Getting Kids to Eat Healthy

KarmaDoodle

Post by KarmaDoodle »

How do you all get your kids to eat healthy?? Sometimes its so hard not to give in to what they want. I was a little disapointed when I saw what the #1 most eaten veggies by toddlers in the US. Any idea what it is?

YouTube - Gerber - Really?!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

KarmaDoodle;1184368 wrote: How do you all get your kids to eat healthy?? Sometimes its so hard not to give in to what they want. I was a little disapointed when I saw what the #1 most eaten veggies by toddlers in the US. Any idea what it is?

YouTube - Gerber - Really?!

French fries...no never gave them that..was always afraid they would choke on them. We did Gerber, Beechnut & when available, Earths Best baby foods. They loved sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, spinach, etc. I did the veggies first & the fruit last on every feeding.:-4
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

We're lucky in that our grandchildren are not in the least bit fussy and will eat anything. The youngest is nearly three and will eat virtually anything and come back for seconds. Any veg, she loves olives and she loves garlic. Sometimes she reeks of it :wah:
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
KarmaDoodle

Post by KarmaDoodle »

Thanks for all the ideas! That's great you have little ones that liked healthy foods. French fries are definitely a no-no in my opinion. I also thought this list had some good ideas about how to balance food choices.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Snowfire;1184371 wrote: We're lucky in that our grandchildren are not in the least bit fussy and will eat anything. The youngest is nearly three and will eat virtually anything and come back for seconds. Any veg, she loves olives and she loves garlic. Sometimes she reeks of it :wah:

I love garlic too:-4...kids love garlic bread. My daughter to this day (19 yrs) will eat a veggie over a piece of fruit anyday of the week.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Never force a young child to eat. Make meal time a pleasant and relaxing time. Put small portions on the plate and invite the child to atleast try one mouthful of each, if they are picky. Get them a special plate or bowl with their favorite cartoon or fairy tale character on the bottom. Children will usually eat what they are offered..........both good and bad foods. It's up to us as parents to start them young with fruits and veggies and other wholesome foods. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
daBunnyWendy7

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

One of my children's favourite veggie dishes is a bean salad I created. One can each of black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans (also known as ceci or chick peas), 2 cans sweet corn and add half a jar of salsa, a tablespoon of sugar, a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and refrigerate till chilled.:)
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Chips are OK, but not all the time. Start as you mean to go on, once you slide down the slippery slope it's hard to get back on track.

Don't forget that small children need a diet different from that considered healthy for an adult.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Kids will follow the example that parents set forth... you might also have them watch that movie Super-Size Me on family film night. :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Victoria

Post by Victoria »

Start as you mean to go on. I never opened a jar of baby food. I cooked everything fresh.

My kids knew no different until they were about 7 or8 they honestly thought the white bread rolls I gave them now and then really were cakes!

Ice lollys were home made, water and a drop of orange juice.

I didnt have much choice James had various food allergies nuts seed ect and Ryan had a milk/egg intolerance but it was worth it.

They have grown up into really fit healthy adults. Plus they can all cook a proper meal.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I never forced my kids to eat something they didn't want, and won't do it to my grandchildren either. I had a "nervous stomach" in grade school. Twice the principal made me eat when I was sick. He turned me against tomato soup and fish. 40 years later, I still won't eat them.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I showed my kids the 'cookie monster' and warned them that if they didn't eat their fruit and vege they'd grow up blue and hairy, have appalling manners at the dinner table and lose their power of pronounciation ............just like him. :wah::wah::wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

fuzzywuzzy;1184696 wrote: I showed my kids the 'cookie monster' and warned them that if they didn't eat their fruit and vege they'd grow up blue and hairy, have appalling manners at the dinner table and lose their power of pronounciation ............just like him. :wah::wah::wah:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl. I see peeps all the time giving their babies soda in their bottles:-5...growing up to be little fatties.
KarmaDoodle

Post by KarmaDoodle »

G-man;1184582 wrote: Kids will follow the example that parents set forth... you might also have them watch that movie Super-Size Me on family film night. :D

I agree that kids will follow the example you set. Also, many times it takes multiple tries for kids to like a certain food, but you just have to be persistent.

Return to “Kids Family”