Terrible Month

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
Maristar87

Terrible Month

Post by Maristar87 »

Recently, I made a stupid mistake. I'm a bit of an introvert but I can be outgoing if need be, so I decided to apply for a job at a bar. My friends insisted it was good, fast money.

Long story short, I loved the work, liked the environment, however - for some stupid reason my company hired about thirty inexperienced girls as servers and hostesses, and about four older women, with myself in the middle. Right off the bat, two of the older women quit, and I had a bad feeling that something was a little off... considering they had a ton of experience and they were originally excited about the job.

During orientation, the majority of the girls made comments about my age, my marital status (I'm 23 and married) and were generally rude as hell. They refused to do any side-work, as in cleaning the toilets, sweeping the floor or rolling silverware and those jobs were left to an older single mother, myself and a teenager who had experience as a supervisor in a fast-food franchise. Later on, when we actually opened the restaurant, when I worked as a seater - they would send people back, stating that "they probably weren't good tippers" and they didn't want them in their section. I understand having the occasional bitchy employee, but everyone did this so often that there was no way we could get anyone sat, and our waiting list was HUGE.

Management was aware of all this, but chose not to take any disciplinary action. Hell, our supervisor (I call her Miss Suckup) did nothing but eat and play on facebook the entire time she was "supervising" us and later asked the younger girls for "presents" from other stores and restaurants in the area. The icing on the cake was when she used several racial slurs to refer to her co-worker (my husband happens to be of the same race.)

Every day was hell. I couldn't sleep at night because I was so stressed and my hair started falling out. Miss Suckup became even more of a bully and started harassing me at every opportunity, despite this, the general manager and the bar manager insisted I was a good worker. However, they couldn't do much since Suckup had ties with corporate and outranked them. I was caught in the middle of a tug-of-war and I dreaded waking up in the morning.

I turned my uniform in, explained why I was leaving (management rolled their eyes) and I walked out. I had only a couple thousand dollars to live off of until I found a new job, but I couldn't handle the stress any longer.

... I actually forgot that my husband and I have to find an apartment in a few months, so I'm looking for work in a panic. I've turned in about fifteen applications and I have an interview tomorrow I'm looking to land.

So, that's been my life thus far. I feel like this: :-5

Any words of encouragement?
CARLA

Terrible Month

Post by CARLA »

There are laws against harassment on the job I suggest you file a complaint with the labor department and see where it goes.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Maristar87

Terrible Month

Post by Maristar87 »

CARLA;1356708 wrote: There are laws against harassment on the job I suggest you file a complaint with the labor department and see where it goes.

I was going to, but the girls who gave presents really love her (mostly because she let them swear and get away with anything) and nobody will back me up. It's my word against all of theirs.
CARLA

Terrible Month

Post by CARLA »

That is a shame because it will never stop unless someone blows the whistle on them.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

gmc

Terrible Month

Post by gmc »

You can waste a lifetime letting people like that get to you. Forget about them they have a problem you don't.
LarsMac

Terrible Month

Post by LarsMac »

You did the right thing in walking away. Hang in there, and the right job will come your way.

When interviewing though, don' tell the horror stories about that job. Just pass it off with something like you were looking for something with more of a future.

Find out where those "older women" went and see if you can get in with them.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

Terrible Month

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I agree with Larsmac about your future job interview.

I have my doubts about that bar having much success in the future. Time will tell. You did the right thing by leaving that fiasco.

Keep your eyes and ears open and those applications turned in. You will find something in the job market soon. When you don't have a job, looking for a job is your job. Unpaid.....but a job nonetheless.

Life is a learning experience.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Maristar87

Terrible Month

Post by Maristar87 »

Well, you guys were right. :D

I just got a new job and it'll pay me much more than I was making at the bar, and all my co-workers seem wonderful. We can now afford a 3-bedroom duplex, and we were previously settling on a one-bedroom apartment due to my unemployment. Woo-hoo! :) I woke up this morning and my husband's family told me that they actually went to the bar, and that they were treated horribly by the staff and the servers and a few of them made really rude racist remarks. They won't be in business for long with that attitude, I'm sure. I think they're going to file some kind of complaint.

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”