Children under three 'should not watch TV'

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

From the good old "Daily Telegraph":

"Children under three should see no television and it should be severely rationed for older youngsters, an expert told MPs yesterday. Parents should restrict them to a recommended daily allowance, said Dr Aric Sigman.

He believes too much watching increases the risk of health and learning problems and said the Government must take action.

He also believes there should be no sets in children's bedrooms and new mothers should be warned of the possible effects of too much television.

Studies have shown that excessive TV watching is linked to difficulty in sleeping, behavioural problems and increased obesity in children.

One long-term study in 2004 found that children who watched more than two hours a day between the ages of five and 15 saw their health suffer years later.

"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... kids24.xml
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

This was being discussed on the radio this morning (Radio 4)

There were a lot more implication that I'd never considered prior to listening. Lots of very random effects that have been proven during studies, that you would not guess are related to watching too much TV.

I agree that young children should not just be plonked in front of a TV set, like it's a babysitter.

We only have one TV in a three storey house, and it's only on for a couple of hours in the evening.
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

I totally agree with this, i know its easier when you are stressed out and tired to stick a kid in front of the tv but you're missing out on quality time that you could be spending doing something creative which will benefit the kid so much more. I'm not saying never let them watch the tv, there are some great educational programmes out there but just not too much, they need to be outside in the fresh air or talking to their family and growing by learning from their family and what they see around them , ok rant over :wah:
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

I disagree that they shouldn't watch it at all but I think some young childrens TV is very educational and good for them to see. Too many though I think use TV as a lazy way of entertaining their kids.
minks

Post by minks »

Not to mention it promots gross inactivity at an early age....

Turn it OFF!!!!
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Sweet Tooth

Post by Sweet Tooth »

When I was younger, I was only allowed to watch Sesame Street, and by the time I went to kindergarten, I could already read and write. Now that I have a daughter of my own, we watch sesame street and Little Einstein's- only because they come on at 2 totally different times of the day- Little Einstein's comes on right after she wakes up, when shes too sleepy to play anyway and Sesame Street right after her aft. noon nap, too tired to play still. Let's not blame the TV for child inactivity- let's blame the parents for not having more authority to turn off the tv and keep it off.

Return to “Kids Family”