He's Perfectly Beautiful

Accountable

He's Perfectly Beautiful

Post by Accountable »

The Importance of Trig Being

Michael Gerson

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

WASHINGTON -- In addition to Barack Obama making history as the first African-American to be nominated for president and Sarah Palin taking her shotgun to the glass ceiling, there was a third civil rights barrier broken at the political conventions this year.

Trig Paxson Van Palin -- pronounced by his mother "beautiful" and "perfect" and applauded at center stage of the Republican convention -- smashed the chromosomal barrier. And it was all the more moving for the innocence and indifference of this 4-month-old civil rights leader.

Trig's moment in the spotlight is a milestone of that movement. But it comes at a paradoxical time. Unlike African-Americans and women, civil rights protections for people with Down syndrome have rapidly eroded over the last few decades. Of the cases of Down syndrome diagnosed by pre-natal testing each year, about 90 percent are eliminated by abortion. Last year the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommended universal, early testing for Down syndrome -- not just for older pregnant women. Some expect this increased screening to reduce the number of Down syndrome births far lower than the 5,500 we see today, perhaps to less than 1,000.

Complete Article
RedGlitter

He's Perfectly Beautiful

Post by RedGlitter »

Acc, I think you're opening a whole can of worms here. :|

While I agree that any child brought into the world should be looked upon as perfect and beautiful once it's here, I don't agree with the story's subtle (?) leanings toward encouraging Downs birth or similar. I don't see that doctors informing women of the issues involved is any type of eugenics, which is what the story is aiming at, however gently.

I DO think that treating people with disorders (and regardless of how loving Downs children are, they still have a disorder) with respect and compassion is mandatory and Rose Kennedy and countless nonfamous people who were locked up in their famiy's attic all their lives bear testament as to why. There should be no shame in having a disorder. But...I do not agree that aborting a child highly suspected of having a physical or mental disorder is wrong or trampling upon that kid's "rights." Indeed when we're talking about what you might have seen from "Corky" in "Life Goes On," that makes it seem so sweet and happy because who wouldn't want such a loving being? But in reality it may not be that way and you may get far more than what the doctor even suggested. Where do you draw the line then? Do you bring a child into the world who has a disease that renders him a vegetable just because you don't want to take away his rights? Or because you don't want to be seen as a murderer? Mustn't we be cruel to be kind sometimes?

And even though abortion was mentioned, it's my hope this topic will take off without becoming yet another endless abortion debate.

Good article and topic, Acc.
RedGlitter

He's Perfectly Beautiful

Post by RedGlitter »

It’s all in the view and perspective of the family, is the child a burden or is he perfectly beautiful? Our perspective on the value of life is everything!

True which is why there are those parents who would choose to terminate a pregnancy rather than bring into the world a child with severe problems. I don't consider Downs to be a severe problem myself, but I think we're talking about all disorders/diseases and not just Downs.

I've seen the children you speak of and how their families have adapted to their needs and how the children have adapted to the world in spite of whatever their problem is. To me, they have quality of life if they are able to get some enjoyment out of it. But then I have also seen the children -and adults- who are strapped into a chair, have no use of any of their body and who are mentally deficient to the point they don't have any awareness of what is going on. I question what value they get out of life.

I think it's erroneous to presume that abortion in a general context is done just for the sake of convenience to the parents. If it is, I have no problem with that but I know if I were to have a child so severely deficient (for lack of a better word) that he or she relied on me for everything for all of his or her life and wasn't fully cognizant of what was happening to or around him or her, I would not hesitate to terminate that pregnancy. I would feel no guilt as I would want my child to have quality of life.

Heh. This is going to end up another abortion debate, isn''t it? I can feel it coming on. Some of us haven't recovered from the last six.
Accountable

He's Perfectly Beautiful

Post by Accountable »

RedGlitter wrote:

Indeed when we're talking about what you might have seen from "Corky" in "Life Goes On," that makes it seem so sweet and happy because who wouldn't want such a loving being? But in reality it may not be that way and you may get far more than what the doctor even suggested.

Some health problems for Downs kids can be quite severe. LINK

What health problems might a child or adult with Down syndrome have?

The outlook for individuals with Down syndrome is far brighter than it once was. Most of the health problems associated with Down syndrome can be treated, and life expectancy is now about 55 years (2). Individuals with Down syndrome are more likely than unaffected individuals to have one or more of the following health conditions:

Heart defects. Almost half of babies with Down syndrome have heart defects (3). Some defects are minor and may be treated with medications, while others require surgery. All babies with Down syndrome should be examined by a pediatric cardiologist, a doctor who specializes in heart diseases of children, and have an echocardiogram (a special ultrasound examination of the heart) in the first two months of life so that heart defects can be treated (2, 3).

Intestinal defects. About 12 percent of babies with Down syndrome are born with intestinal malformations that require surgery (3).

Vision problems. More than 60 percent of children with Down syndrome have vision problems, including crossed eyes (esotropia), near- or far-sightedness and cataracts (3). Glasses, surgery or other treatments usually can improve vision. A child with Down syndrome should be examined by a pediatric ophthalmologist (eye doctor) within the first six months of life and have regular vision exams (3).

Hearing loss. About 75 percent of children with Down syndrome have some hearing loss (3). Hearing loss may be due to fluid in the middle ear (which may be temporary), a nerve or both. Babies with Down syndrome should be screened for hearing loss at birth or by 3 months of age. They also should have regular hearing exams so any problems can be treated before they hinder development of language and other skills (3).

Infections. Children with Down syndrome tend to have many colds and ear infections, as well as bronchitis and pneumonia. Children with Down syndrome should receive all the standard childhood immunizations, which help prevent some of these infections.

Thyroid problems, leukemia and seizures (3)

Memory loss. Individuals with Down syndrome are more likely than unaffected individuals to develop Alzheimer's disease (characterized by progressive memory loss, personality changes and other problems). Adults with Down syndrome tend to develop Alzheimer's disease at an earlier age than unaffected individuals. Studies suggest that about 25 percent of adults with Down syndrome over age 35 have symptoms of Alzheimer's disease (2).

Some individuals with Down syndrome may have a number of these problems, while others may have none. The severity of these conditions varies greatly.
RedGlitter

He's Perfectly Beautiful

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you Acc.

I wasn't aware of a lot of those problems.
RedGlitter

He's Perfectly Beautiful

Post by RedGlitter »

Strength is made perfect in suffering; we should learn from it, step up and help them through it, not eliminate it from our society.

I accept that you feel this way and I understand where it comes from but I also disagree. I don't feel anyone should be forced to suffer for another person's benefit.

By doing what we are doing with these children we are teaching the next generation that life is expendable, cheap, and only the strong survive. The imperfect or physically weak are cast aside, or eliminated altogether.

Or perhaps we could be teaching them to weigh quality of life against quantity. I don't believe all life is to be preserved because it is sacred. I find that to be a terrible and dangerous notion.

You ask at what percentage do we decide...that has to be a parent's choice, not that of society. Some would feel a 50-50 is not enough. Others would take a shot even at 40%. It's an individual judgement call.

Return to “Kids Family”