Parents who raise their own kids???

devist8me

Post by devist8me »

Is this becoming abnormal anymore?

Since having my two kiddos, all mothers offer the same advice: "Get on this or that daycare center early so your kids will get in, it's atleast a years wait".

This tells me there are too many kids in daycare and not enough parents at home taking care of their own.

My hubs and I have not had to resort to any daycare of child care outside the home. We do it by working opposite shifts and managing money wisely. Not sure what is so hard about this.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Tan

Post by Tan »

devist8me;1059327 wrote: Is this becoming abnormal anymore?

Since having my two kiddos, all mothers offer the same advice: "Get on this or that daycare center early so your kids will get in, it's atleast a years wait".

This tells me there are too many kids in daycare and not enough parents at home taking care of their own.

My hubs and I have not had to resort to any daycare of child care outside the home. We do it by working opposite shifts and managing money wisely. Not sure what is so hard about this.

Spot on
Tan
Lon

Post by Lon »

It's been my observation that today's kids are not raised by the parents because the amount of time spent one on one from about age 4 to the time they are out of the house is minimal. The amount of time the kids spend in Day Care, being baby sat, video games, school, TV, playing with friends, sports exceeds the time spent by parents. Most meals are not even taken as a family, but catch as catch can.
spot

Post by spot »

My recollection of children - admittedly the best part of a century old but perhaps still applicable even in this day and age - is that the one thing which fascinates them more than anything else (apart maybe from dogs) is other children their own age, and that's the one thing a family unit can't easily provide on a regular basis but which daycare can. I'm cautiously in favour of daycare for that single reason.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Excellent plan! Another might be to team up with another family or families who work opposing shifts and do something similar.

Most parents don't have to let strangers raise their children to make ends meet.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

I had a rough time after the birth of my first daughter, I was quite ill myself and was also told my baby had a hole in heart. The first three months were not great, I was still recovering and in pain and we were constantly at the children's hospital getting her checked out. It turned out that she was perfectly healthy, she just has a noisy heart which mimics how a severe hole in the heart would sound like. I was quite down and jumped at the chance of a mother and toddler group. I stayed with her, she played and I got to meet new mums as well as being with people I already knew. After came playgroup, if your not quick and get your childs name down, you may not get a place at all. I had my second daughter by now so I ended up helping out a lot in the playgroup so we were all together and then I ended up help running it as it was also a full time day care nursery but charity run. I worked in the nursery whilst they were there and I feel it did us no favours. I had separation problems and also they found it hard as I was always around so when they misbehaved I knew.

In the UK most day care facilities are very well run and have to meet strict guidelines set by ofsted, its wonderful for the children to mix with other kids. Our nursery provided a safe, stimulating and fun setting that all the children loved to come for a couple of hours and run off some energy. Paint, Playdough, cooking, art and crafts, singing, dancing, you name it they do it.

I was lucky that I didn't have to rely on child care for my children but I understand the necessity for some people. I just wish that some parents didn't use it 5 days a week 8-6pm as they are missing out a whole lot on that child's first few years.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I was fortunate enough not to have to work raising our sons, but nowadays alot of couples have to take on the additional income.

If they don't have family to take care of their kids, the kids are put into daycare.

Ours here are extremely well run and strick in rulings. The kids really enjoy daycare, it gives them an early opportunity to be with other kids which is a great start in learning devlopements, having friends, sharing, doing crafts etc. and having someone their own age to play and interact with.
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Post by spot »

I seem to be in a minority for once. Letting them spend time with other children their own age always struck me as a treat, not an inferior option.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzy butt;1059732 wrote: Try working in a day care centre where women bring in there six week old babies for you to care for for ten to twelve hours a day.

Yet they wouldn't let their poor little doggies out of their sight. quite sickening really

There are some jobs where you get to see into peoples hearts. Not all of it is good ............sometimes it can make you weep:o

6 weeks old?

now that's just sad!

they have a much higher age than that here to qualify.
Life is just to short for drama.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1059761 wrote: I seem to be in a minority for once. Letting them spend time with other children their own age always struck me as a treat, not an inferior option.
I'll bet lots of those kids would consider it more of a treat to spend time with mom & dad.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I'm a parent and I've also worked in the day-care profession for awhile years ago.

Except for a few weeks time period, I stayed home with my children til they started school. The exception was when I was urged, by my ex-husband, to get a job when my youngest child was only two or three years old. I hated leaving him, although I had confidence in the child care provider. I was always so glad to pick him up after work. Well, that job didn't work out, happily for me. So again I was the stay-at-home mom.

When I worked as a day-care provider, I was also taking child development courses. We did not just "babysit" children. We provided nourishing meals, age-friendly activities, routine, and play. We supervised as well as interacted with the children.

That said, I do believe that ,if at all possible, children should be raised by their parents at home. There is nothing like have mom or dad there.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

we chose to have our kids be at home with me from birth until they started school. :)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

sunny104;1060481 wrote: we chose to have our kids be at home with me from birth until they started school. :)
That'll teach 'em. :D
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

sunny104;1060481 wrote: we chose to have our kids be at home with me from birth until they started school. :)

Same here! :-6
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son

Return to “Kids Family”