Historic passenger lists of ships go online

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Don't know if anyone else will be, but I'm definitely interested.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070110/wr_ ... sengers_dc
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

That's pretty cool. :)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;511219 wrote: Don't know if anyone else will be, but I'm definitely interested.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070110/wr_ ... sengers_dc

Definitely a useful resource
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;511252 wrote: Definitely a useful resource

Too bad it's only limited to Great Britain...

My great grandmother came over here from Germany at what we have estimated at about 1912...I am interested to know if I still have family over in Germany...well,..I'm sure I do, because she left behind brothers and sisters(whom all saved money to have her come over here)...

It's very intriguing, yet frustrating at the same time to know I may never get a chance to meet them.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;511268 wrote: Too bad it's only limited to Great Britain...

My great grandmother came over here from Germany at what we have estimated at about 1912...I am interested to know if I still have family over in Germany...well,..I'm sure I do, because she left behind brothers and sisters(whom all saved money to have her come over here)...

It's very intriguing, yet frustrating at the same time to know I may never get a chance to meet them.

If she sailed directly from Germany then it's no go but, as the article said, many of the continentals used the UK as a staging post and are therefore recorded.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Pinky;511285 wrote: Have you tried Ancestry.com?

If you know her name, have info on where she was born or details of where and when she married, then you should be able to find out some details. From what I remember, you can research this just from names and rough dates. That way you may be able to look up other family members from her original home town.

I have tried ancestry.com and some other genealogical sites, but from most of my experiences with it, all I get are adds trying to get me to sign up for a membership for money and I lose all interest.

I will try it again and make sure I didn't overlook anything that I can use that happens to be free.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;511275 wrote: If she sailed directly from Germany then it's no go but, as the article said, many of the continentals used the UK as a staging post and are therefore recorded.

I'll probably look into it when it comes out...

Her last name was Kastner(I never really discussed the spelling with my mother but that is the best I can think of in relation to pronunciation)

I do believe that is a rather common German name though...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;511312 wrote: I'll probably look into it when it comes out...

Her last name was Kastner(I never really discussed the spelling with my mother but that is the best I can think of in relation to pronunciation)

I do believe that is a rather common German name though...

Try :-

http://www.surnameweb.org/registry/k/a/s/kastner.shtml
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;511318 wrote: Try :-

http://www.surnameweb.org/registry/k/a/s/kastner.shtml

Thanks for the link...I didn't have any luck in what it allowed me to do, but every time I would get to what I wanted to search in it would ask me for my billing information...I will look into it later, but I hate to throw my money away...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh wow...

I found my grandmother off of that link actually, but every time I click on anything to read into it it prompts me to buy a membership...I would but I'm afraid the information would be rather minimal and would tell me what I already know...Do any of you know that ancestry.com goes into great detail or if it's really worth it?

My grandmothers name is Clara and was born in 1915...

She's about midway down the list...My Great grandmother settled in Dayton Ohio, which is in Montgomery county...Her name was Minnie...I'll continue to look for her, although I don't know the exact date she was born.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... T6&pgoff=1
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Yeah that's her...

I tried the free trial, and it had taken me to this page, where the mothers name was confirmed Minnie Kastner...She was born in East Prussia...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Wow that's incredibly exciting...I can just about imagine how people will feel when that list comes out.

I actually learned that my Great grandfathers name was Andrew J Kastner from East Prussia as well.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;511420 wrote: Yeah that's her...

I tried the free trial, and it had taken me to this page, where the mothers name was confirmed Minnie Kastner...She was born in East Prussia...

Now you just have to remember to cancel it before they start charging :-)

It's good that you've crossed the water - now you have a starting point in the German system.

Best of luck
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;511424 wrote:

I actually learned that my Great grandfathers name was Andrew J Kastner from East Prussia as well.

Actually I had read that wrong...

She (My great grandmother) had married him after she came over here, but his parents were from Germany...

And with me having the last name of Snyder I think it's safe to say that I have alot of German heritage in me...

My mother has given me alot of names that she has never told me before so I have alot of work to do...

Thanks again for the site...

And yes, I will absolutely try and get as much done as I can, because I don't have $155.00 to spend right now.

Return to “Kids Family”