Has anyone heard of EMO

Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

Apparently its a new phase/craze. All I can see is kids dressing in black. Talking about how much their life sucks and how they want to kill themselves. Listening to depressing music. It worries me - does anyone know more about it?
WonderWendy3

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by WonderWendy3 »

My oldest son told me all about it...he despises it!! He gets all upset about it...because he knows how life can really be hard and these kids complain about stupid stuff...it's very bad...because it promotes depression and suicide from what I understand!:-1
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

The teenage years can be hard enough, without feeding on this stuff. It scares me.

http://myhighschooljournalism.org/fl/we ... &aid=52648
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

WonderWendy3;625206 wrote: My oldest son told me all about it...he despises it!! He gets all upset about it...because he knows how life can really be hard and these kids complain about stupid stuff...it's very bad...because it promotes depression and suicide from what I understand!:-1

Your son sounds like a sensible boy - lets hope there are more like him and not too many teens get drawn into this. I just see a major rise in teenage suicide. :mad:
WonderWendy3

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by WonderWendy3 »

ThePheasant;625213 wrote: Your son sounds like a sensible boy - lets hope there are more like him and not too many teens get drawn into this. I just see a major rise in teenage suicide. :mad:

It's actually been around for a few or more years...my son told me about it when he was in middle school....kinda went from "grunge" to "Emo"...luckily my Son is very sensible...don't have a clue how that happened...:yh_whistl But, very proud of him.

Kids these days have way too much to deal with to have this as a choice of a "way of life"...which ummm, it's NOT....just a horrible phase that seems like it can be very harmful if not dealt with:-1
Peg

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Peg »

Emo is kind of phasing out around here. My kids thought gothic was cool, but emo stupid. I'm glad they grew out of the gothic phase and never got into the emo phase.
minks

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by minks »

I wikipedia'd it and came up with this....

The term emo comes from the word "emotional". "At its core, emo is all about being upfront with your emotions"[5] and because the focus of emo music is "dealing with sadness and love and angst...also characterized by particularly dramatic vocals which, at best, left the audience == in an emotionally charged state"[5] there is more to being emo than just being sad. One common expression of "feeling emo" writing poetry. Poetry addresses feelings such as confusion, depression, loneliness, angst, anger, being misunderstood, and feeling disconnected from the rest of the world. Some of the following are common themes in emo poetry : a highly emotional tone, stream of consciousness writing, a simple (ABAB) or nonexistent rhyme scheme, references to the body, especially the heart, heavy use of dark or depressing adjectives, and concern over the mutability of time, love or both. The cliché "life is pain" and similar variants are also common.[8]
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

selfarming seems to be very in with these freaks :thinking: :thinking:
minks

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by minks »

jimbo;625246 wrote:

selfarming seems to be very in with these freaks :thinking: :thinking:

THAT IS PRICELESS JIMBOLINO

― Mae West
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

things like this :thinking: :thinking:
menso

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by menso »

that lawn mower one is funny jimbo:)

Emo scares me. Two of my friend are into it, they're not who they were when i met them.
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

go to photobucket type in emo ,its sick :( :(
minks

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by minks »

menso;625250 wrote: that lawn mower one is funny jimbo:)

Emo scares me. Two of my friend are into it, they're not who they were when i met them.

With luck it's a phase, a passing fad. I know when I was in my teens dark poetry was my thing and I think every kid goes through that "darkness" and with luck EMO is just an outward showing of it as opposed to keeping it inside and maybe making it dangerous.

― Mae West
minks

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by minks »

jimbo;625251 wrote: go to photobucket type in emo ,its sick :( :(

photobucket scares me

― Mae West
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

menso;625250 wrote: that lawn mower one is funny jimbo:)

oh no its worse than i thought ,emo ,they are body snatching aliens

:wah: :wah:
minks

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by minks »

jimbo;625255 wrote: oh no its worse than i thought ,emo ,they are body snatching aliens

:wah: :wah:

no way really!!!!

― Mae West
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

minks;625257 wrote: no way really!!!!

hey grumpy girl catch the nice stick

:sneaky: :sneaky:
menso

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by menso »

minks;625253 wrote: With luck it's a phase, a passing fad. I know when I was in my teens dark poetry was my thing and I think every kid goes through that "darkness" and with luck EMO is just an outward showing of it as opposed to keeping it inside and maybe making it dangerous.

I hope so.
minks

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by minks »

jimbo;625260 wrote: hey grumpy girl catch the nice stick

fetch girl fetch!!! :wah:

― Mae West
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

:-5 I'm trying to find my sense of humour here. I just spent the last 40 mins trying to find something funny about emo (not already found). You know Pheasy - wacky bird - my searches depressed me. I hope kids don't get sucked into this.
saffy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by saffy »

ThePheasant;625204 wrote: Apparently its a new phase/craze. All I can see is kids dressing in black. Talking about how much their life sucks and how they want to kill themselves. Listening to depressing music. It worries me - does anyone know more about it?

It's been around for ages!
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

saffy;625282 wrote: It's been around for ages!

I didn't realize that - I guess I'm an old bird. My son just started talking about it :mad:
saffy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by saffy »

Honestly, it's just another thing some kids go through..

No need to be angry about it.

We've had Mods, rockers, ravers, deathmetalers and teddyboys (boy the trouble they caused) and so on..

Best thing you can do is find out more about it and try to understand their reasons for wanting to do what they want to do.

And share your mascara obviously..
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

saffy;625286 wrote: Honestly, it's just another thing some kids go through..

No need to be angry about it.

We've had Mods, rockers, ravers, deathmetalers and teddyboys (boy the trouble they caused) and so on..

Best thing you can do is find out more about it and try to understand their reasons for wanting to do what they want to do.

And share your mascara obviously..

But I don't remember mods, rockers etc, being so obsessed with suicide.
saffy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by saffy »

Life has changed for kids, huge expectations are placed onto them, the nuclear family is rarely the norm now adays and extended families very rare in the western world.

Can't blame them for being a bit emotional sometimes(a tad selfindulgent maybe?)...I do think the suicide thing is quite hyped up though.

I know people who class themselves as Emo and they like fashion and shock value but not into killing themselves.

I like Black Sabbath but I have never partiularly wanted to worship satan.

Mods and rockers were more into kicking 7 shades of ***** out of one another and popping pills...lol
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

saffy;625296 wrote: Life has changed for kids, huge expectations are placed onto them, the nuclear family is rarely the norm now adays and extended families very rare in the western world.

Can't blame them for being a bit emotional sometimes(a tad selfindulgent maybe?)...I do think the suicide thing is quite hyped up though.

I know people who class themselves as Emo and they like fashion and shock value but not into killing themselves.

I like Black Sabbath but I have never partiularly wanted to worship satan.

Mods and rockers were more into kicking 7 shades of ***** out of one another and popping pills...lol

I guess it depends on the child also. I went through phases as a child but never really thought it would ever change/control my life. However my son is a very emotional child and this 'phase' could influence him far more than others.

And of course - I'm his Mum - and I'm going to worry about everything :-5
saffy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by saffy »

Keeping the communication between you open is the most important thing...

And of course as a mum you're going to worry!..totally natural.
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

saffy;625303 wrote: Keeping the communication between you open is the most important thing...

And of course as a mum you're going to worry!..totally natural.

Thanks Saffy :-4 :-4
Peg

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Peg »

I think Saffy hit the nail on the head. I allowed my son to have a pink mohawk. HE had to deal with the consequences. It didn't take long for him to outgrow the phase. Had I fought him on it, he would've never outgrown it. Although, for the first time in years he has a mohawk again. :wah: He's cutting it in a week and going job hunting. It's kind of his last hoorah before adulthood. He's kind of like his mom and likes the shock value. It's not neccessarily a bad thing. :-3
LttleGel

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by LttleGel »

I'm a high school student (graduating next wednesday) and I have never been involved in this "emo" phase and really don't understand it. Sure, I complain about life sometimes, and have my fair share of problems, but constantly complaining, wanting someone to take pity on you, and causing yourself pain won't make it better, and it certainly won't help you feel better, only worse. I would say to any parent who finds their kid has entered this phase, to let them know they are here to talk, if they need anything. However, most times, by the time, they have reached the emo phase, it is much too late to do anything about it because they no longer care to listen. Sooo I guess the best you can do is hope they grow out of it, and keep reminding them you are here if they need you.

It's seriously become a joke now though.. ive actually joked about a kid that i knew who was emo. (im not friends with the kid) and soo i said, "Omg (oh my god, for those of you who dont know STILL) I'm sooo emo, let me go and cut myself." Maybe it sounds stupid, and doesn't make sense.. but then again neither does the whole emo phase.

-Gel
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

its not all doom and gloom

emo :wah: :wah:
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

jimbo;625427 wrote: its not all doom and gloom

emo :wah:

:yh_rotfl You seriously worry me sometimes Jimbo :wah:
zinkyusa

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by zinkyusa »

ELMO?:confused:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Pheasy

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Pheasy »

zinkyusa;625546 wrote: ELMO?:confused:

:wah: Just go with it Zinky - don't try to understand Jimbo, its just too scary :wah:
WonderWendy3

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I didn't come back to this thread, thinking it may have gotten depressing...being about emo and all that...

Little did I know that Jimbo would make me laugh and if I had not JUST swallowed my drink, the monitor would be dripping!!

ELMO!!:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl

beautyful

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by beautyful »

There are a load of kids in the UK who claim to be emo but they mostly use it as some sort of 'label' coz its cool to be different :thinking:

I think most of them just dress in a certain way and listen to certain music but take it no further than that, its not really a lifestyle for them, there are those I guess who take it further but for most kids i think it is more an outward expression through clothes of trying to fit into a certain 'movement'

me and my friends use it as a term to describe certain clothes or singers, 'oh thats very emo' etc and we even call one of our friends boyfriends 'emo' but despite the way he looks he definately isn't into cutting himself or suicide or anything like that

try not to worry, its just a phase as others have said...children tend to grow out of such phases as they enter the adult world!
WonderWendy3

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Although....ummm He does have a bad side to him though....

I found these ..........

Richard Bell

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Richard Bell »

A heartwrenching dirge, dripping with teen angst (well, sort of ...)

Trevor, by George Westerholm :

http://blog.jason.elinc.ca/wp-content/G ... Trevor.mp3

:( :-1 :confused:
WonderWendy3

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Richard Bell;625709 wrote: A heartwrenching dirge, dripping with teen angst (well, sort of ...)

Trevor, by George Westerholm :

http://blog.jason.elinc.ca/wp-content/G ... Trevor.mp3

:confused:

Okay...I listened to the whole thing...and I want to slit my wrists with a dull object!!

"I was like HELLO"--that was the stupidist thing I ever heard, all I could think is that they used to think Elvis was evil??? :-5 :-5 :-5
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

WonderWendy3;625744 wrote: Okay...I listened to the whole thing...and I want to slit my wrists with a dull object!!

"I was like HELLO"--that was the stupidist thing I ever heard, all I could think is that they used to think Elvis was evil??? :-5

i always thought he invented jeans :D :D

Nyx

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Nyx »

Yea, I think EMO is just another label and style. My daughter is into the gothic look but says being 'emo' is stupid. I have even overheard her telling her friend "Stop being so Emo'. The scary thing is some of our children will have troubles, depression and hurt themselves no matter what 'label' they belong to.
NotToday

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by NotToday »

almostfamous;625265 wrote: I didn't know they were what we call "cutters" :-2

When we see them here, it looks more like just a fashion statement. the way they cut their hair and the 80's styled-tapered leg britches. <~~~~~ you might be a country girl if you use the word.......... what? britches!!!! :wah:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax, and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
Carl44

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by Carl44 »

i dont know why this reminds me of almostemo and not today

koan

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by koan »

I wonder what percentage of kids that like the emo fashion style actually think about killing themselves. When I was a teen there was one girl in the group of about twelve of us who cut herself. We all ignored her because she liked to show us the little scratches on her arms. (eta: if we'd discovered it by accident it would have been taken more seriously) Hopefully she didn't get serious about it later but there's not a lot we could have done more than we did - talking to her like one of the group and not indulging her negativity.

Watching that video, it strikes me that I've seen a number of kids dressing in that style who actually smile and look like they are enjoying themselves. I've used the term Emo before but not knowing it was a movement. I used it to describe geeky people... a reference to Emo Phillips, the stand up comic.

Glad I know what the current meaning is now so I don't misuse it.
NotToday

Has anyone heard of EMO

Post by NotToday »

jimbo;626537 wrote: i dont know why this reminds me of almostemo and not today

OMG MY LIFE ISS SOOO AWFUL LIKE OH MY GOD EVERYTHING SUCKS IM SO EMO

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax, and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Kids Family”