Poll: Teachers trained in basic CPR?

Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Do you think teachers should be trained in basic CPR and recognition/treatment of common medical problems. ie. asthma, anaphylaxtic shock etc.

If not, why not?
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

ThePheasant;697360 wrote: Do you think teachers should be trained in basic CPR and recognition/treatment of common medical problems. ie. asthma, anaphylaxtic shock etc.

If not, why not?

Yes I do
Very nearly perfect ... :D
gmc

Post by gmc »

No, it's not their job to be medical practitioners and most schools will have first aiders on hand anyway. They're there to teach not babysit.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

gmc;697367 wrote: No, it's not their job to be medical practitioners and most schools will have first aiders on hand anyway. They're there to teach not babysit.

Not all schools have a full-time school nurse / medical practitioner. Also, at those 'now or die' situations, is there time to get/find the nurse. Also, it is not a requirement (in our school district anyway) for school nurse / medical practitioner to attend school trips.

I agree, they are there to teach - but in addition responsible for the childs welfare.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

At the school my kids attended in our district and my wife used to work at all of the teachers and staff go through CPR training yearly.
minks

Post by minks »

yes

I know in many places of employment CPR training is a must have.

As well people like coaches and scout leaders must have CPR training.

I also believe there is a certain month of the year where they set aside a promo day to encourage as many people as possible to be CPR certified.

It saves lives.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

ThePheasant;697369 wrote: Not all schools have a full-time school nurse / medical practitioner. Also, at those 'now or die' situations, is there time to get/find the nurse. Also, it is not a requirement (in our school district anyway) for school nurse / medical practitioner to attend school trips.

I agree, they are there to teach - but in addition responsible for the childs welfare.

yes and if the teacher is the one on duty at recess they need to be prepared for anything from a broken limb to a CPR incident.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

I think basic first aid should be taught at school itself, starting simple for the little 'uns then more involved as they get older.

Even the smallest child can be taught to put an adult in the recovery position or when to phone for emergency help.

However, and I say this from first hand experience, doing CPR on a real person is very different from a dummy and the success rate is not high - not to say that it shouldn't be attempted because it can succeed.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Many states require this, but not all. I think it should be a basic requirement, with yearly certification renewed.

Return to “Kids Family”