Homeschooling in NY Question

magick13

Post by magick13 »

Hi Everyone,

Maybe someone here can answer this ?. I have a 13 yr. old daughter in the 7th grade who recently was a bystander in something in the public school that she didn't need to be involved in and I have decided to start homeschooling her next year. There is also another mother who is doing the same w/her daughter because of what happened.

My ? to everyone or someone is other than getting the homeschool form to the super at the school does anyone know exactly what books or things I need to get for my daughter as far as the State of NY is concerned when it comes to homeschooling? I've read the laws for the State of NY, but it doesn't tell you much. Is there anybody else homeschooling there kids in the State of NY that can help. The internet gets you a little lost when it comes to this subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll wait for everyones emails in my inbox.

Oh, yeah I'm new to the garden. So, hi I'm magick13 by the way. Thanks.:cool:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Magic,

Welcome to the garden. Hope you enjoy your time here. I believe tha RJ would have some info for you about home schooling. Sorry that some issues happened to your daughter in school. Good luck to you and family.

magick13

Post by magick13 »

:-6 Hi Kathy and Thank you. So RJ do you have any answers to help me with homeschooling an 8th grader in the State of NY? I'll await your email and anyone else who can help out.

Thanks again guys.

magick13.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Welcome Magick! :-6

Will your school or district give you the name of someone else who is successfully homeschooling? They may be able to mentor you.

Good luck!
magick13

Post by magick13 »

:) Thank you Accountable, but I have to agree with RJ I'm going to try and stay out of the school system as much as possible when I start homeschooling my daughter. However I do appreciate the advice though.

RJ that would be awesome as far as the phone calls go. And it would definitely be secular. My daughter and I are both Pagan/Christians. Anyway I think that Religion and School should be kept seperate. Even in homeschooling, but that's just my personal opinion. That's the one thing I noticed about the different homeschooling print outs and even the books you could order for 8th graders. They were all filled with Religion and School combined. It's not that I'm against that I just want to teach my taught about Religion seperately from her schoolwork.

Thanks again RJ making those phone calls for us on Monday will be very beneficial.

magick13.:-6
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

magick13;797765 wrote: :) Thank you Accountable, but I have to agree with RJ I'm going to try and stay out of the school system as much as possible when I start homeschooling my daughter. However I do appreciate the advice though.

RJ that would be awesome as far as the phone calls go. And it would definitely be secular. My daughter and I are both Pagan/Christians. Anyway I think that Religion and School should be kept seperate. Even in homeschooling, but that's just my personal opinion. That's the one thing I noticed about the different homeschooling print outs and even the books you could order for 8th graders. They were all filled with Religion and School combined. It's not that I'm against that I just want to teach my taught about Religion seperately from her schoolwork.

Thanks again RJ making those phone calls for us on Monday will be very beneficial.

magick13.:-6RJ's the one with the firsthand experience. I'm a public school teacher, and can only offer my moral support. I've noticed the overwhelming religious nature of homeschooling advice online, as you mention. I think it's great that you're willing to take your kid's education on your own shoulders. Good luck finding the literature you need.
magick13

Post by magick13 »

:-6 Hi RJ,

I love that site. So which of the 8th grade material to you have kicking around still so to speak. And the items on the site for the online materials.... Are they CD's? or books? and then the kids just get on line and take the 36 week course.

I guess the other ? I have is if you send me some of the material that you have kicking around like I said so to speak then I assume I still register with that site so my daughter can take the online courses Right?

Thank you by the way for the help you are giving me and my daughter in homeschooling 101. lol.;)

magick13.

Return to “Kids Family”