What Love Means to a 4-8 Year Old,

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

What Love means to a 4-8 year old . . .

Slow down for three minutes to read this. It is so worth it. Touching words from the mouth of babes.

A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds, 'What does love mean?'

The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined See what you think:

'When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.

So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.'

Rebecca- age 8

'When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.

You just know that your name is safe in their mouth.'

Billy - age 4

'Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.'

Karl - age 5

'Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs.'

Chrissy - age 6

'Love is what makes you smile when you're tired.'

Terri - age 4

'Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK.'

Danny - age 7

'Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more.

My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss'

Emily - age 8

'Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen.'

Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)

'If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,'

Nikka - age 6

(we need a few million more Nikka's on this planet) [/B

]'Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday.'

Noelle - age 7

'Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.'

Tommy - age 6

'During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling.

He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore.'

Cindy - age 8

'My mommy loves me more than anybody

You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night.'

Clare - age 6

'Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken.'

Elaine-age 5

'Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford.'

Chris - age 7

'Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day.'

Mary Ann - age 4

'I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones.'

Lauren - age 4

'When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.' (what an image)

Karen - age 7

'Love is when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross.'

Mark - age 6

'You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget.'

Jessica - age 8

And the final one

The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.

Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said,

'Nothing, I just helped him cry'
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
littlemissgiggle

Post by littlemissgiggle »

some sweet ones there :D
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

this one is my favourite ...

'When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.'
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

awwwwwwwwwwww thats nice....he is in inlove:-4

Children come out with the most amazing things :-6
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Post by spot »

If you don't send this post on to at least 10 other people then God will kill Rebecca and Billy and Karl and Chrissie and Terri and all the other little children it quotes.

There's a discussion of the post from which I take the main gripe, since I find the post stomach-churning: "A lot of them don't sound like the way kids talk". Damn right they don't sound like the way kids talk, that's because the post's a made-up piece of glurge, not a survey by a "group of professional people". Utter ass-wipe glurge at that, vile deceptive rubbish glurge. This has nothing to do with either 4-8 year olds or with love, this is entirely about lurve, manipulation and emotional blackmail.

Love is not inflicting artificial sentiment. Glurge is as much a lie as oath-breaking.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Spot what on earth are you raving on about I can see nothing at all wrong with this post:(
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Post by spot »

You seriously think those quotes came from 4-8 Year Olds? Honestly??
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Well I have fostered over 100 children have 4 of my own reared 3 stepchildren and yes I do believe children would say some of those comments
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Post by spot »

kayleneaussie;770125 wrote: Well I have fostered over 100 children have 4 of my own reared 3 stepchildren and yes I do believe children would say some of those comments

I didn't ask whether any of them were believable, I asked whether you thought those quotes came from 4-8 Year Olds. If "a group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds" they'd have published their results, that's why they're a group of professional people. If anyone, any time, posts the professional source for these quotes from a group of professional people then I'll never post again, how's that? It's an invented post written years ago by a liar, Kay, and subsequently spread by fools. It's not true. It's not what it claims to be. It's a lie.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Can you prove what you are saying then ?
FOC THREAD PART 1
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

But then again spot if it is a lie the comments of the children were ok I think so dont you think you maybe nit picking?
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Post by spot »

I keep saying it's easier to write drekk like that than to falsify its content. That's why I put up a big reward.

If it's from a group of professionals then it originally appeared in a peer-reviewed publication, that's what "professional" means in the context of a survey which this claims to be.

You're asking me to prove that no peer-reviewed publication contains these quotes. How can I do that?

On the other hand I'm sufficiently confident that I'm right that I offer never to post again if someone can dig out the origin of the quotes and it's really a group of professionals instead of a slimeball sentimentalist liar. The obvious lack from the post is "In 1974 a team at the Psychology Unit of UCSD headed by Dr Ruth Pargeter asked a group of 4-8 year olds..." - that's how you tell what's fake from what's real. Is it testable?

"Prove X doesn't exist", where I claim it doesn't, is a tough challenge. "Prove X exists", where I claim it does, is far simpler. I think I'm duty bound to put up or shut up if I'm called in the second case.

Do you seriously think those quotes came from 4-8 Year Olds? Honestly?
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Does it really matter if they did or they didnt, they were cute comments that kids would make and as I said befor spot I think you are nit picking:(
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Post by spot »

It matters immensely, the comments are only (even potentially) cute if they're from the mouths of 4-8 year olds. If the comments are put into the mouths of 4-8 year olds by a slimeball liar who claims they're real then you rather wonder why the slimeball liar wrote them, what's going on in his sick little mind and why he obsesses about such matters.

"if it is a lie the comments of the children were ok" makes no sense. If it's a lie the comments weren't made by children.

Do you seriously think those quotes came from 4-8 Year Olds? Honestly?
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Tell me this Spot do you have any children?
FOC THREAD PART 1
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Wow, Spot.

You never get upset like this when discussing the historical accuracy of the Bible, so don't get upset about the inaccuracies of this post. Just enjoy the cute and allow the sentiment (which can't be artificial if it comes from the reader, btw) to make you feel good.

Unless your tirade is really about something else ...........
spot

Post by spot »

kayleneaussie;770141 wrote: Tell me this Spot do you have any children?

An assortment. Would you like their opinion as well? I'd be interested to hear their view, I suspect they'd say I was absolutely correct in what I claim but shockingly overbearing in the way I express myself. I do try to tone down to conversational civility and avoid the appearance of frothing rage, no rage ever exists in my mind. Where it exists in my posts it's purely an inability on my part to say what I mean.

Do you seriously think those quotes came from 4-8 Year Olds? Honestly? It's an important question in terms of the thread and you keep refusing to answer it.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;770145 wrote: Unless your tirade is really about something else ...........It's about people copy/pasting junk around the Internet without even trying to add value in the process. I'm adding the value.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

YES I DO:rolleyes:
FOC THREAD PART 1
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;770154 wrote: It's about people copy/pasting junk around the Internet without even trying to add value in the process. I'm adding the value.
The junk in the OP added value as well, at least for me. Like cute puppy pics. It doesn't matter if the pics are doctored a bit to make them a little cuter, or even if they are created entirely from scratch.

The OP added value for me because it made me feel good. Your comments in this particular thread are (to me) like pointing out where someone's paint-by-number project didn't stay inside the lines.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Accountable;770159 wrote: The junk in the OP added value as well, at least for me. Like cute puppy pics. It doesn't matter if the pics are doctored a bit to make them a little cuter, or even if they are created entirely from scratch.

The OP added value for me because it made me feel good. Your comments in this particular thread are (to me) like pointing out where someone's paint-by-number project didn't stay inside the lines.

exactly
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;770159 wrote: The junk in the OP added value as well, at least for me. Like cute puppy pics. It doesn't matter if the pics are doctored a bit to make them a little cuter, or even if they are created entirely from scratch.

I realize I'm beating a dead horse in the face of invincible ignorance but let me take one last shot at it.

The post about which I'm so critical is internally a lie. It starts "A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds"... and ends with "The winner was"... - two entirely different propositions. Is this a contest, or is it a set of responses to a group of professional people seeking answers from 4-8 year olds about "What does love mean?". It can't be both.

Let me go another step further and provide a genuine first-hand account of the source of one of the paragraphs, on the basis that if one's demonstrated to be a lie then the entire article's a hoax constructed by a sleazeball liar and not a set of quotes from 4-8 year olds as it claims. This article is from The San Diego Union-Tribune, December 23, 1985, "The world is filled with people who care", written by Dr. Leo S. Buscaglia. The article's sourced, written by an eminent author, it's everything that the Internet hoax isn't. It's where one of the claimed quotes really comes from.Early this month, I was asked to help judge a national contest sponsored by the makers of Care Bears and Woman's Day magazine. The purpose of the competition was to recognize caring children. Through a Care-A-Lot-Kids Campaign, thousands of children between the ages of 4 and 12 were nominated by their parents, teachers and even themselves to participate in the contest.

The selection was not made on the basis of inspiring compositions or speeches, but on a caring act performed by the child. I often hear people say the world would be a better place if only "they" were kinder, more considerate, more giving, more willing to love. I wonder who "they" are. I believe that "we" are "they," and if we want to bring more kindness, gentleness and warmth to the world, then it's up to each of us. It's not true that nobody cares, that it's a dog-eat-dog world. The world is full of people who care, and it's about time we honor them.

The contest's results were encouraging. They brought to light thousands of acts of selflessness, revealing that goodness is alive and well and being expressed by our youngsters all over the country. Some of the children were honored for acts of heroism, others for such deeds as collecting reading material for hospitals and orphanages, or arranging such community activities as story hours or recreational sports. One 7-year-old girl said she believed that only through her giving would her sister, dying of a bone disease, be saved. She told of her struggle to overcome her fear of pain, hospitals and surgery before she offered to share her bone marrow with her sister, thereby saving her life.

Another child rescued a 72-year-old woman who had tumbled into a ditch on her way home from the grocery. She was lying there bruised and bleeding, with a broken ankle, for more than an hour before the child found her and asked her mother to take the woman to the hospital. The child refused to leave the hospital until nine hours later when she was certain that the woman was out of danger. The girl has maintained this caring relationship by assuring her elderly friend that she is always available to help when she's needed.

A 10-year-old boy was being driven home from school by his older brother when they collided head-on with another car. The older brother was unconscious and trapped inside the vehicle. The younger boy crawled out of the car and ran for help, ignoring the fact that he had two broken bones in his feet. He saved his brother's life.

Another child, hearing that a neighbor needed a heart transplant that he could not afford, started a campaign to raise the needed funds. He posted homemade signs asking for money around the community, and approached neighbors, friends and relatives for money. In six weeks, he had collected, with his parent's help, the $60,000 necessary for the operation. His neighbor now has a new heart.

A 10-year-old girl, whose sister is in an irreversible coma, sets aside time each day to talk with her, play music for her, wash her face and comb her hair. In this way she feels that she is helping her sister, as well as her overworked mother.

Perhaps the most touching story was reported by a mother about her 4-year-old son. An elderly neighbor had recently lost his wife and was despondent. He was often seen alone, in tears. One day the little boy, seeing the man weeping, walked into his yard and sat on his lap. His mother, believing that her son might be bothering the man, called him home. "What did you say to Mr. ... ?" she asked. "I didn't say anything," the 4-year-old replied. "I just helped him cry."

I'm delighted that there are people and organizations calling attention to the good that people do. Heaven knows we are bombarded with many tales describing negative behavior. I hope that occasions such as these will one day draw as much media attention as the latest drug bust or hijacking.Now, that article is a genuine account of what children do and say. I'm moved by it. I spit on the hoax that started the thread as both demeaning to children and an insult to reality.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Spot This Was An Innocent Thread About What Children Say And You Have Blown It Out Of Proportion, For Goodness Sake Havent You Got Anything Better In Your Life To Do Than Come Into Threads And Nit Pick:(
FOC THREAD PART 1
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

:confused::-3

Spot i have really tried to understand what point you are trying to get across. i really have. Because if i cant understand it then im wondering what on earth is going on with you? If the OP is a lie, why does it mean its so despicable etc. Its just a fluff post really innit? I mean it could be a lie but what actual harm is it doing? I could understand more if it was about a serious issue, world affairs, war, history etc. But i just cant get my head around why you are so annoyed about this. Are you saying every time we post or start a thread we should make sure its the truth? Even silly fluff threads, Can we not post without worrying wether we are going to be called liars, ignorant, silly etc. ?

I can be a bit thick, naive, yes even ignorant at times, maybe its because i am an average human being. But im happy:D Are you happy Spot? You seem so crabby lately. Sorry i dont mean to offend, its weird how we sort of form opinions on here and could really be so far off the mark innit? Anyway im rambling now so i'll go:o

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;770165 wrote: I realize I'm beating a dead horse in the face of invincible ignorance but let me take one last shot at it.I would say that you've confused ignorance with not caring, but you take great care to be clear. My only alternative is that you're hurling insults at me personally simply for not agreeing with your point of view. What would you as a moderator do for such an infraction?

spot wrote: The post about which I'm so critical is internally a lie. It starts "A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds"... and ends with "The winner was"... - two entirely different propositions. Is this a contest, or is it a set of responses to a group of professional people seeking answers from 4-8 year olds about "What does love mean?". It can't be both.'kay. It's a lie. You've established that a couple times. Why is that important? Where's the harm? Who is slandered?

spot wrote: Let me go another step further [...]That's some beautiful information that you had many choices in the way to present. Rather than using it to uplift the collective spirit by, say, using it to open a new thread, you instead use it as a weapon, a tool to beat down trivia - much like the woman who grabbed her baby by the ankles and used it to strike her husband.

What you have done is demeaning to those you've listed and an insult.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Accountable;770173 wrote: I would say that you've confused ignorance with not caring, but you take great care to be clear. My only alternative is that you're hurling insults at me personally simply for not agreeing with your point of view. What would you as a moderator do for such an infraction?

'kay. It's a lie. You've established that a couple times. Why is that important? Where's the harm? Who is slandered?

That's some beautiful information that you had many choices in the way to present. Rather than using it to uplift the collective spirit by, say, using it to open a new thread, you instead use it as a weapon, a tool to beat down trivia - much like the woman who grabbed her baby by the ankles and used it to strike her husband.

What you have done is demeaning to those you've listed and an insult.

What are you on about. All I was trying to point out was what the children said is believable, I dont give a stuff if its a lie or not its Spot who is not letting up on this:confused:
FOC THREAD PART 1
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Anyhow enough is enough, JJ I enjoyed reading those quotes , but its late over here and this is all so trivial. Goodnight to you all.:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

kayleneaussie;770174 wrote: What are you on about. All I was trying to point out was what the children said is believable, I dont give a stuff if its a lie or not its Spot who is not letting up on this:confused:

Kay i dont think ACC meant you as in your name kay, i think he meant okay, but abbreviated it, slang if you know whay i mean:wah::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

kayleneaussie;770174 wrote: What are you on about. All I was trying to point out was what the children said is believable, I dont give a stuff if its a lie or not its Spot who is not letting up on this:confused:
:-2:-2 ........................ :wah: Sorry! Kazalala's right. That "'kay" was short for Okay.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Spot, I really like that article you posted. That is a good example of caring and loving children-I understand the validity part of why you posted it. You do want to know the background of things posted. (I know I like to see things quoted and know their source, and full copy and paste of it, not parts)

Your article shows love in action, and how a child shows this. The one about the girl in a coma is very touching, and shows true love. It is like the small children at my church, when my husband comes once in awhile when in good health or weather conditions, they sit by him and talk to him. At a Christmas brunch, the little boys brought their hot wheel cars, played with him, cracked jokes-were indulgent when he "hogged" certain vehicles that caught his fancy, and smiled and laughed. They ask every week when he is coming back, and send little notes and messages home for him. Only a child can see into the heart of another with such purity, and they are our gift to treasure and nourish. (I digressed, sorry)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl;770185 wrote: Spot, I really like that article you posted. That is a good example of caring and loving children-I understand the validity part of why you posted it. You do want to know the background of things posted. (I know I like to see things quoted and know their source, and full copy and paste of it, not parts)

Your article shows love in action, and how a child shows this. The one about the girl in a coma is very touching, and shows true love. It is like the small children at my church, when my husband comes once in awhile when in good health or weather conditions, they sit by him and talk to him. At a Christmas brunch, the little boys brought their hot wheel cars, played with him, cracked jokes-were indulgent when he "hogged" certain vehicles that caught his fancy, and smiled and laughed. They ask every week when he is coming back, and send little notes and messages home for him. Only a child can see into the heart of another with such purity, and they are our gift to treasure and nourish. (I digressed, sorry)
:yh_hugs You have such a soft touch. I want to be like you if I grow up. :-6
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Spot, you didn't answer the question about have you got any children?

I would just like to add that my son, at the tender age of 4 has said two of the 'quotes' in the OP, I have one of them on tape. Obviously he didn't use exactly the same words, but the same meaning is apparent.

Spot, although you are suggesting that the contents of the OP are apochryphal, there are children around who do say such things, and I am prepared to believe that the 'quotes' in the OP could well have been said. Children of all ages can really amaze adults with such 'mature' thinking.

Spot, just astound us, and start a thread yourself that provokes deep debate, instead of pouncing on an innocently authored thread that is doing no harm to anybody, and perhaps bringing a smile to a lot of peoples faces. Is this your

' raison d' etre ' (sorry about the missing circumflex), to be so bullyingly pedantic, to behave like a heat-seeking missile, relentlessly finding it's target to unleash such devastation on innocent victims.

I do, however, have a soft spot for you Spot ! ................................... I apologise sincerely to all our Irish members for thinking such a thought ! Maybe this last paragraph will have gone over the heads of many members reading this, but I do hope it hasn't gone over your head Spot - you should know the unwritten words.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

G#Gill;770190 wrote: Spot, you didn't answer the question about have you got any children? Post #19
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Accountable;770193 wrote: Post #19

Thanks Acc, I missed that bit ! Just shows I'm not as observant as others, in my haste :wah: :rolleyes:

Apologies to Spot :o
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Peg

Post by Peg »

spot;770126 wrote: I didn't ask whether any of them were believable, I asked whether you thought those quotes came from 4-8 Year Olds. If "a group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds" they'd have published their results, that's why they're a group of professional people. If anyone, any time, posts the professional source for these quotes from a group of professional people then I'll never post again, how's that? It's an invented post written years ago by a liar, Kay, and subsequently spread by fools. It's not true. It's not what it claims to be. It's a lie.

The final one has been credited to Leo Buscalgia.

LINK
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

i agree Kay, it's just a fluffy thread that meant no harm..

Spot needs some stress reliever or somat or I feel his head will explode...so much anger lol:D:D
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

kazalala;770178 wrote: Kay i dont think ACC meant you as in your name kay, i think he meant okay, but abbreviated it, slang if you know whay i mean:wah::wah:

ahhhhhhhhhhh ok soz ACC:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

kayleneaussie;770286 wrote: ahhhhhhhhhhh ok soz ACC:-4
Deaf old so and so:wah::wah::wah::p
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Carolly;770290 wrote: Deaf old so and so:wah::wah::wah::p

yea I lost me hearing aid Petal:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1

Return to “Kids Family”