Age you start walking?

Post by valerie »

Was curious about this as I came across an ad in an older magazine

(1998 I think) that said the average age for a child to walk was 17

months! Seems quite a bit late to me, I know you need above average

and below before you get average but still... all the kids I know or

can think of walked right around a year, I think I was 10 months and

I know my little brother was 13 months. My sisters I'm not real sure

about but I think they were "early", too.

:thinking:
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

smithy87

Age you start walking?

Post by smithy87 »

My niece is one next week and she can only crawl backwards!! My sister was panicking a bit because people were telling her 'she should be doing this by now...etc'. I've told her to chill out. Amy is a perfect, pleasant and bright baby. She's so quick at copying everything you do (this includes me teaching her to dance to my mobile phone tune!). If you stand her up she'll hold onto the sofa and stand for a minute or two, but she gets bored and collapses on the floor! The health visitor is pleased with her and she'll just progress naturally and at her own speed. I know of a friends baby who is 14 mths and he hasn't any teeth yet, where as Amy has 3. I think they develop at a pace that's right for them and too much emphasis is put on time limits.
Lon

Age you start walking?

Post by Lon »

I read another report that said tha 12 to 14 months was the norm.
john8pies

Age you start walking?

Post by john8pies »

Most but not all babies I knew started to walk before one year (though not my son!) but another smaller baby didn`t start till nearer 2 yrs. - I don`t think her legs were strong enough. Personally I never take too much notice of this type of `survey`
nvalleyvee

Age you start walking?

Post by nvalleyvee »

I don't know how old I was - too long ago. My daughter didn't walk until 15 months because her head was so big she didn't have the upper body strength to even crawl before she was 11 months. Yes she still has a big head but it's proportional now.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

My son was 11 months, I was almost double as I bum shuffled. He had a problem with one foot bending inwards, luckily he was really acitve and it corrected itself but personally I'd be worried if my child was walking before 10 months, can't be good for their ankles.
Bez

Age you start walking?

Post by Bez »

My kids all walked on thier own around 14 / 15 months.

My grandson (#7) has walked on his own his own since christmas which would make him about14 months old.

All my kids and grandchildren had teeth at 3 months....#7 has nearly a a full set at 16 months.

All kids are different and develop at different stages, however I would say that the average age of 17 months is quite late.

P.S. #7 is Lewis the youngest...the light of my life.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
SuzyB

Age you start walking?

Post by SuzyB »

My son was walking at 9 months and my daughter at 13 months, she just wanted to be carried everywhere. :-6
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

There's no right or wrong age to start walking my littlelegs was 18mnths old and i hated it when insensitive people proclaimed 'oh thats quite late isnt it' every child is different and as i always said to the 'late brigade' its not a competition...as long as there trotting about by the age of 18 then there's no worry :rolleyes:
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Yeah Red, I was about 20 months! As I said I'd worry more if they walked too soon.
Bill Sikes

Age you start walking?

Post by Bill Sikes »

valerie;71729 wrote: Was curious about this as I came across an ad in an older magazine

(1998 I think) that said the average age for a child to walk was 17

months! Seems quite a bit late to me, I know you need above average

and below before you get average but still... all the kids I know or

can think of walked right around a year, I think I was 10 months and

I know my little brother was 13 months. My sisters I'm not real sure

about but I think they were "early", too.

thinking:

Lots of info at:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/13/57/67/04135767.pdf

There's a nice time chart there.
Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

crazygal;546416 wrote: Yeah Red, I was about 20 months! As I said I'd worry more if they walked too soon.

me to chick, i think sometimes parents or people in general can put too much pressure on their kids to walk/talk/crawl etc by a certain age
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Yeah and as soon as they do, they wish they weren't as they can reach a lot more!
Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

oh so true! mind you i absolutely love this age and the fact my littlelegs has her independance..plus she can help me with the housework now!
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Already? Ryan won't do a thing but he does love sweeping and hoovering.
Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

oh aye she's helped me empty and hang up washing for yonks and now she stands on her little orange stool and helps wash up, not to mention floating round the house muslin in hand dusting everything :D
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Oh yeah, Ryan helps with washing, passes me it to hang but not much else, typical male. ;) He wants to wash up but I don't want my crockery smashed. :D
Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

i reckon no matter what people say its a girls instinct to want to play house and do chores etc and a boys to well...not lol
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Well it wasn't mine, still isn't, I hate housework, ALL of it! That's the only reason I am having Jade to do it for me. :wah:
Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

crazygal;546682 wrote: Well it wasn't mine, still isn't, I hate housework, ALL of it! That's the only reason I am having Jade to do it for me. :wah:

aha good plan mi dear
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Pinky;546697 wrote: I have no idea when I started walking, I don't remember that far back! I do remember trying to crawl down the stairs frontways though and seeing the stairs roll past, doh! I've always been accident prone.:rolleyes:

My mum told me 22 months as I was a bum shuffler but I found my record card from when I was little and it says 20! Still both a long time. My son was 11 months to the day but I won't be rushing this one, no way!
Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

god ur mum still had ur records etc? wow, ive done a journal for LL packed full of every little detail about everything...itll be fab reading for her when she gets older! she was cruising from around 13 mnths herself but being strong willed (like mammy) :p she only walked properly when she decided she wanted to
SuzyB

Age you start walking?

Post by SuzyB »

Pinky;546697 wrote: I have no idea when I started walking, I don't remember that far back! I do remember trying to crawl down the stairs frontways though and seeing the stairs roll past, doh! I've always been accident prone.:rolleyes:

LEAVE THE WINE ALONE :D
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Red;546788 wrote: god ur mum still had ur records etc? wow, ive done a journal for LL packed full of every little detail about everything...itll be fab reading for her when she gets older! she was cruising from around 13 mnths herself but being strong willed (like mammy) :p she only walked properly when she decided she wanted to

Yeah medical cards, the lot. She gave it all to me, first booties and that. I did the same with Ryan, I even have the menu cards from the hospital. :wah:
Red

Age you start walking?

Post by Red »

crazygal;546794 wrote: Yeah medical cards, the lot. She gave it all to me, first booties and that. I did the same with Ryan, I even have the menu cards from the hospital. :wah:

and i thought i was thorough...:wah: mind you all i ate was dry sarnies so wouldnt really make for interesting reading :rolleyes:
crazygal

Age you start walking?

Post by crazygal »

Red;546800 wrote: and i thought i was thorough...:wah: mind you all i ate was dry sarnies so wouldnt really make for interesting reading :rolleyes:

The meals there were so so tiny my mum was up there every day bringing me grub. Different hospital this time so hopefully better. :D
elwaysmom06

Age you start walking?

Post by elwaysmom06 »

my son who just turned one on the 24th has been walking since he was 11 months old.... I guess it just depends on the child, 17 months does sound a bit strange tho-:rolleyes:
Tater Tazz

Age you start walking?

Post by Tater Tazz »

My daughter was 7 months old.
Nomad

Age you start walking?

Post by Nomad »

Age you start walking?

I was 19. Thats when mom stopped breastfeeding me and I had to learn to fend for myself. Ill never forgive her for that.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Age you start walking?

Post by spot »

The day after he was born, Hermes went out and stole his brother's herd of cattle. It's true, I read it in a book.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Kids Family”