Global Weather Conditions

What's the weather like today?
tabby

Post by tabby »

This interactive online globe will show you current weather conditions. It's described on its "About" page as being "a visualization of global weather conditions, forecast by supercomputers, updated every three hours" ( about earth )

You can zoom in, scroll around, play with it a little, ooh & ahh & see what's going on around the world!

earth wind map
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

That's slick.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

How cool :D
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm guessing the creator would score higher than us on the geek quiz! :-3
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

WOW!!! Nice find!

Thanks for sharing.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Glad I'm not in the middle of that lot - oops, BB is

An excellent site, thank you.

Attached files
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Very, very cool Tabby!

You really know how to pick them. :yh_bigsmi

thank you for sharing.

This is a keeper.

Lady J
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

You can also tweak the settings to show temperature.

Roll it over and look at what Fuzzy is getting.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1447187 wrote: Glad I'm not in the middle of that lot - oops, BB is

An excellent site, thank you.

Been quiet for last 24 hours, yes there have been gusts but we're used to that at this time of year. Think there is another humdinger of a storm on it's way for Saturday though. :(
dkmonline

Post by dkmonline »

Weather is the state of the atmosphere, to the degree that it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy. Weather, seen from an anthropological perspective, is something all humans in the world constantly experience through their senses, at least while being outside.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

dkmonline;1476780 wrote: Weather is the state of the atmosphere, to the degree that it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy. Weather, seen from an anthropological perspective, is something all humans in the world constantly experience through their senses, at least while being outside.
That's a bit overly simplistic. If that there the case the weather in the deepest cave would be the same as on the surface.

Weather is the ever changing combination of a multitude of factors - atmospheric conditions being just one of them.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1476792 wrote: That's a bit overly simplistic. If that there the case the weather in the deepest cave would be the same as on the surface.

Weather is the ever changing combination of a multitude of factors - atmospheric conditions being just one of them.

Umm, Atmospheric conditions in a cave are much different than on the surface.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1476809 wrote: Umm, Atmospheric conditions in a cave are much different than on the surface.
That's the point. Atmospheric conditions are not the same thing as the state of the atmosphere. The state of the atmosphere refers to the pollutants within it. Atmospheric Conditions are the result of external influences, such as the Sun causing thermals & changes in pressure, etc. Obviously the state of the atmosphere, including the pollutants are a factor here also, as in the causal Greenhouse Effect. Otherwise it's like saying the cup of coffee is hot because it has coffee in the water. The coffee (the pollutant) in the water is the state of the atmosphere. The heat is the atmospheric condition. The fact that the coffee makes the liquid more dense making it stay hotter for longer (although maybe not noticably on that scale) is the Greenhouse Effect.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Some climatologists seem to be of the opinion that our weather is becoming extreme these days. Others claim that the weather extremes we are getting now are actually the world's climate returning somewhat to how it used to be before the pollution caused by the industrial revolution. I'm not totally certain about this, though I am concerned about the World's melting ice-fields and tundra swamps, as I feel these two components have the most influence (short of a volcanic/nuclear winter) on our climate; as ice on LAND melts, sea levels rise, and as tundra swamps melt CO2 and methane levels rise.

During the last ice-age, methane/CO2 levels were 30 times higher than at present, as proven by ice-cores extracted from ice formed at that time and analysed for their gas content. The Finnmarksvidda is a huge tundra swamp, similar to other large tundra swamps in Russia, and they're all melting quite quickly...

Then factor in Solar activity, with it's "peaks and troughs"...

Are we heading towards another ice-age, daft as this sounds in this era of "global warming"/"climate change?

" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Smaug;1483260 wrote: Some climatologists seem to be of the opinion that our weather is becoming extreme these days. Others claim that the weather extremes we are getting now are actually the world's climate returning somewhat to how it used to be before the pollution caused by the industrial revolution. I'm not totally certain about this, though I am concerned about the World's melting ice-fields and tundra swamps, as I feel these two components have the most influence (short of a volcanic/nuclear winter) on our climate; as ice on LAND melts, sea levels rise, and as tundra swamps melt CO2 and methane levels rise.

During the last ice-age, methane/CO2 levels were 30 times higher than at present, as proven by ice-cores extracted from ice formed at that time and analysed for their gas content. The Finnmarksvidda is a huge tundra swamp, similar to other large tundra swamps in Russia, and they're all melting quite quickly...

Then factor in Solar activity, with it's "peaks and troughs"...

Are we heading towards another ice-age, daft as this sounds in this era of "global warming"/"climate change?

Current CO2 and Methane levels are higher than ever recorded.

According to the Ice Core data from Antarctic research, the usual peak for CO2 has been near 300 ppm. We are now around 400 ppm and climbing.

Methane is approaching 2000 ppm, when its historical peaks have seldom reached 800 ppm.

We may have already "tipped the scale" and set into motion events we cannot even begin to predict. On the other hand there may be "system checks" that will cause adjustments without our interference.

How much contribution to all this can be credited to human activity may be in question, but the data indicates that our timing could not have been better. We started pumping these components into the atmosphere just as the cycle was approaching a peak.

Now they claim that we are approaching a reduced solar activity period. That might have some contribution to the thing. I doubt an Ice Age will be in the immediate future, though.

We'll see.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1483284 wrote: Current CO2 and Methane levels are higher than ever recorded.

According to the Ice Core data from Antarctic research, the usual peak for CO2 has been near 300 ppm. We are now around 400 ppm and climbing.

Methane is approaching 2000 ppm, when its historical peaks have seldom reached 800 ppm.

We may have already "tipped the scale" and set into motion events we cannot even begin to predict. On the other hand there may be "system checks" that will cause adjustments without our interference.

How much contribution to all this can be credited to human activity may be in question, but the data indicates that our timing could not have been better. We started pumping these components into the atmosphere just as the cycle was approaching a peak.

Now they claim that we are approaching a reduced solar activity period. That might have some contribution to the thing. I doubt an Ice Age will be in the immediate future, though.

We'll see.

I expect any changes as drastic as is forecast will be after I've long 'popped me clogs', so on a purely selfish note it isn't making me loose any sleep. I will, however, admit to belonging to "Greenpeace" and supporting "38 Degrees" as I do feel strongly about keeping this earth as healthy as possible without chemical 'assistance' and various other ongoing protests.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

G#Gill;1483326 wrote: I expect any changes as drastic as is forecast will be after I've long 'popped me clogs', so on a purely selfish note it isn't making me loose any sleep. I will, however, admit to belonging to "Greenpeace" and supporting "38 Degrees" as I do feel strongly about keeping this earth as healthy as possible without chemical 'assistance' and various other ongoing protests.

I don't think this will "happen overnight", but will probably take 2 or 3 decades to start making it's presence felt. Volcanoes account for more than 90% of Global pollution, so not much we can do there. However, I think that we do need to do whatever we can to minimize pollution from the "human vector" to avoid exacerbating the pollution problems we currently face.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Smaug;1483374 wrote: I don't think this will "happen overnight", but will probably take 2 or 3 decades to start making it's presence felt. Volcanoes account for more than 90% of Global pollution, so not much we can do there. However, I think that we do need to do whatever we can to minimize pollution from the "human vector" to avoid exacerbating the pollution problems we currently face.

Volcanic activity has yet to come close to the nearly 20 Billion metric tons of CO2 introduced into the atmosphere by human activity each year for the last few decades. Volcanos average at best around 200 million tons. A not insignificant amount, to be sure, but that has probably been fairly constant for many centuries, and hardly rates a 90% mark for the last couple of centuries that humans have been in the competition.
- DH Lawrence
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

LarsMac;1483394 wrote: Volcanic activity has yet to come close to the nearly 20 Billion metric tons of CO2 introduced into the atmosphere by human activity each year for the last few decades. Volcanos average at best around 200 million tons. A not insignificant amount, to be sure, but that has probably been fairly constant for many centuries, and hardly rates a 90% mark for the last couple of centuries that humans have been in the competition.

Just goes to show you can't trust everything you see on T.V. "expose's". Just a couple of years ago, I watched a "fact-finding" programme about volcanoes v humans, and the programme (can't remember it's name) stated that we only contribute between 3% - 5% pollution compared to volcanoes.

I just read an article a few minutes ago that agrees with you, Lars. I'm shocked that we produce so much! Thanks for the correction, bud!

Which produces more CO2, volcanic or human activity?

We really must put all our effort into making our energy demands SUSTAINABLE!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

In the past it's always been an ostrich approach inasmuch as asking why bother with things like solar energy when it costs more to generate it than it does to make it worthwhile, when there are things like oil that do it so much more cost effectively. Well, now people are starting to realise what damage the pollution from all that cost effectiveness is causing & that the oil itself is rapidly running out. Now it's a case of Necessity being the Mother of Invention. When there is a need for something, research into ways to work out an alternative solution becomes much more intense & whereas Solar Energy used to be limited to heating water, making it practically unviable in the UK, it now focuses on Photo Voltaic cells, which only need light. Also, because of bulk manufacture, they are becoming cheaper all the time. Also, with the further onset of cheaper, more efficient LED lights which require even less energy, the solar cells become more practical still. Solar Energy is clearly the way to go.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1483613 wrote: In the past it's always been an ostrich approach inasmuch as asking why bother with things like solar energy when it costs more to generate it than it does to make it worthwhile, when there are things like oil that do it so much more cost effectively. Well, now people are starting to realise what damage the pollution from all that cost effectiveness is causing & that the oil itself is rapidly running out. Now it's a case of Necessity being the Mother of Invention. When there is a need for something, research into ways to work out an alternative solution becomes much more intense & whereas Solar Energy used to be limited to heating water, making it practically unviable in the UK, it now focuses on Photo Voltaic cells, which only need light. Also, because of bulk manufacture, they are becoming cheaper all the time. Also, with the further onset of cheaper, more efficient LED lights which require even less energy, the solar cells become more practical still. Solar Energy is clearly the way to go.

Don't forget hydro-electric, "farting bugs" tech for gas production, geo-thermal energy, wind and wave power. Also, if we ran our vehicles on hydrogen, we could use oil for lubrication only, thus vastly extending the amount of years the oilfields will be useful for, due to not using vast reserves of oil inefficiently to produce petrol and diesel for internal combustion.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Smaug;1483626 wrote: Don't forget hydro-electric, "farting bugs" tech for gas production, geo-thermal energy, wind and wave power. Also, if we ran our vehicles on hydrogen, we could use oil for lubrication only, thus vastly extending the amount of years the oilfields will be useful for, due to not using vast reserves of oil inefficiently to produce petrol and diesel for internal combustion.
Plus the oil could be obtained from renewable sources, such as vegetable oil.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1483687 wrote: Plus the oil could be obtained from renewable sources, such as vegetable oil.

Problem with vegetable oil is that it still takes more energy to produce than it will provide.

However, this seems to be heading down the right track:

Alabama Gets First-In-World Carbon-Negative Algae Biofuel | CleanTechnica
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

What about recycled vegetable oil? After all we already have cars & lorries that are fuelled by recycled oil from takeaways.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1483717 wrote: What about recycled vegetable oil? After all we already have cars & lorries that are fuelled by recycled oil from takeaways.

It can be done, but really, as a reliable and wholesale power source, it would require a hell of a lot of Fish and Chips consumption, I think.

I know a couple of guys here in colorado who began collecting oil from restaurants to make useable fuel. They started out taking the stuff from free, and now must purchase the used oil. It will remain a relatively specialized market. But every gallon of fuel not made from fossil fuel is a gain.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I've seen MacDonalds lorries (or was it Burger King?) proudly sporting the motif that they were powered by recycled vegetable oil. Apart from it making good environmental sense, it also makes good financial sense - especially to such a company. They have a choice. Pay to have someone dispose of it as Industrial Waste, or fuel their own vehicles with it, thus avoiding having to pay the cost of fuel & the associated taxes.

As for conversion of vegetable oil to diesel fuel - not really a problem...

Straight vegetable oil as diesel fuel: Journey to Forever
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1483732 wrote: I've seen MacDonalds lorries (or was it Burger King?) proudly sporting the motif that they were powered by recycled vegetable oil. Apart from it making good environmental sense, it also makes good financial sense - especially to such a company. They have a choice. Pay to have someone dispose of it as Industrial Waste, or fuel their own vehicles with it, thus avoiding having to pay the cost of fuel & the associated taxes.

As for conversion of vegetable oil to diesel fuel - not really a problem...

Straight vegetable oil as diesel fuel: Journey to Forever

Well, yeah. There are a couple of "Bio-Diesel" production plants running, and a lot of farm machinery is using the stuff.

The production concerns are as much about the energy to produce the stuff from the start. You have to plow the field, plant, spray pesticides and weed killers, then harvest, and all of that requires energy. Then you are taking what would be food for livestock, and humans and converting it to fuel.

Not terribly efficient.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac;1483753 wrote: Well, yeah. There are a couple of "Bio-Diesel" production plants running, and a lot of farm machinery is using the stuff.

The production concerns are as much about the energy to produce the stuff from the start. You have to plow the field, plant, spray pesticides and weed killers, then harvest, and all of that requires energy. Then you are taking what would be food for livestock, and humans and converting it to fuel.

Not terribly efficient.

And on that note, here is some interesting statistics on biofuel production from various crops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_ ... rop_yields
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1483687 wrote: Plus the oil could be obtained from renewable sources, such as vegetable oil.

It could indeed. Time for plenty of ecological "joined-up thinking".
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The point is that it is a way of using what would otherwise be a waste product. Tons of used vegetable are thrown away from takeaways every day - especially the leading Burger Bars, such as MacDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It is freezing!

That is all
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Slightly bemused at the moment..... im flooded in. It'll probably recede by morning.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
minks

Post by minks »

that's dreadful.

We had the great flood in 2013. We ourselves got off lucky we live on a hill and suffered no water damage, however our power station was overtaken by the swelling river and we lost our power for a few days, all our food in our fridge spoiled. BUT again we were lucky, in other parts of the city and the small towns south of us people lost homes to the crazy flooding.

Stay safe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Weather Station”