Thanksgiving Week Forecast

What's the weather like today?
tabby

Post by tabby »

A winter storm is sweeping across parts of the USA this week and causing all sorts of problems, holiday travel in particular. Starting tonight, we're expecting an alternating mixture of heavy rain, sleet and snow for the next 2 days. When the meteorologists have no confidence in their prediction, they like to call it the possibility of a "wintery mix". Well, I'd say calling for 100% is a high possibility no matter what you call it or whatever form it takes when it reaches us!

Meteorologists have such a great job! They get to be clearly and publicly wrong 80% of the time and yet everyone still consider them experts and turn to them for predictions. Sounds like a great gig to me! :)

Anyway, thousands and thousands of local children ... and me ... are VERY excited about the possibility of snow this week even though it won't stick. It's highly unusual for us to see snow before December and we're pretty stoked. :yh_party

So what kind of weather are you having this holiday week? Or non holiday week? Have you been or will you be affected by this winter storm?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, our weather promises to be rather boring. high forties, low fifties in the day, low twenties at night, with clear skies and light wind. Rinse and repeat all week.

Works for me.

This time of year, boring weather is the best kind.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

tabby;1441505 wrote: A winter storm is sweeping across parts of the USA this week and causing all sorts of problems, holiday travel in particular. Starting tonight, we're expecting an alternating mixture of heavy rain, sleet and snow for the next 2 days. When the meteorologists have no confidence in their prediction, they like to call it the possibility of a "wintery mix". Well, I'd say calling for 100% is a high possibility no matter what you call it or whatever form it takes when it reaches us!

Meteorologists have such a great job! They get to be clearly and publicly wrong 80% of the time and yet everyone still consider them experts and turn to them for predictions. Sounds like a great gig to me! :)

Anyway, thousands and thousands of local children ... and me ... are VERY excited about the possibility of snow this week even though it won't stick. It's highly unusual for us to see snow before December and we're pretty stoked. :yh_party

So what kind of weather are you having this holiday week? Or non holiday week? Have you been or will you be affected by this winter storm?

Last night, light snow. Melted now.

Come T-day, clear mid 40's. Next few days up to 50 or so.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Curses!! Foiled again!!

Apparently 100% chance of heavy rain, sleet & snow = overcast with light drizzle.

It looks like I shall have to be content with the little snowflake pattern that's woven into my wool socks.

Thanksgiving Day here is supposed to be a bright sunny day with a high of 39F .

Who's getting my snow?

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

They were predicting snow for NYC earlier, but now it is expected to rain.

Ok with me. Flying out of Newark tomorrow is NOT going to be fun, whatever the weather.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Post by tabby »

I hope everything goes smoothly and you make it home to your family safe and sound with as little stress as possible!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac, you are in NYC now? Do you come here often? I'm in Brooklyn, as you may know.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL who read this!

:yh_hugs

Best Wishes to All Europeans as well!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

AnneBoleyn;1441656 wrote: LarsMac, you are in NYC now? Do you come here often? I'm in Brooklyn, as you may know.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL who read this!

:yh_hugs

Best Wishes to All Europeans as well!

LOL! Thanks Anne! hey, does anyone know if the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade will go on?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The parade is likely to go, but if the wind is at the 20+ mph they are expecting, then the balloons will be grounded.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Right now:

Savannah

37°

Feels Like: 32°

Bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Happy Thanksgiving!
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1441656 wrote: LarsMac, you are in NYC now? Do you come here often? I'm in Brooklyn, as you may know.

It was looking like I was going to have to fly in for a customer problem, but we managed to get it resolved without going.

I don't get to go to the city these days. We have a guy that lives in Brooklyn, now. But he is on vacation this week.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The Selkirk Grace,

Some hae meat and canna eat,

And some wad eat that want it;

But we hae meat, and we can eat,

Sae let the Lord be thankit.

Happy thanks giving to you all.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, this week has been great, but it looks like winter is coming.

The forecast for next week from the NOAA weather pages.

Tonight Increasing clouds, with a low around 26. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 56. Breezy, with a west wind 8 to 13 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.

Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. West southwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm.

Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. West wind 11 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 11 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Tuesday A slight chance of rain after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 54. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday Night A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 18.

Wednesday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 20.

Wednesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.

Thursday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14.

Thursday Night A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -2.

Friday A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16.

Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2.

Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 23.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1441897 wrote: Well, this week has been great, but it looks like winter is coming.

The forecast for next week from the NOAA weather pages.

Tonight Increasing clouds, with a low around 26. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 56. Breezy, with a west wind 8 to 13 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.

Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. West southwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm.

Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. West wind 11 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 11 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Tuesday A slight chance of rain after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 54. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday Night A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 18.

Wednesday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 20.

Wednesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.

Thursday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14.

Thursday Night A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -2.

Friday A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16.

Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2.

Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 23.

If it gets too much for you to handle, feel free to coax it my way!
tabby

Post by tabby »

I probably should have been more specific ... I was hoping for snow, not ice ... so we had freezing rain & sleet all yesterday and it's a frozen world out there early this morning. The power went out around 2:00 AM and we've been running off the generator since then.

Still looking forward to snow though!

Return to “Weather Station”