Found 16 Y.O.'s Myspace Site! HELP

PerfectAngel

Post by PerfectAngel »

I accidentally found out over the weekend that my 16 year old stepdaughter has a "Myspace" account. :eek: One of her friends was over at our house and she slipped up and said something about a funny comment that was sent to our stepdaughter! :lips: When she saw the look on my face, I think she realized that she "slipped up"! When my stepdaughter got out of the shower, I told her to give me her account information and password. She kept on refusing to give it to me. I threatened her and told her that she would be on restriction for a MONTH if she did not tell. She kept saying "But you won't like what you see!". For the most part, she has been a very good child growing up, and we have not had any problems with her! She FINALLY ended up telling me the info to get into her account. I am not familiar with myspace, but boy was I shocked! :yh_nailbi She had bloody handprints as her background, with pictures of dead bodies everywhere. She is into the whole "GOTHIC" thing, but I never expected to see all that! The ONLY good thing I can say is that she had posted a guestionare on the account with about 20 questions for her friends to answer. The friends all replied and answered all of the questions. One of the questions was "Do you think that I am a virgin?". EVERY SINGLE one of her friends replied to that particular question, and stated that they KNEW FOR SURE that she was a virgin! So, needles to say I was like "WWWWhhhheeewwww"!. I was mad at first because she didn't tell us about her account and I didn't like the whole blood and guts thing. But I was relieved to see that she is still a virgin! I talked to her about the whole thing for a good while. When I asked her what was up with the bloody stuff, she replied "I just wanted my friends to think that my account on myspace was cool!". So what do I do from here? Do I make her delete the account, or do I make her change her back ground, or should I just leave it alone? I told her that I still haven't decided what I was going to do about her not telling us about the account, but after us parents discussed the issue, we were leaning towards letting her keep the account. We talked about "Reminding" her that we have her password, and that we plan on keeping close tabs on her account activity. We also thought that it would be a good idea to change the bloody back ground! Has anybody encountered anything like this? Any advice? THANKS! :confused:
weeder

Post by weeder »

My son, who is 22 has a MySpace page. From what I have seen his group is always trying to outdo each other with artsy kind of stuff. Your nieces home page doesnt necessarly mean that she is " Into" the stuff she is putting up. She is trying to create an out of the ordinary image, so she will stand out from everyone else. I wouldnt wildly over react. But I would watch for changes in her personality, style of dress etc.... and of course be aware of how much time she is spending on the computer. Its a tough line to walk... trying to maintain controll, but not violating her privacy.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
minks

Post by minks »

PerfectAngel;690341 wrote: I accidentally found out over the weekend that my 16 year old stepdaughter has a "Myspace" account. :eek: One of her friends was over at our house and she slipped up and said something about a funny comment that was sent to our stepdaughter! :lips: When she saw the look on my face, I think she realized that she "slipped up"! When my stepdaughter got out of the shower, I told her to give me her account information and password. She kept on refusing to give it to me. I threatened her and told her that she would be on restriction for a MONTH if she did not tell. She kept saying "But you won't like what you see!". For the most part, she has been a very good child growing up, and we have not had any problems with her! She FINALLY ended up telling me the info to get into her account. I am not familiar with myspace, but boy was I shocked! :yh_nailbi She had bloody handprints as her background, with pictures of dead bodies everywhere. She is into the whole "GOTHIC" thing, but I never expected to see all that! The ONLY good thing I can say is that she had posted a guestionare on the account with about 20 questions for her friends to answer. The friends all replied and answered all of the questions. One of the questions was "Do you think that I am a virgin?". EVERY SINGLE one of her friends replied to that particular question, and stated that they KNEW FOR SURE that she was a virgin! So, needles to say I was like "WWWWhhhheeewwww"!. I was mad at first because she didn't tell us about her account and I didn't like the whole blood and guts thing. But I was relieved to see that she is still a virgin! I talked to her about the whole thing for a good while. When I asked her what was up with the bloody stuff, she replied "I just wanted my friends to think that my account on myspace was cool!". So what do I do from here? Do I make her delete the account, or do I make her change her back ground, or should I just leave it alone? I told her that I still haven't decided what I was going to do about her not telling us about the account, but after us parents discussed the issue, we were leaning towards letting her keep the account. We talked about "Reminding" her that we have her password, and that we plan on keeping close tabs on her account activity. We also thought that it would be a good idea to change the bloody back ground! Has anybody encountered anything like this? Any advice? THANKS! :confused:

Children will always have secrets from us.

I think for the most part you handled the situation well. Remember kids love their privacy, and generally they love "shock" so yep they are usually trying to out do each other with the shock stuff. It is a form of expression for some. I think you should let her keep her account, but also remind her it is the internet and to play safe, do not give out information that could lead others to actually finding her in real life. Remind her the dangers of stalkers online, pedophiles (I can't spell that word) and general creeps who can read her stuff.

Also be warned pictures will show up and they may be pics of things you may not want to see... ie parties with friends, drinking, the latest trend of girls mauling each other, yeah that happens.

Yay she is still a virgin but please understand that one day she will not be, I strongly suggest the birthcontrol chat.

I hope that isn't sounding too awful, but I speak as a mother of a 20 year old daughter who shocked me with a grandson (both of whom I love dearly) and a 16 year old daughter who is just starting into this kind of stuff, the parties, the drinks, the sex.

It's reality.

If you wish to chat more about it please feel free to PM me.

It's not all that easy or all that cut and dry.

Minks
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
PerfectAngel

Post by PerfectAngel »

weeder;690344 wrote: My son, who is 22 has a MySpace page. From what I have seen his group is always trying to outdo each other with artsy kind of stuff. Your nieces home page doesnt necessarly mean that she is " Into" the stuff she is putting up. She is trying to create an out of the ordinary image, so she will stand out from everyone else. I wouldnt wildly over react. But I would watch for changes in her personality, style of dress etc.... and of course be aware of how much time she is spending on the computer. Its a tough line to walk... trying to maintain controll, but not violating her privacy.

Thank You for the advice! She is into art alot! She has always loved to draw, and she is very talented. We did sort of feel bad after we looked at her account, but with all of the temptations for our teens to get into nowadays, we do try very hard to monitor what, who, and where she goes! We have taught her to just be honest and tell us things, so that her actions don't "appear" to be sneaky! :sneaky: I also told her that if we didn't love her, we wouldn't worry! :-4
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

weeder;690344 wrote: My son, who is 22 has a MySpace page. From what I have seen his group is always trying to outdo each other with artsy kind of stuff. Your nieces home page doesnt necessarly mean that she is " Into" the stuff she is putting up. She is trying to create an out of the ordinary image, so she will stand out from everyone else. I wouldnt wildly over react. But I would watch for changes in her personality, style of dress etc.... and of course be aware of how much time she is spending on the computer. Its a tough line to walk... trying to maintain controll, but not violating her privacy.

I agree, she is at the age now where she should be allowed a certain amount of privacy, and its hard for parents to decide where to draw the line. Like Weeder said i wouldnt worry too much about the background. If you take total control and delete her account or make her put up a background of cute puppies (:wah:) she may then stop telling you anything and hide things even more. I think its a good idea to let her know she can trust you to confide anything, and that you will listen to her and talk sensibly about it without freaking out. Easy for me to say i know:wah: good luck anyway.

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
PerfectAngel

Post by PerfectAngel »

minks;690349 wrote: Children will always have secrets from us.

I think for the most part you handled the situation well. Remember kids love their privacy, and generally they love "shock" so yep they are usually trying to out do each other with the shock stuff. It is a form of expression for some. I think you should let her keep her account, but also remind her it is the internet and to play safe, do not give out information that could lead others to actually finding her in real life. Remind her the dangers of stalkers online, pedophiles (I can't spell that word) and general creeps who can read her stuff.

Also be warned pictures will show up and they may be pics of things you may not want to see... ie parties with friends, drinking, the latest trend of girls mauling each other, yeah that happens.

Yay she is still a virgin but please understand that one day she will not be, I strongly suggest the birthcontrol chat.

I hope that isn't sounding too awful, but I speak as a mother of a 20 year old daughter who shocked me with a grandson (both of whom I love dearly) and a 16 year old daughter who is just starting into this kind of stuff, the parties, the drinks, the sex.

It's reality.

If you wish to chat more about it please feel free to PM me.

It's not all that easy or all that cut and dry.

Minks

OMG~I think I would FREAK if she had girls mauling eachother on there! TOTALLY FREAK! I was also VERY relieved to see that she did NOT put any personal information as to where she lives or her age! (I bought her a laptop for her 16th birthday, and we had a VERY, LONG, SERIOUS, discussion about all of the online dangers, and PREDATORS out there!) She also promised me that she would NEVER put pictures of herself on there either! THANK THE GOOD LORD! :yh_angel
minks

Post by minks »

PerfectAngel;690355 wrote: OMG~I think I would FREAK if she had girls mauling eachother on there! TOTALLY FREAK! I was also VERY relieved to see that she did NOT put any personal information as to where she lives or her age! (I bought her a laptop for her 16th birthday, and we had a VERY, LONG, SERIOUS, discussion about all of the online dangers, and PREDATORS out there!) She also promised me that she would NEVER put pictures of herself on there either! THANK THE GOOD LORD! :yh_angel

ooo maul hehe maybe a little harsh but they show off by hugging and fake kissing each other, I think it's all in fun for them don't worry too much.

― Mae West
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

PerfectAngel;690355 wrote: OMG~I think I would FREAK if she had girls mauling eachother on there! TOTALLY FREAK! I was also VERY relieved to see that she did NOT put any personal information as to where she lives or her age! (I bought her a laptop for her 16th birthday, and we had a VERY, LONG, SERIOUS, discussion about all of the online dangers, and PREDATORS out there!) She also promised me that she would NEVER put pictures of herself on there either! THANK THE GOOD LORD! :yh_angel

Oh dear,, im so sorry but i think you are going to do a lot of freaking out:wah::lips:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
minks

Post by minks »

kazalala;690359 wrote: Oh dear,, im so sorry but i think you are going to do a lot of freaking out:wah::lips:

Oiy I have to agree with ya there Kaz.

― Mae West
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

minks;690361 wrote: Oiy I have to agree with ya there Kaz.

I have to say,, my daughter has always been a bit too honest with me:wah: I find myself saying ,, please do i really need to know that? There seems to be nothing at all she wont talk about:wah: My son at 23 years old also actually wanted to show me his new piercing in a very private and delicate area :eek: I said no thanks:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

AngelEyes82;690373 wrote: Lol.... I always gave my mom too much info.. then when I'd talk she'd tell me to go to my room.. if she asked why I didn't tell her something I'd say because you told me to shut up and go away. :wah:

:wah:good answer. My niece couldnt wait to tell her mother that she had had sex for the first time:o my sis in law was gobsmacked :wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
minks

Post by minks »

i have one of each, My oldest tells me all

youngest tells me naught

― Mae West
PerfectAngel

Post by PerfectAngel »

kazalala;690369 wrote: I have to say,, my daughter has always been a bit too honest with me:wah: I find myself saying ,, please do i really need to know that? There seems to be nothing at all she wont talk about:wah: My son at 23 years old also actually wanted to show me his new piercing in a very private and delicate area :eek: I said no thanks:D

EWWWWWWWW, I know...Right!
PerfectAngel

Post by PerfectAngel »

kazalala;690375 wrote: :wah:good answer. My niece couldnt wait to tell her mother that she had had sex for the first time:o my sis in law was gobsmacked :wah:

I remember my parents telling me NOT to have sex for many reasons, one of which was because I "Truely" could NOT enjoy it, and apprecieate it until I was much older. At the time, I thought they were out of their minds! :yh_laugh Now that I am much, much older, I see exactly what they mean! (and I respect them for what they told me!)

Post by 911 »

PerfectAngel;690341 wrote: I accidentally found out over the weekend that my 16 year old stepdaughter has a "Myspace" account. :eek: One of her friends was over at our house and she slipped up and said something about a funny comment that was sent to our stepdaughter! :lips: When she saw the look on my face, I think she realized that she "slipped up"! When my stepdaughter got out of the shower, I told her to give me her account information and password. She kept on refusing to give it to me. I threatened her and told her that she would be on restriction for a MONTH if she did not tell. She kept saying "But you won't like what you see!". For the most part, she has been a very good child growing up, and we have not had any problems with her! She FINALLY ended up telling me the info to get into her account. I am not familiar with myspace, but boy was I shocked! :yh_nailbi She had bloody handprints as her background, with pictures of dead bodies everywhere. She is into the whole "GOTHIC" thing, but I never expected to see all that! The ONLY good thing I can say is that she had posted a guestionare on the account with about 20 questions for her friends to answer. The friends all replied and answered all of the questions. One of the questions was "Do you think that I am a virgin?". EVERY SINGLE one of her friends replied to that particular question, and stated that they KNEW FOR SURE that she was a virgin! So, needles to say I was like "WWWWhhhheeewwww"!. I was mad at first because she didn't tell us about her account and I didn't like the whole blood and guts thing. But I was relieved to see that she is still a virgin! I talked to her about the whole thing for a good while. When I asked her what was up with the bloody stuff, she replied "I just wanted my friends to think that my account on myspace was cool!". So what do I do from here? Do I make her delete the account, or do I make her change her back ground, or should I just leave it alone? I told her that I still haven't decided what I was going to do about her not telling us about the account, but after us parents discussed the issue, we were leaning towards letting her keep the account. We talked about "Reminding" her that we have her password, and that we plan on keeping close tabs on her account activity. We also thought that it would be a good idea to change the bloody back ground! Has anybody encountered anything like this? Any advice? THANKS! :

You sound like a very good, sensible mother. She's a very lucky little girl.

I say let her keep the background. Look around here and how often the people here change their avatars and sigs. She'll grow bored with it and want something new.

Perhaps get her some scrapbooking books that have pics in them or books of things that interest her. Just tell her you saw the book and thought she might be interested. Don't tell her it's for her 'space'. Maybe she will come up with a new idea soon and change it.

Keep being a good calm mother! :-6
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
PerfectAngel

Post by PerfectAngel »

911;690429 wrote: You sound like a very good, sensible mother. She's a very lucky little girl.

I say let her keep the background. Look around here and how often the people here change their avatars and sigs. She'll grow bored with it and want something new.

Perhaps get her some scrapbooking books that have pics in them or books of things that interest her. Just tell her you saw the book and thought she might be interested. Don't tell her it's for her 'space'. Maybe she will come up with a new idea soon and change it.

Keep being a good calm mother! :-6

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart! :-4 What a great idea with the scrapbook. She has notebooks all over the house with her drawings in them. If we get her a scrapbook that she works very hard on, and puts alot of energy into, then we can take it with us to family functions and get togethers so that we can "show off all of her best work"! Thanks again! My hats off to you sir!

Post by 911 »

PerfectAngel;690444 wrote: Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart! :-4 What a great idea with the scrapbook. She has notebooks all over the house with her drawings in them. If we get her a scrapbook that she works very hard on, and puts alot of energy into, then we can take it with us to family functions and get togethers so that we can "show off all of her best work"! Thanks again! My hats off to you sir!

:eek:

It's ma'am, thank you very much

:-6
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I think you did the right thing making her show you the page.:)

my daughter is still too young to go on line except to Disney or Nick jr. etc.

she has her own little Dell in the family room. and she knows thats where it's staying. No computer in her room EVER. I want to be able to monitor what she does and looks at on the net. If yor daughter already has one in her room,I'm sure you would have a fight to get it out. or maybe look for a program or download that records every key stroke on the computer. and check it when she is at school.

I know when I was 16 I would have felt like my privacy was invated.but now that I have one of my own I know now how hard it is to be a mom,especially in todays world.

If her page is private I might go ahead and let her decorate it how she wants with in reason. the dead bodies would kind of bother me too though.:yh_ghost I agree they try to out gross each other.

I read last week that you are from West Virginia. are you? If so,I'm glad to have another Mountain Mamma on board. :yh_hugs :) I'm around the Charleston area.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Kids Family”