Worst Mom in America

WonderWendy3

Worst Mom in America

Post by WonderWendy3 »

NO, no...its not me this time!!:yh_clap:yh_dance

A New York Journalist let her 4th grade child ride home on the subway and got all kinds of negative feedback. This goes along the lines of fuzzy's thread of leaving kids home alone.

Story:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/133103?GT1=43002

I found this interesting because she did bring up a good point that we do tend to coddle our kids, but GEESH....we have to in today's society in my opinion....but is it healthy for the kids to be under supervision at all times? We have to know where they are for their own good and of course ours too!!.....

What do you think?
RedGlitter

Worst Mom in America

Post by RedGlitter »

Because I'm not familiar with NY, I think subways are scary but maybe they're not any worse than a public bus. I think labeling her Worst Mom in America is total BS and very unfair. I see the point being made about our crappy dangerous society and I understand it but I also see her point. I agree with her. But I would be curious to know, if she'd had a daughter, would the girl have been given the same freedom?

ETA: maybe this will become a new trend and we'll have healthier, stronger kids who can grow up to take care of themselves *in* this crappy, dangerous, scary world.
WonderWendy3

Worst Mom in America

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Personally, I have been on the subway in New York city and I was PETRIFIED!!! but, and a big BUT....I am a country girl and had never been on a subway until I was almost 20 and my MOMMY was with me!! ---we were taking a day trip from VA to go sight-seeing....no she wasn't always holding my hand either.

If the boy is used to it, I think its great, I would be concerned if it were me, but we do have to let our kids be independent and not afraid of everything all the time.

I remember growing up, my parents never locked our doors of our house, my brother and I were home alone a lot during my teenage years. I had a friend that came over (she was from a little more weathly family than I was and was afraid of everything) She and I were home alone one evening and was convinced that someone was going to come kill us and had the kitchen knives in her hand at the door when my Mom came home and Mom was TICKED off at her for putting that fear in me that there was no reason to have. Needless to say....she wasn't one of my favorite friends of my mom's!!:(

Kids need protection, this is true, but we also need to let them learn how to survive without us....which is funny coming from me right now. My oldest has been on his own for almost 2 weeks and I've been checking on him daily....and I need to STOP!....A mom is always a mom, but children DO grow up...and we need to let them.

Return to “Kids Family”