Coyote!

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
Jazzy

Coyote!

Post by Jazzy »

Went to get the morning newspaper and as I was walking down the driveway, I heard a growling noise. I turned around and there was a coyote standing in the woods. Needless to say, I high tailed it out of there :wah: The below picture is not the coyote but it looked just like it.

Attached files
LarsMac

Coyote!

Post by LarsMac »

it may have been injured. Usually they will just move away if the see you coming. May have had some food to protect.

Or perhaps she had cubs hiding on the other side of the road, and she was distracting you from them.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Jazzy

Coyote!

Post by Jazzy »

LarsMac;1287636 wrote: it may have been injured. Usually they will just move away if the see you coming. May have had some food to protect.

Or perhaps she had cubs hiding on the other side of the road, and she was distracting you from them.

I live on 23 acres in the woods and I see tracks all the time. At night I can hear the coyotes. I have 2 ponds on my property and I see where the tracks often lead to the bank. This is, however, the first time I have seen a coyote in the day time. One time at night when I came home from work there was one standing on the side of the garage. That one didn't move towards me but sure scared the crap out of me. :wah:
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

LarsMac;1287636 wrote: it may have been injured. Usually they will just move away if the see you coming. May have had some food to protect.

Or perhaps it was rabid. We shoot 'em on sight where I live.
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

your lucky to see them!

I saw one last year, here in the concrete city running as fast as lighting down the middle of my street.

we do have them here, shame he has to go elsewhere now to get food.:(
Life is just to short for drama.
LarsMac

Coyote!

Post by LarsMac »

hoppy;1287648 wrote: Or perhaps it was rabid. We shoot 'em on sight where I live.
That is a possibility, too.

Leaving was probably the best strategy.

Any time a coyote does not avoid you, it can't be a good thing.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

One of my grandsons has a farm. He has a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old. They love their yard. One day while they were out he saw a coyote lurking about in a brushy fencerow. A phone call to my other grandson brought an end to that particular coyote. He tied a chicken to a stake by it's leg, then layed in the loft of a barn for as long as it took for Wiley coyote to show up for dinner. There are still more in the area but they avoid the farm yard.
Jazzy

Coyote!

Post by Jazzy »

Coyotes are an endangered species where I live and it's against the law to shoot one. I do have a hand gun and if I felt threatened, I would shoot a warning shot and run for my life. I noticed before that on my property there seems to be tracks leading to a small cluster of trees. I am now wondering if they have a den there with cubs. Before you ask, NO, I am not going to go and look closer :wah:
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1287654 wrote: Coyotes are an endangered species where I live and it's against the law to shoot one. I do have a hand gun and if I felt threatened, I would shoot a warning shot and run for my life. I noticed before that on my property there seems to be tracks leading to a small cluster of trees. I am now wondering if they have a den there with cubs. Before you ask, NO, I am not going to go and look closer :wah:

they are endangered here as well.

oh see, I would walk ever so quietly and take a look-see to see if she had cubs!:lips::sneaky:
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1287656 wrote: they are endangered here as well.

oh see, I would walk ever so quietly and take a look-see to see if she had cubs!:lips::sneaky:

Endangered? You want some? They are overrunning my state and many others.
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

They are dangerous animals and are getting braver. They are NOT the cuddly critters you can tame and adopt into your home. I've read that coyotes are learning to hunt in packs. If so, they could easily take down a full grown person. I've seen them in my town.
Jazzy

Coyote!

Post by Jazzy »

Scrat;1287665 wrote: Why did you run? This only emboldens them, chase him off next time. It's your territory not his/hers.

I disagree that it's my territory and not theirs. As stated before, my house sits on 23 acres of their land. Yes, I pay taxes, but I don't truly own the land. These coyotes have been here longer than I have and the more we take up their land, the more they are going to try and protect it. Heck, why did I run? It scared the crap out of me, that's why :wah: I would rather run then try to chase them off and maybe provoke them. :-2
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1287681 wrote: I disagree that it's my territory and not theirs. As stated before, my house sits on 23 acres of their land. Yes, I pay taxes, but I don't truly own the land. These coyotes have been here longer than I have and the more we take up their land, the more they are going to try and protect it. Heck, why did I run? It scared the crap out of me, that's why :wah: I would rather run then try to chase them off and maybe provoke them. :-2

your right, they were here before we were.;)
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

My cousin owns a ranch in a western state. After he moved in, coyotes made off with his chickens and ducks. They killed most of his cats. When he saw them trying to lure his dogs out away from the ranch yard to kill, he took to carrying his .308 rifle everywhere. Eventually, he ran out of coyotes. Now cougars are coming down from the mountains behind his place and attacking his horses. He and wife are always armed now, just like the wild west of days gone by.
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1287789 wrote: My cousin owns a ranch in a western state. After he moved in, coyotes made off with his chickens and ducks. They killed most of his cats. When he saw them trying to lure his dogs out away from the ranch yard to kill, he took to carrying his .308 rifle everywhere. Eventually, he ran out of coyotes. Now cougars are coming down from the mountains behind his place and attacking his horses. He and wife are always armed now, just like the wild west of days gone by.

just like fox's they can be extremely destructive.

and now cougars......

all because they no longer have any food.
FUBAR

Coyote!

Post by FUBAR »

Coyotes killed a 19 year old in Nova Scotia last year. They are not cuddly things and will eat you if they can.
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1287682 wrote: your right, they were here before we were.;)

But indians were here before whites too. Suppose an indian set up his tepee in your yard, killed and ate your dog. That would be ok with you?:)
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1287844 wrote: But indians were here before whites too. Suppose an indian set up his tepee in your yard, killed and ate your dog. That would be ok with you?:)

they were, and their land was also taken from them.
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1287855 wrote: they were, and their land was also taken from them.

But are they camping in your yard and eating your pets?:)
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1287860 wrote: But are they camping in your yard and eating your pets?:)

no!

but as you did say, coyotes are feeding off farmer's animals, that is their income, big difference than seeing one in your backyard.
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1287861 wrote: no!

but as you did say, coyotes are feeding off farmer's animals, that is their income, big difference than seeing one in your backyard.

But coyotes ARE invading towns and cities. Just because you don't see them does not mean they aren't there. :)
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1287866 wrote: But coyotes ARE invading towns and cities. Just because you don't see them does not mean they aren't there. :)

polar bears, brown and black bears are now coming into towns in northern Canada, they are being re-located.
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1287890 wrote: polar bears, brown and black bears are now coming into towns in northern Canada, they are being re-located.

With coyotes, that is just handing the problem to someone else.
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1287892 wrote: With coyotes, that is just handing the problem to someone else.

not if they are re-located.
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1287894 wrote: not if they are re-located.

Re-locate to where? California? Already got 'em. And they have been seen and caught in New York's central park, of all places. I know for a fact the midwest is overpopulated with them. We gotta thin the pack, so to speak. :)
Jazzy

Coyote!

Post by Jazzy »

hoppy;1287901 wrote: We gotta thin the pack, so to speak. :)

Coyotes have been hunted, trapped, poisoned, and persecuted ever since the early days of western settlement. Today, the old struggle between livestock producers and coyotes is being played out in urban areas, as coyote sightings raise alarms—and lead to misguided programs to ‘control’ or kill these animals.

Trying to eliminate coyotes isn’t the answer. Our best bet is to learn what interests and attracts the coyote to our homes in the first place, and then use strategies for avoiding, or humanely resolving conflicts.

Read more: Solving Problems with Coyotes : The Humane Society of the United States
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1287914 wrote: Coyotes have been hunted, trapped, poisoned, and persecuted ever since the early days of western settlement. Today, the old struggle between livestock producers and coyotes is being played out in urban areas, as coyote sightings raise alarms—and lead to misguided programs to ‘control’ or kill these animals.

Trying to eliminate coyotes isn’t the answer. Our best bet is to learn what interests and attracts the coyote to our homes in the first place, and then use strategies for avoiding, or humanely resolving conflicts.

Read more: Solving Problems with Coyotes : The Humane Society of the United States

Fabulous article Jazzy, I often wonder how many people are feeding them.:-5

like my new avator?

It's the coyote from your article!:guitarist
hoppy

Coyote!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1287927 wrote: Fabulous article Jazzy, I often wonder how many people are feeding them.:-5

like my new avator?

More fun to hunt and shoot the mangy flea ridden critters.:wah:
DrLeftover

Coyote!

Post by DrLeftover »

You attract all sorts of .... whatevers, don't you?
[Signature Removed]
Jazzy

Coyote!

Post by Jazzy »

Odie;1287927 wrote: Fabulous article Jazzy, I often wonder how many people are feeding them.:-5

like my new avator?

Love your new avatar Odie. These are beautiful animals :-4
Jazzy

Coyote!

Post by Jazzy »

DrLeftover;1288037 wrote: You attract all sorts of .... whatevers, don't you?

Hello Doc and so nice to see you here! Yes, it does seem I attract all sorts of animals :wah:
Odie

Coyote!

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1288075 wrote: Love your new avatar Odie. These are beautiful animals :-4

no, thank you for posting the article so I could get that great pic of the coyote!:yh_rotfl

they are beautiful!

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”