Linux is known for supporting old hardware so it's a backward step.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I guess it makes sense.
Ya gotta draw the line somewhere on what you'll support.
― Bunyan
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:42 pm
I guess it makes sense.
True, but if it still works I don’t like to throw it away :-)
spot

Post by spot »

My Tempest-hardened daisywheel electric typewriter still fills a niche.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 pm
LarsMac wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:42 pm
I guess it makes sense.
True, but if it still works I don’t like to throw it away :-)
Tell me about it.
I have an old 386 AT that I run some of the old PC games on that the grandkids like.
― Bunyan

Return to “Computers Internet”