leaving children at home alone

Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Don't get me started on this one Fuzzy :wah:

I think in the UK it is illegal to leave a child under the age of 12 years old :thinking: not 100% sure on that one.

I was shocked when I came here how many children are left home alone at what I consider to be too young. :-5
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I always had someone watching them if it were a neighbor or my mom driving out of her way 20-25 minutes up until the middle one was 13....and I still worry about them. I would leave them with my 18 year old, but if he wasn't home, the neighbors watched out for them. I was nervous leaving the boys at the new place at first and the very first time, they didn't even have a phone, so I was nervous nelly....but I was only gone for about an hour, still worried like crazy and they were fine. The neighbors are even closer distance here than they were at the other place.

I am dealing with a 17 year old boy being responsible for a 7 year old girl near where we are living now, I know its none of my business....but, well I am concerned, especially with the things I am hearing of her not having anything to eat all day.....you know who is feeding her!! Momma Wendy to the rescue!!:-6
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

It is illegal to leave a Child alone under the age of 12 in the US as well. Sad to say it happen every day sometime to a not so happy ending.

For me no child at any age should be left alone until they are smart enough to know how to react if something happens the require emergency action. Most kids I know today aren't able to cope with much till the age of 13 or 14 at the earliest. I just don't like kids being left alone ever. Just doesn't set right with me I would never forgive myself if something happened to them while I ran to the store.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

I have never left my kids at home alone but I am a worry wart :) My youngest son was 20 when I first left him alone.:D
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Post by spot »

I'd be very surprised if there were a law in England which said "below this age, if you leave you child unattended, you'll be subject to prosecution". English law doesn't work that way, an Englishman's home is his castle and all that. I'm reasonably sure that the courts would consider that a child left on its own in its own home, other than for an unreasonably long period, was by default safe unless something bad happened to it. If something bad happened to it then the responsible adult would undoubtedly be prosecuted for neglect. In other words, the court decides on the basis of consequence, not on the basis of the potential for harm.

Social Services, on the other hand, have no legal restrictions on what they decide to do, there's effectively no limit on their power to permanently confiscate children. Getting a court to intervene and stop the power-crazed bastards is expensive uphill work and even then it's unlikely to get you anywhere but deeper trouble. If Social Services tap your shoulder then tug a respectful forelock and hope they lose interest, it's like having the Eye of Sauron focus in your direction. I managed to never speak with one, my comments are based solely on newspaper accounts but I'm not exaggerating, they're the modern-day Spanish Inquisition.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Kids Family”