Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption could go on !

What's the weather like today?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

The Eyjafjallajokull volcano in southern Iceland is adjacent to the Katla volcano, increasing the risk of a second eruption, apparently. The last time Eyjafjallajokull erupted was in 1821 and remained active for two years ! It would seem that nobody really knows how long the eruption will go on for, it could be a couple of days or so when it will continue to spew ash into the atmosphere, or longer. Then if it irritates the adjacent volcano Katla, it could cause an even bigger problem with regard to air travel !

Ash is already falling in the Shetland Islands, and I dare say it will fall on Scotland and England as the ash cloud moves south west. Aircraft have been grounded and the authorities are wondering if they will even be able to fly tomorrow! This, of course, is causing vast problems not just in Europe, but with the knock-on effect world wide, with the amount of air travel of not just people but of goods and postal deliveries.

It does make we wonder why the heck nations squabble over political stuff when there are really devastating natural occurences like earthquakes and volcanoes and massive floods to deal with.

Does anybody know of somebody affected by this volcanic eruption?

My husband is asthmatic, so I will try to persuade him to venture out as little as possible for the next few days - you never know! :thinking: :(
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
theia

Post by theia »

G#Gill;1303820 wrote: The Eyjafjallajokull volcano in southern Iceland is adjacent to the Katla volcano, increasing the risk of a second eruption, apparently. The last time Eyjafjallajokull erupted was in 1821 and remained active for two years ! It would seem that nobody really knows how long the eruption will go on for, it could be a couple of days or so when it will continue to spew ash into the atmosphere, or longer. Then if it irritates the adjacent volcano Katla, it could cause an even bigger problem with regard to air travel !

Ash is already falling in the Shetland Islands, and I dare say it will fall on Scotland and England as the ash cloud moves south west. Aircraft have been grounded and the authorities are wondering if they will even be able to fly tomorrow! This, of course, is causing vast problems not just in Europe, but with the knock-on effect world wide, with the amount of air travel of not just people but of goods and postal deliveries.

It does make we wonder why the heck nations squabble over political stuff when there are really devastating natural occurences like earthquakes and volcanoes and massive floods to deal with.

My husband is asthmatic, so I will try to persuade him to venture out as little as possible for the next few days - you never know! :thinking: :(

It does make you wonder, Gill :thinking:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

It's reached France now, and apparently 25 airports in the north have been closed. Scary!

Un nuage de cendres paralyse le ciel européen - LeMonde.fr
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I have a friend close to Reykjavik. I've sent him an e-mail.
dubs

Post by dubs »

G#Gill;1303820 wrote: The Eyjafjallajokull volcano in southern Iceland is adjacent to the Katla volcano, increasing the risk of a second eruption, apparently. The last time Eyjafjallajokull erupted was in 1821 and remained active for two years ! It would seem that nobody really knows how long the eruption will go on for, it could be a couple of days or so when it will continue to spew ash into the atmosphere, or longer. Then if it irritates the adjacent volcano Katla, it could cause an even bigger problem with regard to air travel !

Oooh! Sorry Gill, I thought you were being sick.. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Note to self: Do NOT try to pronounce that name, you could hurt yourself.

Look on the bright side, it could help global warming by causing a nuclear winter!:D
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Pretend you are in L.A.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Saint_;1303851 wrote: Note to self: Do NOT try to pronounce that name, you could hurt yourself.

Look on the bright side, it could help global warming by causing a nuclear winter!:D

I won't ever know how I managed to type that name, and more than once as well !!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

dubs;1303847 wrote: Oooh! Sorry Gill, I thought you were being sick.. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I nearly was .................:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

They were lucky to catch it just in time as the last airplane left Heathrow.

24 flights to and from were canceled in Toronto.

that happened years ago when flying over an island, the aircraft went though the volcano ash, all 4 engines stopped, it appeared to passengers like a meteor with flashing lights from the glass and hot ashes.

They got their 4 engines back going, the airport asked them to turn around and head back as no one had any idea what had happened.

the engines died again...thankfully they started up again and landed safe.

indeed bloody scary.

Gill, I hope your husband stays indoors.
Life is just to short for drama.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well yesterday, there was no evidence of dust settling in our area, although it appears it has settled in the Shetland Isles, and also some parts of Scotland. We went out, today, to visit some friends for a short time. We returned home and still there was no evidence of dust or any adverse air conditions. I had to take our dog into the garden for his comfort break after his meal, this evening, and I had to hurry him up as there was a rather pungent smell, and I felt it affecting my lungs - I had never experienced that sort of thing before. I came indoors, told my hubby to not go out (he's asthmatic), and I closed the windows. I really, truly, hope it passes soon. I'm glad and relieved that we don't have to go out tomorrow, except to take our dog for a walk. I am racking my brains trying to remember if we have anything that will do for a mask to cover nose and mouth. :(

p.s. I live near Nottingham, in the Midlands of England,
Odie

Post by Odie »

even though you can't see it, it may linger.

planes are still grounded here.

be careful you two.

all pharmacies carry masks here.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

It's gonna get worse. Might affect the weather. :(
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Odie;1304248 wrote: even though you can't see it, it may linger.

planes are still grounded here.

be careful you two.

all pharmacies carry masks here.

Pharmacies do not open on Sunday here, well not within easy reach anyway. I will not go into the city. I expect I will be able to get masks from Wilko, as they do a lot of D.I.Y. things, and there won't be any need to be out in the atmosphere more than a few minutes. Yep, we will be careful. ;) :D The thing is, what about the dog? Where's his mask for when he has to have his walk ? If there is still this awful pong, we'll take him in the car to the woods, there must be a certain amount of protection in amongst the trees. :thinking:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

hoppy;1304271 wrote: It's gonna get worse. Might affect the weather. :(

Well, Hoppy, I am not convinced that this episode will be short-lived. Unless the wind changes, this will go on for a while yet. Some airplane companies think they may start flights Sunday lunch time ! I really do not think so. There are some flights in Ireland and Scotland, but I don't think they are jets, and I don't think they fly at the high level of the big jets. Helicopters are also grounded except in emergency, so the oil rigs around our coast will not be able to have their team changes or goods delivered (except by sea!).
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I was in Iceland in August and I think we were very close to this volcano, on our day-long trip to see Godafoss Falls & a geothermal plant. I was struck by the cleanliness of the cities and I asked one of our guides about it and how often the people had to repaint to keep it that way. She told me that their people take great pride in their country's appearance and that they did everything necessary to keep it looking that way.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

anymore updates? ABC Gippsland would like to know.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

fuzzywuzzy;1304285 wrote: anymore updates? ABC Gippsland would like to know.

Not really, only what I have put in my post above. It is a bit worrying, particularly if that other volcano is disturbed and also erupts ! There is a hot burn type pungent smell hanging around our area, but 4 hours after I first smelt it, it has eased off a little. We're all hoping that the wind will change direction! :(

You can check the internet for up-to-date (nearly) info.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Thanks gilly!!! always good to have an on the spot reporter :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

No flights till at earliest 7pm Monday, now, when there will be a review of the situation. But there are big arguments concerning whether the authorities are over-reacting to the danger posed by the volcano. Businesses are feeling the pinch, and perishable goods are being spoilt etc. the knock-on effect is collosal now. But it concerns me that this sort of pressure may cause a jumping of the gun.

More ships will have to be made available, and the channel tunnel trains will have to be a lot more frequent with increased rolling stock. The logistics will be very complicated I'm sure, but something will have to be organised as an alternative to air travel. It is very sad, but there are bound to be businesses that will 'go to the wall' over this particular natural disaster.

In my area there is the East Midlands Airport, the home of a vast warehouse which is the hub of DHL an international transporting company - they are now idle, and I believe there are moves to lay people off temporarily.

I find it a strange experience to have silent skies. No vapour trails. No jets. Today, Sunday, there were a few propeller aircraft flying from a smaller local airport, possibly some of them were from the flying school. I also saw one helicopter, probably privately owned, heading south at about 2,000 feet. However, I believe the police helicopter and the ambucopter are still grounded.

I have a feeling that this situation may last for another week! It all depends on the weather and wind direction.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

This could be good news for thousands of people, and an awful lot of businesses. But I hope they aren't 'jumping the gun'. :-3 :thinking:

First UK flights set to resume - Yahoo! News UK
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1304229 wrote: I had to take our dog into the garden for his comfort break after his meal, this evening, and I had to hurry him up as there was a rather pungent smell, and I felt it affecting my lungs - I had never experienced that sort of thing before. I came indoors

You've no idea how restrained I was, reading that.

Meanwhile, Pravda has a couple of salient points:Eyjafjallajökull (ei-zha-fiAla-jo-kUtl). Island-Mountains Glacier. It’s done it before and it wasn’t pretty. It erupted in 920, 1612, 1821-1823 and now in 2010. All of the previous eruptions were precursors to more massive activity from the neighbouring Katla volcano, which this time, according to geologists, could take one to two years to erupt. And Eyjafjallajökull is the dwarf, Katla the giant.

Eyjafjallajokull: Impending Catastrophe? - Pravda.Ru

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1304583 wrote: This could be good news for thousands of people, and an awful lot of businesses. But I hope they aren't 'jumping the gun'. :-3 :thinking:

First UK flights set to resume - Yahoo! News UK

finally eh?

there still grounded here.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1304586 wrote: You've no idea how restrained I was, reading that.

Meanwhile, Pravda has a couple of salient points:Eyjafjallajökull (ei-zha-fiAla-jo-kUtl). Island-Mountains Glacier. It’s done it before and it wasn’t pretty. It erupted in 920, 1612, 1821-1823 and now in 2010. All of the previous eruptions were precursors to more massive activity from the neighbouring Katla volcano, which this time, according to geologists, could take one to two years to erupt. And Eyjafjallajökull is the dwarf, Katla the giant.

Eyjafjallajokull: Impending Catastrophe? - Pravda.Ru

It's OK Mr. Spot, you must go to the head of the class as the first one to pass a comment about it (it took a while though :yh_rotfl). I couldn't resist wording it that way ! :p

I mentioned earlier that the worry was Katla, which has erupted, in the past, within a couple of months or so of the eruption by Eyjafjallajokull. If this happens, the chaos this would cause would make the present eruption seem miniscule by comparison. I will, this week, try to locate proper anti-toxic face masks just in case we'll need them, as Chris has to take the dog out each day.

It certainly is not over yet!
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1304594 wrote: I will, this week, try to locate proper anti-toxic face masks just in case we'll need them, as Chris has to take the dog out each day. It certainly is not over yet!

The Activated Gas-Tight Diaperâ„¢ is an over-neglected product with much to commend it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1304603 wrote: The Activated Gas-Tight Diaperâ„¢ is an over-neglected product with much to commend it.

:yh_rotfl you get worse ! :rolleyes:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Odie;1304590 wrote: finally eh?

there still grounded here.

Even if the grounding of all aircraft was lifted tomorrow, it will take days and days to get things back to something like normal, as there are thousands of people stranded in other countries and trying to get home. This is not counting all the transportation of goods, particularly perishables, that businesses are depending on for the survival of their businesses. Many will go bust I'm sure. There are even British warships being sent to Spain to bring people back home! DHL an international air transporting company, at East Midlands Airport have been idle for days, and have laid staff off. They must be feeling the pinch. Mail for abroad is piling up in masses. It is going to take a few weeks to get back to normal, and that is if there are no more big eruptions from the volcano, to ground aircraft again. :-5

Let us hope that Katla doesn't erupt as well ! Because that will be massive!
spot

Post by spot »

We're apparently sending the Ark Royal over to take stranded tourists off the Spanish beaches.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1304619 wrote: We're apparently sending the Ark Royal over to take stranded tourists off the Spanish beaches.

So I understand, but these ships will take time to get there, but at least something is actually being done for these people. A lot of them are now without money.
Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1304612 wrote: Even if the grounding of all aircraft was lifted tomorrow, it will take days and days to get things back to something like normal, as there are thousands of people stranded in other countries and trying to get home. This is not counting all the transportation of goods, particularly perishables, that businesses are depending on for the survival of their businesses. Many will go bust I'm sure. There are even British warships being sent to Spain to bring people back home! DHL an international air transporting company, at East Midlands Airport have been idle for days, and have laid staff off. They must be feeling the pinch. Mail for abroad is piling up in masses. It is going to take a few weeks to get back to normal, and that is if there are no more big eruptions from the volcano, to ground aircraft again. :-5

Let us hope that Katla doesn't erupt as well ! Because that will be massive!

Oh that's for sure, people are stranded everywhere.

its costing a fortune, its almost a disaster.

I'm praying that Katla doesn't erupt.
Queen_of_Hearts

Post by Queen_of_Hearts »

I hear the media talking about the volcano everyday, but I have yet heard a reporter pronounce the name of the volcano:wah:. They just call it the Iceland volcano or the volcano that erupted in Iceland. When I first saw the name of the volcano, I thought someone just typed a bunch of jibberish on the keyboard and hit "enter."
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Phonetically, I believe it is :- Eye yaff yalla yokull = Eyafjallajokull

But somebody please feel free to correct me if I am wrong ! :-6:D

That one is only the baby. I hope it doesn't wake up it's mother, Katla, which is adjacent to the baby!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Eyjafjallajokull is erupting greater clouds of volcanic dust overnight, so airflight is yet again on hold, except for a few Scottish airports and N.England airports, and I suspect there are a few restrictions on type of aircraft allowed to fly from those places. Apparently a warship has embarked a few hundred soldiers and similar number of holiday-makers in a port in Spain, to return to UK. Other ships are also near Spain.

It is still strange to have quiet skies in my area, and it must be very much so over London, Manchester, Birmingham etc. We have had a few propeller small aircraft flying locally, at around 2,000 feet, and they are probably flying school aircraft like the Cessna.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

i see engineers have solved the problem of the engines sucking in ash on the planes by adding new filters..............:yh_rotfl

Attached files
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

spot

Post by spot »

Last night's the first time I've seen the ash cloud, it filtered the moon to a dark red-brown shade, the effect was quite distinctive. It wasn't there on any previous evening which persuades me that it was only yesterday the stuff arrived over London in any volume.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

beowulf;1304790 wrote: i see engineers have solved the problem of the engines sucking in ash on the planes by adding new filters..............:yh_rotfl

:yh_youkid :yh_silly :yh_eyerol

Flippin eck! They're just a tad 'king size' filters aint they ???? :wah:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

G#Gill;1304674 wrote: Phonetically, I believe it is :- Eye yaff yalla yokull = Eyafjallajokull

But somebody please feel free to correct me if I am wrong ! :-6:D

That one is only the baby. I hope it doesn't wake up it's mother, Katla, which is adjacent to the baby!
Are the experts predicting one way or the other on Katla?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It's on the cards, Wisey, since each time the baby has erupted, 'mum' has followed suit, sooner or later! Not looking forward to that eventuality one bit ! If 'baby' can cause such chaos with airtravel, then 'mum' could be off the scale!!! She is a very big girl !!! :( There is no definite yes or no, but they are not discounting Katla, and they are keeping very watchful. Not sure what they would be able to do about it though. :-3 :thinking:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It would seem that flying restrictions for the whole of the UK have been lifted as from 10pm (UK time) tonight, that's in about 7 minutes time! Of course they could be re-imposed should more volcanic ash clouds come towards the UK, dependent on wind direction. But at least some travellers will be able to get home at last. Although there are still restrictions in other European countries.
Odie

Post by Odie »

first flight landed from France tonight.

one arriving from England much later.

It's at least a one week wait for ones to leave here to go back to England, that's how far behind they are.

People are going crazy, one needed to get home for her father's funeral.

others are out of money.

motels are kicking people out now.

what a mess!:-5:-5
spot

Post by spot »

Well, it's 6.30am now and there's not a contrail in the sky over London. I'll keep my eye open and report again later.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Eyjafjallajokull

Man... say that fast 10 times..

I love how Mother Nature likes to remind us every now and again just exactly who is in charge.

check it out:

More from Eyjafjallajokull - The Big Picture - Boston.com

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks for those dramatic photos Mikeinie, makes one glad to not live in Iceland ! :(
spot

Post by spot »

I've seen a few planes today, now. Not as many as usual, but some are up there.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I haven't seen or heard any here, but then I'm north of East Midlands Airport, and I expect incoming flights from the continent will be coming in on the south side of EMA and into the wind.
kathaksung

Post by kathaksung »

633. Volcano eruption (4/23/2010)

In February, Counterterrorism expert Juval Aviv talked in a FOX broadcast:

"I predict, based primarily on information that is floating in Europe and the Middle East, that an event is imminent and around the corner here in the United States. It could happen as soon as tomorrow, or it could happen in the next few months. Ninety days at the most."

(

Now more than two months has passed. There were many attempts to frame a drug case in these two months, and the plot to activate false flag terror attack as well. According to the character of the Feds that they used to make money on such big "terror attack", what did they do to take advantage on this "90 days plot"?

A volcano in Iceland which had been dormant for 200 years erupted on 4/14. The ash cloud from the volcano halted most air traffic in Europe for almost a week.

"Volcano costs airlines $2 billion

By Arthur Max

Associated Press 4/22/2010

.... An aviation group called the financial fallout worse than the three-day worldwide shutdown after the 2001 terrorist attacks in United States."

Do you still remember the unusual trading in stock market during 911 attack? Someone bought huge numbers of PUTS on airline stock and future option trades in the weeks before the attacks of September 11. They made big money on these speculations.

Same case repeated in September 2007 when a B-52 carried nuclear missiles flied over US Continent on 8/31/2007. I alleged that was an attempt of "nuclear terror attack". There were also unusual "Bin Laden" trading in US and Europe stock market with that event.

So would the same speculators miss this "90 days utmost" chance? As we have seen, they had a busy "60 days" in February and March, plot came one after another. When it failed to go through, what for their huge investment in future contract market? To avoid a huge loss in their speculation, a volcano eruption created to replace the "terror attack".

The 4/14 volcano eruption in Iceland is not a coincidence. It is in the last "30 days" of the "90 days utmost" - the harvest days for the Feds. The longer the air traffic halted, the larger loss the airlines suffered, the more profit the Feds will make.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

mikeinie;1304930 wrote:

I love how Mother Nature likes to remind us every now and again just exactly who is in charge.

Great pics, Mike! You know, I was just thinking the other day that it's been thousands of years since Mother Nature (God) has put on a REALLY BIG show, for example when the Mediterranean Sea flooded, or that last asteroid strike....

and I'm fine with that!:-3
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I really don't think the Iceland volcanoes have finished performing yet. Don't forget the bigger volcano nearby called Katla !!!! She has a habit of erupting not long after the smaller volcano! :(
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by kathaksung

The 4/14 volcano eruption in Iceland is not a coincidence. It is in the last "30 days" of the "90 days utmost" - the harvest days for the Feds. The longer the air traffic halted, the larger loss the airlines suffered, the more profit the Feds will make.

That has got to be the funniest post I've seen from a conspiracy theorist. The icelandic volcano was started deliberately to allow someone to exploit the fall in shares. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

gmc;1316444 wrote: posted by kathaksung

That has got to be the funniest post I've seen from a conspiracy theorist. The icelandic volcano was started deliberately to allow someone to exploit the fall in shares. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I didn't take any notice of it, gmc, gotta be some cranky nutter don't you think? :yh_rotfl

Return to “Weather Station”