When is too early....Too early?

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It takes alot to horrify me but the past few days, i have been fretting my-self silly.

I have learned that my favourite nephew is about to become a father.

He's 15 years old.

My sister has welcomed the young girl into the family along with her family and there was no question of aborting the baby.

They don't have a home or any money. My sister says they will manage but i wonder.

Has any-one had a member of the family who has become a parent at this age and how did they get on?

Serious replies please.... this is not funny :mad::mad:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Post by Peg »

Noone in my family has become pregnant or fathered a child at such a young age, but my kids' friends seem to be having kids all the time. One girl, lives with her mom and extended family and everyone seems to care for the baby except her. :-5

A boy and his girlfriend tried living together with their child, did rather well financially, but unfortunately they weren't together long and are in different states. As for another boy, he and his girlfriend split up but they both share responsibilty. He was like 14 and his girlfriend 15 when she got pregnant. The child is 4 years old now. A lot of adults could learn from these two. Child support and custody, etc. has never been an issue.
Oscar Namechange

Peg;1120251 wrote: Noone in my family has become pregnant or fathered a child at such a young age, but my kids' friends seem to be having kids all the time. One girl, lives with her mom and extended family and everyone seems to care for the baby except her. :-5

A boy and his girlfriend tried living together with their child, did rather well financially, but unfortunately they weren't together long and are in different states. As for another boy, he and his girlfriend split up but they both share responsibilty. He was like 14 and his girlfriend 15 when she got pregnant. The child is 4 years old now. A lot of adults could learn from these two. Child support and custody, etc. has never been an issue.

Thanks Peg.

I know my sister will end up looking after the baby if the novelty wears off. He seems rather keen on the idea and has even been out buying baby clothes but i just think at 15, he has no idea what is in store. he hasn't known the girl long and my biggest worry is that they will split up and he won't get to see the child and then some awful custody battle will begin.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I myself was 16 when I left home and married my OH I was 17 and 3 months when my son was born,

I am still very happily married 28 years on and my son is a well behaved well educated responsable loving human being. My other two children are not bad either!

Maybe because I had a slightly old head on my shoulders and maybe because OH is a bit older than me and could support us but we never doubted our actions and never regretted the choices we made.

Give them support if and when they need it dont push, dont be bossy, and have that I know better cos I'm older attitude, let them find out for themselves what it's all about and they will grown into being parents. Making them feel as if they have ruined their lives and everyone else's into the bargin will only heap pressure onto them and there will be plenty of that.

There will also be enough strangers making judgements and rotton sly comments so they don't need that from family even when said in fun.
Oscar Namechange

Victoria;1120363 wrote: I myself was 16 when I left home and married my OH I was 17 and 3 months when my son was born,

I am still very happily married 28 years on and my son is a well behaved well educated responsable loving human being. My other two children are not bad either!

Maybe because I had a slightly old head on my shoulders and maybe because OH is a bit older than me and could support us but we never doubted our actions and never regretted the choices we made.

Give them support if and when they need it dont push, dont be bossy, and have that I know better cos I'm older attitude, let them find out for themselves what it's all about and they will grown into being parents. Making them feel as if they have ruined their lives and everyone else's into the bargin will only heap pressure onto them and there will be plenty of that.

There will also be enough strangers making judgements and rotton sly comments so they don't need that from family even when said in fun.

Thanks Victoria... wise words.

Again, another worry of mine is that he is a little immature at 15 years old. If it were his sister at 16, i'd have no worries but he thinks everything is funny. Manybe when the baby is born, he might grow up very quickly. If he splits up with the girl, knowing my sister, she will never let the baby go and there will be one heck of a fight because the courts always favour the mother in custody battles.

He carries a pic of her scan in his pocket which says something but he's just so immature and it doesn't seem like yesterday since he was being born himself.
Peg

Post by Peg »

You can't worry about what could be, might be, etc. They could really suprise you.
Oscar Namechange

Peg;1120892 wrote: You can't worry about what could be, might be, etc. They could really suprise you.

I do hope so. He's been buying baby clothes as well with his pocket money. I just hope it's not a novelty with him that will wear off.

The family will support them, there's no fear of that at least.
coral

Post by coral »

I think there is no way a fifteen year boy in his right mind would want a baby. He really want to spend the rest of your life working two full time jobs because he did not finish high school and can not afford to go to college? According to an opinion research poll 'It's always wise to bring a baby into the world, under your own intentions' - would mean that your parents would have to pay for the brunt of medical and childcare expenses while you either went to work or continued with high school.
Odie

Post by Odie »

There is now way a 15 year old is ready to become a parent, he is a kid himself.

may end up that mom will be taking full control.

shocked her mom is alright with this at that age.
Life is just to short for drama.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

I was married at 15 and had my first son at 16, my second son at 17, and my daughter at 19. The very best thing anyone can do is support them but at the same time do not let either of them shirk the 'job' of being the babies parents. Make it clear from the start that they are loved and have the support of the family , but they are parents now and will be responsible for that precious little baby . If they never the idea that someone else will 'take up the slack' then they will stand up to the responsiblity of being parents.
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
Oscar Namechange

scholle-kid;1126909 wrote: I was married at 15 and had my first son at 16, my second son at 17, and my daughter at 19. The very best thing anyone can do is support them but at the same time do not let either of them shirk the 'job' of being the babies parents. Make it clear from the start that they are loved and have the support of the family , but they are parents now and will be responsible for that precious little baby . If they never the idea that someone else will 'take up the slack' then they will stand up to the responsiblity of being parents.

Well today he phoned to say she had just eight weeks to go and the scan showed baby is ok which is the main thing.

Communication is good between their parents which is also a positve and he has been buying baby clothes with his pocket money. He is also going to all the classes with her so he seems very commited. Looking at him hear, it was only yesterday when he was a kid. Still, we must have faith in him.

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1132768 wrote: Well today he phoned to say she had just eight weeks to go and the scan showed baby is ok which is the main thing.

Communication is good between their parents which is also a positve and he has been buying baby clothes with his pocket money. He is also going to all the classes with her so he seems very commited. Looking at him hear, it was only yesterday when he was a kid. Still, we must have faith in him.

omg......he's just a kid.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1132780 wrote: omg......he's just a kid.

I know........ A baby even. Now you can imagine my horror at hearing the news.

Not alot we could do really as termination was out of the question as far as the mother was concerned.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1132785 wrote: I know........ A baby even. Now you can imagine my horror at hearing the news.

Not alot we could do really as termination was out of the question as far as the mother was concerned.

his girlfriend or his mom?

this is just horrifying for them, do they have any ideas about what they are getting into?
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1132803 wrote: his girlfriend or his mom?

this is just horrifying for them, do they have any ideas about what they are getting into?

The girlfriend and her mother were determined they were having the baby and termination was out of the question.

His mom is my sister who's just had the baby. She used to work semi-full time and my nephew has always had younger siblings under him. He has his chores in the house and a rota of who's picking up who from nursery and school. He's exceptionally good with his younger siblings and i think the fact that he's always had to help out with them will give him a head start. We hope anyway.

The girlfriend is going to continue to live with her mum and my nephew will just have to get a full time job once he's 16 to get them some-where to live on their own.

Return to “Kids Family”