Home Schooling vs Mainstream School

Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Which do you think is best? How were you, or your kids educated? What are the benefits/pit falls?
Peg

Post by Peg »

Both of my kids went to public schools. However, my son did "virtual learning" for a semester. It's where you get your assignments over the computer and send them to the teacher when they are completed. I loved it. He could work at his own pace, I could help when he needed it, and when I couldn't help, help was only an email away, and there was no peer pressure. He, on the other hand, hated it. He missed being with his friends and felt out of the loop when they'd talk about things going on in school.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I went to public school and my daughter does and my son will in august (boo-hoo!). I want them to have the interaction; dealing with all kinds of people, different teaching styles, etc. But we live in an area with an excellant school system and with like minded people. :-6
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I don’t think that home schooling is healthy, part of life is learning how to interact with other people, make friends, have fights, make up etc. People who are home schooled are deprived from learning social interaction.

I also think that it is unhealthy for parents. I think that it is good for parents to get away from their kids.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I went to public schools only. Of course, that was back when the dino's were the main transportation...:p

My oldest son has gone to all three....public, private and homeschooled. I LOVED home-schooling,(I only did it for 1 year and a half) but he didn't ....it was a lot of work for me at the time, but He really did benefit from it. I put him back into the school system though :-1......He is graduating this year and I can't wait. I wish that I could home-school my two younger boys and SO do they. Unfortunately for me, I am not able to do it in my current situation :-1:-1

The emphasis on social interaction, In my opinion is highly over-rated. I know many kids that have been home-schooled and are very capable of interaction and socialize with people just fine and dandy.

I just think a small classroom setting is easier to focus on what they are learning, plus everyone learns differently....speaking of....SOMEONE is supposed to be doing HER school work :o
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Can you home-school right through to graduation. I am just wondering how a 17 year old would feel about that. What about further education - college etc?
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;759705 wrote: You can home school to graduation and colleges are actually very eager ti have home schooled kids because of the maturity level they exhibit.

What state do you live in? Never mind---you're not American..

:eek: :wah: Pheasy falls off her perch
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Do you have to be American then ;)
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;759728 wrote: No, but I don't know the laws of your country. I'm not even sure what country your flag represents. What does that say about home schooling?:)

So here goes Pheasy's first home-school lesson :wah:

Its the George Cross and it is the England part of the Union Jack, which represents England, Scotland and Wales

Hey I might just be good at this :wah:
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Just to confuse things :wah:

Pop quiz - Whose flag is this? ....

Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;759769 wrote: I give up and it looks like no one else is going to answer...So, what flag is it?

Its the Pennsylvania flag, and that is where I live now.

So now, do I still need to be American to home-school :D ;)
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

rjwould;759836 wrote: I also live in Pennsylvania. You can get all the info and help you need here. The state has certain requirements which are easy to adhere to. What ever you do, don't let the school system boss you around. In fact, since your son/daughter is 17, I believe the school system has no more say over him/her. So, unless you want a diploma from that school (which I don't know why that would be important) instead of a home school facility, you do not have to do anything for your local school district. The school will tell you otherwise, but get info from the site I referenced..

:eek: You live in PA and didn't know the flag :wah: :wah:

If you don't mind I'll pass on you home-schooling me - just joking with you :wah:
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

You can do it Pheasy, and RJ is right, they will give you a hard time by going against the public system, but it is your right as a parent to educate your child. I'm sure the laws are different in PA than in VA....and its been a few years, but there is SO much info out there now I'm sure....I'm rooting for you and Josh!!:-6
Peg

Post by Peg »

If my son had continued the virtual learning, he would have still graduated from his high school, with his class. You are still considered part of the class.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Because of the distance we lived from schools I taught both my children.

At the time I had no qualifications to teach .It was all trial & error.

Poor kids:wah:

Home schooling was fun most of the time.

We stuck to the school hours,except when we were shearing our sheep ,that is when our kids had their holidays ,they loved to help out in the sheds at shearing.

It was a bit hard being a Mum & a teacher so we had to have rules as to when those two changed.

I taught both the kids till the where finished their school years.

The kids taught me how to do fractions,so I learnt as well:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.

Return to “Kids Family”