Kids and MSN

koan

Kids and MSN

Post by koan »

My youngest niece has just started using her own MSN account. She likes to start convos with "Hi" then "How r u?" then waits for you to actually make a conversation. If you don't reply right away she repeats the first two entries.

She is still at a phase where she thinks that other people should entertain her. If we are online she assumes that we are free to chat. Her subtitle says "I'm boreeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I feel bad because she's only about 8yrs old but I've started wondering what the heck her parents are doing if she's online all the time and bored out of her skull.
CARLA

Kids and MSN

Post by CARLA »

Good point Koan kids get into trouble when they spend that much time on a computer.

My Granddaughter is 9 soon to be 10 NO myspace, facebook, or chatting of anykind. If she wants to be on the internet to learn something excellent a few games but not a lot. Then get the heck outside and ride that skateboard or go surfing, or go to a friends house and chat in person. Or better yet read a BOOK.:-6:-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

WonderWendy3

Kids and MSN

Post by WonderWendy3 »

koan;811505 wrote: My youngest niece has just started using her own MSN account. She likes to start convos with "Hi" then "How r u?" then waits for you to actually make a conversation. If you don't reply right away she repeats the first two entries.

She is still at a phase where she thinks that other people should entertain her. If we are online she assumes that we are free to chat. Her subtitle says "I'm boreeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I feel bad because she's only about 8yrs old but I've started wondering what the heck her parents are doing if she's online all the time and bored out of her skull.

I have the same problem....I have a niece who is about 10 that thinks its fun to play tricks on my oldest son...for example: telling him she's home alone and afraid someone is going to kill her, and he was all worried and trying to calm her down and frantic on what to do, we are 2 hours away from her.....to find out that she thought this was funny....just a joke!!....I was NOT amused!!

My middle son is now just getting online at 13 and he jumps on myspace, talks to his friends and then he's done.....I like it like that!
flopstock

Kids and MSN

Post by flopstock »

mine's gonna be nine in a month. no email account. if she needs to write to someone it goes through mine.

she has access to the itunes store, but hasn't used it.

she uses the internet to learn about stuff she's interested in. when we decided to go to florida she looked up shamu...:wah:

i had to assure her it was a joke.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

chrisb84uk

Kids and MSN

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well the internet chat rooms, facebook, Myspace etc, really are going through a boom and at the moment I can't see anything stopping it. I don't feel that many parents are too fussed about it, sure they would rather them being outside or doing something productive, but I assume that they feel that they aren't doing anything bad or going to misbehave whilst staring at a monitor and are seemingly talking to their friends which isn't all too bad.

Of course that is often not the case, and parents are at times unaware of what their children are doing, and more worringly in some cases, don't care whether they spend hours and hours on end, as long as they can get some peace and quiet on their own and not be disturbed. I mean it seems everyone now, especially so many young kids as you say from 8 and even younger upwards, has their own account set up on one chat/friend site and then on another, and where it will end I have no idea.
moonpie

Kids and MSN

Post by moonpie »

It seems that all kids have some type of computer now. I think it is making them get older too fast. This world is just getting to dependent on computers, blackberries and cell phones. I think that kids' imagination is being stifled, and if they do think up something unique it is usually negative.:lips:
Joe

Kids and MSN

Post by Joe »

Koan, it sounds like your neice needs to be taught some basics of making conversation. Maybe she needs to appreciate that talking to someone who offers little in reply is hard work, you may be able to illustrate this by asking her if there's someone very shy she maybe knows at school, & what it's like trying to engage that person in talk. I assume her parents have taken all the appropriate safeguards to ensure she's not talking to anyone unsuitable on her msm.

If she's keen on msm chat, & so long as it's kept to a suitable amount of time, maybe a responsible older person (yourself, her parents?) could sit with her & suggest things she could say that would move the conversation along. This would have the added advantage that they could monitor the replies of whoever she's talking to, one can't be too careful at her age when you can't see who's on the other end.
kayleneaussie

Kids and MSN

Post by kayleneaussie »

My son didnt get a computer until he started High School. He didnt find out about msn till he was 16 thankgoodness:)
FOC THREAD PART 1
koan

Kids and MSN

Post by koan »

Joe;812325 wrote: Koan, it sounds like your neice needs to be taught some basics of making conversation. Maybe she needs to appreciate that talking to someone who offers little in reply is hard work, you may be able to illustrate this by asking her if there's someone very shy she maybe knows at school, & what it's like trying to engage that person in talk. I assume her parents have taken all the appropriate safeguards to ensure she's not talking to anyone unsuitable on her msm.

If she's keen on msm chat, & so long as it's kept to a suitable amount of time, maybe a responsible older person (yourself, her parents?) could sit with her & suggest things she could say that would move the conversation along. This would have the added advantage that they could monitor the replies of whoever she's talking to, one can't be too careful at her age when you can't see who's on the other end.

yes, she will figure out how to hold a conversation eventually. I'll probably start mentioning a few things here and there regarding etiquette if she isn't getting the hang of it soon. Patience is the first thing. Realising that if someone doesn't answer they are probably busy. She seems to think that anyone who is visibly online is sitting around bored like her, waiting for someone to chat to.

I think one of the reasons kids are on computers by themselves is that we are too scared as a society to let them run about outside with their friends anymore. From the time I was five we used to be out all day after school and reported home for dinner. My mother didn't even know where we were most the time. Wherever we were, we usually had the rest of the neighbourhood kids with us. Now, if you don't know where your kid is, people think it's a crime of neglect.
kiwimum76

Kids and MSN

Post by kiwimum76 »

My daughter is 12 and I know a lot of kids her age are on FaceBook etc. She hasn't indicated much interest in that sort of stuff. She plays her computer games that have a disk and we use the internet for homework, but thats all.

She doesn't have an email address. The occasional email from her cousin goes to my address. Even if she wanted to be on a site like Bebo or Facebook, we wouldn't allow it. We don't feel that its necessary for her at this age. I have seen some of the things other kids her age put on it and I don't like it. It's not educational or necessary for her right now.

Return to “Kids Family”