The Grand National 2012

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Post by Oscar Namechange »

As sporting sights go, few can match the sheer excitement of 40 horses thundering towards the first fence at Aintree for the John Smith's Grand National.

A race steeped in history that always provides a story, the Grand National Is the ultimate test of endurance and skill for both horse and jockey, as the pairing must navigate 30 treacherous fences, and then still have enough stamina to make a challenge on the run-in.

To manage a clear round in the 4m 4f epic is no mean achievement, with the fences notoriously difficult and offering unique challenges.

Over the years, there have been countless memorable moments, Devon Loch's phantom leap in the 1956 contest, Foinavon's shock 100-1 win in 1967 and the brilliance of Red Rum, who took the chase on three occasions in 1973, 74 and 77.

In 1981 Aldaniti and Bob Champion completed a heartwarming tale when winning the race, as Aldaniti had recovered from a career-threatening injury while jockey Bob Champion had battled back from cancer.

But there Is a downside.... Horses get hurt and horses die.

Last year, I was In the money having successfully wagered each way on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th horses... but I must admit, I didn't even consider the horse that won even In the running.

Given that nothing Is confirmed yet.... the two horses I shall be putting my money on are two horses that I have been watching closely all year.....

Shakalakaboomboom and Beshabar.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Saint_

The Grand National 2012

Post by Saint_ »

I have to admit that I find those what we call "Steeplechase" races very exciting too. I have never actually seen one live, even on TV, though. The only ones I have seen have been in the movies. "National Velvet" is a good example.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Saint_;1382938 wrote: I have to admit that I find those what we call "Steeplechase" races very exciting too. I have never actually seen one live, even on TV, though. The only ones I have seen have been in the movies. "National Velvet" is a good example.

This Is the very best example of The Grand National I can show you Saint... The 2010 because the filming and footage Is quite superb.

John Smith´s Grand National Chase 2010 - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

So.... with most novice punters considering the Grand National as a lottery due to the size of the field, just how does one choose one horse?

I have used my fairly fool-proof method for some years and once all the runners are confirmed, I will sort the wheat from the chaff for you. The only time my method has failed Is when my horse through no fault of his own has been brought down.

First..... Look at the form of the 40 entrants and any horse who has never won over a minimum of 3 miles.... bin. The only hope they have of winning or being placed Is If they survive a pile up. No horse who has not won over a minimum of 3 years has won the GN since 1970.

2nd..... With the field now whittled down, bin any horse who has not run In a field of 12 or more runners. Of the last 19 National winners, 17 had previously won over fences against 12 or more rivals. For example, The 2009, 100/1 winner Mon Mome won a 15 field, runner, 3m 1½f handicap chase at Cheltenham the previous December and had also won a 14 field, runner handicap chase at Aintree earlier In his career. The two that failed this test were Bindaree, who had at least been third In the Welsh National, and Lord Gyllene, who had never raced against more than 10 rivals before showing up at Aintree.

3rd..... Now you have a smaller field, bin any horse aged under 8 years old. The last time a seven year old won the race was 71 years ago (Bogskar won the National at the age of seven in 1940) and you have to go back a further 28 years to find the last winning six year old. The last successful novice was Mr What in 1958.

Not only have horses aged under 8 not won for eons, but they also have a shocking completion record since 1992, with only 6 of the 38 contenders getting round.

The record of 8 year-olds Is not great either, with just one winner (Bindaree in 2002) In the last 17 renewals. A horse needs experience and maturity to cope with such a rough race, tackling un-familiar obstacles while other horses are crashing about on all sides. How many other races, apart from cross-country and hunter chases, can you name where 13 of the last 21 winners were aged ten or older?

That said, only two teenagers have ever won the National, with the last success coming in 1923 (Sergeant Murphy). In fact, no teenager has even made the frame since 1969.

4th...... Breeding... Take any French horse and bin It... keep your Irish horses at the top of your list now. Very few races in France are run beyond 3 miles and so breeders have no need to Install strong stamina genes Into their bloodstock. French breds are also trained harder from a younger age, so they can be past their best when they hit 8 or 9 years of age and the National Is not a race for early maturing types. Mon Mome’s win was a one off.

5th... Take any horse now that has fallen In less than 10 races and bin It. Each of the last 10 winners had had at least ten starts over fences and none of these had fallen more than twice over fences In their entire careers. Look for the ' F ' for Fell In their form.

Now finally, look for the horses that have run the Aintree course before and make your choice. Given that 5 of the first 6 last year and 7 of the previous 9 winners previously had contested a race over these fences and 5 of the last 8 Grand National winners ran in the previous years' race, It seems clear that there Is an "Aintree factor" to consider.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Have you ever wondered about the names of the jumps at Aintree Grand National?

Most consider Beechers Brook the most treacherous but In fact many of the drama's occur here at:

The Canal Turn

Jumped twice during the race, the Canal Turn Is perhaps the most distinctive fence jumped because of the tight left-hand turn that Immediately follows.

Although not particularly difficult to navigate, the fence is often the scene of drama. In 2001 a loose horse, Paddy's Return, ran along the near-side of the fence, bringing down or blocking nine rivals.

More regularly, the Canal Turn out-wits novice National Jockeys who, failing to set themselves for the sharp turn that follows, slither out of their saddles and out of the race.

The Canal Turn Is so named because the course turns a full 90 degrees on landing and has a canal In front of them on the landing side of the fence.

The race can be won or lost here, with a diagonal leap to the Inside of the jump taking the fence at a scary angle, but reducing the turn on landing.

With 30 or more horses still standing, not every rider has the option of this daring passage.

Some will be taken straight out by riderless horses, although the prospect of an early bath In the Liverpool ship canal Is now history thanks to an Imposing solid fence..... shame.... twas a wonderous sight to see a Jockey catapaulted through the air Into the drink.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Here's a snippet of Grand National trivia for you.

Of course the most famous Grand National winner was Red Rum but when he was first acquired, after seeing his ability, his owner said ' He'll murder them'... The name 'Murder' was submitted but the racing authority refused the application as they didn't want a horse called Murder. The name was spelt backwards and Murder became Red Rum.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

The Chair

One of just two fences to be jumped once, along with the water jump, The Chair Is the biggest fence on the Grand National course.

With a 6ft ditch beforehand, standing 5ft 2in In height and 3ft deep It's a truly formidable obstacle.

The narrowest fence in the race bar the afore-mentioned water jump, the landing side of The Chair Is actually raised 6 inches, the reverse of Becher’s Brook which means the ground comes up to meet horse and rider quicker than anticipated.

The fence was named after a chair which was situated next to the fence, from which a judge used to see If any horses had been beaten by a distance.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Valentine’s Brook

It Stands at 5ft on the take-off side and six Inches lower on the landing side. Valentine’s Is jumped as fence 9 and 25 and Is regarded as the lesser of the two brook fences on the National course.

Although not as tricky as Becher’s, Valentine’s still requires a near-faultless jump, especially as It comes Immediately after the Canal Turn.

It is named after Valentine, who attempted to pull himself up at the fence, eventually getting over It before going on to finish third.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

The Foinavon

Not the most ferocious fence at Aintree but one of the most Infamous. At just 4ft 6in, It's the fence the field jumps 7th and 23rd Is the smallest In the race, but it will for-ever be associated with one of the most memorable Incidents In Grand National history.

During the race In 1967, Foinavon was the 100/1 rank outsider among the field of 44 but wrote his place In the record books when the beneficiary of a remarkable pile-up that resulted In him being the only horse left standing.

Approaching the fence for the second time, 28 of the runners remained in the race, but all bar Foinavon and John Buckingam came unstuck when a loose horse veered right.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Becher's Brook

This Is the most famous fence In racing and the one most people Including myself, look away from, as they race towards It.

Becher's Brook Is named after Captain Martin Becher, a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, who partnered The Duke to victory in 1836 - the first of 3 results not usually accepted as part of Grand National history.

However, he achieved Immortal connection to the race by flying Into the brook that stands on the other side of the fence named In his honour when his horse refused. Becher stayed submerged In the filthy ditch until the field had thundered past. He then remounted and gave chase, only to part company again at what Is now known as Valentine's Brook.

Once a notoriously tricky fence with a considerable drop on the landing side, safety considerations have since seen It lose some of its uniqueness.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Bugger Bugger Bugger

After Beshabar Is geared for the 2012 Grand National all year, he's out of the race.... Tendon Injury.

Back to the drawing board for 2nd choice.... but as I said In my thread on The Hennessy Gold Cup..... 'There's always Caruthers' ... Hmmmmmm
fuzzywuzzy

The Grand National 2012

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Wait till Black Caviar reaches your shores Oscar. Another freak of nature, she's gorgeous though. 18 starts no losses her last they decided to give her an extended run ...she did it easily by about five lengths I think. But she's weird, she doesn't batter an eyelid very very relaxed. She struts around the mounting yard as if it's a casual walk in the park ......and that's after a race. Keep an eye out for her .
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

fuzzywuzzy;1384298 wrote: Wait till Black Caviar reaches your shores Oscar. Another freak of nature, she's gorgeous though. 18 starts no losses her last they decided to give her an extended run ...she did it easily by about five lengths I think. But she's weird, she doesn't batter an eyelid very very relaxed. She struts around the mounting yard as if it's a casual walk in the park ......and that's after a race. Keep an eye out for her . I have heard of her but admit didn't know a huge amount about her. I just watched some of her races on you tube. It's unusual for a filly to be a record breaker. Sadly I don't think she'll race In England due to our grading system but I would love to see her and

yes, she Is gorgeous.
fuzzywuzzy

The Grand National 2012

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

She's got two races coming up in your carnivals very soon. Damn they did mention where but I can't remember off hand.
fuzzywuzzy

The Grand National 2012

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

this is from three days ago her 18th win...Oh and I think it's Ascot?
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Going by my methods ( If you do ) and the given statistics, you are looking for a horse aged 9, 10, or 11 years old who has run over 3 miles In a field over 12 runners, without an Inexperienced jockey, who hasn't fallen In under 10 starts, has run the Aintree course and Is preferably Irish.

The horse I have been following all year ticks all the right boxes.

Shakalakaboomboom ( IRE )

Form

Has run In fields as high as 30 runners

Hasn't fallen

Has run at Aintree

Age...... 10 years old

Origin........ Irish

Jockey......Barry Geraghty Is one of the most successful and accomplished jockeys In the racing Industry and from 2002/03 when he led Moscow Flyer In the Queen Mother Champion Chase, and won no less than five races In that festival, he has gone from strength to strength.

He continued the season In Incredible form taking the most coveted prize of them all – the Aintree Grand National on the Jimmy Mangan trained Monty’s Pass

Trainer.... Nicky Henderson needs no introduction to National Hunt racing enthusiasts. Henderson started training in 1978 and has trained over thirty Cheltenham National Hunt Festival winners. He has three times been the leading National Hunt trainer, but has so far been denied success in the Grand National.

If ever there was a year for Nicky Henderson to win this coveted title, this could be It. Shakalakaboomboom Is the one to get your each way bet on!

Anti Post price............ 25/1

As the Grand National Is a handicap race, an each way bet pays out on the first 4, however, If you place your bet with Paddy Power, they pay a 5th place.

At a quarter of the odds for a place, you will still get 5/1 return If he comes In the first 5.

If you put your bet with Paddy Power
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

fuzzywuzzy;1384313 wrote:

this is from three days ago her 18th win...Oh and I think it's Ascot?

Found It...

Chances of duel between Black Caviar and Frankel seem remote | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Frankel Is our top flat race horse and why I didn't realise she was coming to England. I have very little Interest In flat racing In England and only follow jump racing.

The article says she will be here next year..... you know, I might just pop down to Ascot to see her.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

If my memory serves me correctly, the fastest racehorse In the world goes to America. The record I understand still stands with Seabiscuit In a race against War Admiral In 1947
fuzzywuzzy

The Grand National 2012

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I have to agree with the experts (who arent out to make a profit from a horses name) who say it's pointless to compare horses of different eras. When you go to a track on any given day what's the first thing you do when looking at the form guide and it's been raining? You look at which runs well in the wet. Because seabiscuit and pharlap died premeturely we'll never really know what they were capable of doing. Secratariat is another we'll never really know. Since it's only been since the seventies that the new breed of thouroughbred has been designed (bred) it's simply pointless to compare. Trainers don't train horses to be champions in a sporting sense of a word they train horses to make money for the owners and big corperations. It's all about marketing and keeping the ticket sales up at the courses.

But that's just my opinion.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

fuzzywuzzy;1384403 wrote: I have to agree with the experts (who arent out to make a profit from a horses name) who say it's pointless to compare horses of different eras. When you go to a track on any given day what's the first thing you do when looking at the form guide and it's been raining? You look at which runs well in the wet. Because seabiscuit and pharlap died premeturely we'll never really know what they were capable of doing. Secratariat is another we'll never really know. Since it's only been since the seventies that the new breed of thouroughbred has been designed (bred) it's simply pointless to compare. Trainers don't train horses to be champions in a sporting sense of a word they train horses to make money for the owners and big corperations. It's all about marketing and keeping the ticket sales up at the courses.

But that's just my opinion.

You've given good examples but missed out Eight Belles who also died prematurely.

I agree there are some who go Into horse racing to make profit but It's a very costly business to do so. You can not simply take some old nag and make thousands from It.

You have to start with a reasonable bloodstock. For example, a 2 years old from The Kauto Relka french bloodstock with no track record will cost you approx £250,000 euro's. You can not just enter the horse for the big races.... we have a grading system and It's not until your horse has upgraded to grade 1 that you are In a position to enter him for say, The Gold Cup. Then, every time you enter him In a race to begin the start of his grading career, It's costing you mega bucks In entrants fee's. That's where prize money comes from here. By the time your horse has upgraded to level 2, he's now around 6 years old. Horses are usually past their best after 10 years old so you have a window of just 4 years for your horse to earn big money. Add trainers fee's, vets fee's, stabling, yard staff, Jockey wages etc etc and now It's costing you big money. One slight Tendon Injury and your horse Is unable to run for a year. Owning a racehorse Is a massive gamble.

The biggest owner of racehorses In England Is The Aga Khan, 2nd Is the Queen..... they do not do It to make money.
fuzzywuzzy

The Grand National 2012

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

To those with the big bucks it's chicken feed and they can write it all off in some dodgy tax scheme.

The biggest bug bare witht he last Melbourne cup was no Australian horses were chosen for it (although 3 qualified) because all the money is in overseas horses.....not for the punters ...for the owners.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

fuzzywuzzy;1384419 wrote: To those with the big bucks it's chicken feed and they can write it all off in some dodgy tax scheme.

The biggest bug bare witht he last Melbourne cup was no Australian horses were chosen for it (although 3 qualified) because all the money is in overseas horses.....not for the punters ...for the owners.

I don't know about Australia. I can only speak for the UK but I've come Into contact with many of the trainers and owners here over the years ( They are not all rich and famous ) and I would say most have a genuine love of horses and the sport.... the two can go together.

For example, the late Ginger McCain, trainer of Red Rum made an annual vigil to the horses grave every year until he died.

In any Industry there Is exploitation, of course there Is but In all the years I've been In neighing circles, I'd say the love of horses and the sport far outweighs the greed.

Here's a fine example

Kauto Star's Owner Clive Smith - YouTube
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Here's some more statistics while I prepare my post for my second each way tip.

The Grand National Is watched annually worldwide by an average of 600 million people.

80000000 Is the amount In pounds Sterling bet on the Grand National every year by the British Public.

The most to contest the race Is 66 In 1929

The highest number to finish the race Is 23

The number of Mares to win the race Is just 12

The least number of horses to finish the race Is just 2

The number of wins by a horse owned by The Royal Family Is just one. 1
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Going by my formula and the statistics this Is another statistical each way bet. Don't forget Paddy Power are paying out on 5 places at a quarter of the odds.

The Midnight Club ( Ire )

Form

Age .. 10 years old

Has run Aintree over 4 miles

Hasn't fallen

Has run In fields of up to 40 horses.

Origin...... Irish

Anti Post price..... 16/1

He performs well under large weights and on heavy ground and Is trained to go the distance. A 6th place finish in the 2011 Grand National has proved that he can certainly get around the course, and a favourable handicap may just give him the edge.

Jockey...... Jason Maguire, 31, Is an Irish horse racing jockey who won the 2011 Grand National on Ballabriggs. He rode his first winner, Search For Peace at Cheltenham on November 12, 1999. He then went on to ride for Tom George's stable for the next 7 years and had a Cheltenham Festival victory on Galileo in 2002. In 2007, he switched to ride for Donald McCain, Jr. and after 8 un-successful rides In the Grand National, his best previous finish was sixth on Cloudy Lane in 2008,before he went on to win It on 14/1 shot Ballabriggs last year....... Very experienced Jockey.

Trainer.... Donald McCain Junior, son of legendry Ginger McCain, trainer of 3 times winner Red Rum. In only five seasons training Donald has been responsible for In excess of 360 winners including the Aintree Grand National In 2011 with Ballabriggs as well as at the Cheltenham Festival with Cloudy Lane, Whiteoak, Peddlers Cross and Ballabriggs.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Gold Cup winner Synchronised today confirmed as Favourite for the Grand National.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Chicago Grey ( IRE )

[moderator note] plagiarised from http://beechersbrook.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ws_14.html [/moderator note]

It Is one of those curious facts that only two Greys have ever managed to win the Grand National. The Lamb claimed his second victory in 1871 and Nicolaus Silver (1961) Is the only Grey to have been successful since. 'What’s Up Boys' came closest when he was just denied by 'Bindaree' in 2002 whilst King John’s Castle and Suny Bay have also finished second.

The horse considered most likely to end the Aintree hoodoo this year is Gordon Elliott’s Chicago Grey. The trainer knows what It takes to win the world’s greatest steeplechase having won It with Silver Birch in 2007 and has campaigned Chicago Grey with one race In mind all season. He first emerged as a potential National horse when he won at the Cheltenham festival 12 months ago. I have seen him race there and was very Impressed with him.

Age....... 9 years old

Trainer...... Gordon Elliot

Origin.... Irish

Weight...... 10/13

Form

5313211F2518/UR/3732

Ran a strong race In the Scottish Grand National at Ayr last year. He has the stamina required and Is a good each way bet at 20/1 AP
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Sorry Folks but with recent events and time constraints, your roving Steeple-chasing reporter Oscar Is really stuck for time between now and next Saturday.

So... I'll leave out all the form and history and give you a short list of those horses using my system of ruling out all French horses, anything aged under 9 years old and over 12 years old, anything that has regually fallen, anything that has not run over 3 miles, anything that has not run In fields of more than 12 runners, leaving the best Irish horses that are used to large fields and have preferably run the Aintree course before.

Having said that, there Is always the danger that even the toughest of Irish Challengers with all the stamina will get brought down or hampared by loose horses. This Is a race that you need to bet on as a fun bet and never place serious wads of cash on. This race Is not about speed, It's about stamina, jumping ability, the experience to get out of trouble when needed and staying power after they tire around the 3 and a half mile mark ( of which most Steeple-chasers are trained to do ).

My list Is the horses that should stay on their feet and finish ( a feat In It'self In this race )

My short list

Shakalakaboomboom ......... Anti Post Price.......... 16/1

Synchronised 10/1

Don't Push It 9/1

The Midnight Club 10/1

Ballabrigs 14/1

Silver By Nature 14/1

Oscar Time 14/1

Character Building 33/1

West End Rocker 33/1

Vic Venturi 50/1

Chicago Grey 14/1

Burton Port 20/1

Midnight Case 33/1

Neptunes Collognes 28/1

Don't forget to check for non-runners the day before the race. Also remember because this Is a handicap, a 4th place Is paid out on each way bets at one quarter of the odds. If you bet with Paddy Power ask for the 5 place special.

And finally......... As I stated In the Hennessy Gold Cup........ 'There's always Caruthers'...... hmmmmmmm
theia

The Grand National 2012

Post by theia »

oscar;1390419 wrote: Sorry Folks but with recent events and time constraints, your roving Steeple-chasing reporter Oscar Is really stuck for time between now and next Saturday.

So... I'll leave out all the form and history and give you a short list of those horses using my system of ruling out all French horses, anything aged under 9 years old and over 12 years old, anything that has regually fallen, anything that has not run over 3 miles, anything that has not run In fields of more than 12 runners, leaving the best Irish horses that are used to large fields and have preferably run the Aintree course before.

Having said that, there Is always the danger that even the toughest of Irish Challengers with all the stamina will get brought down or hampared by loose horses. This Is a race that you need to bet on as a fun bet and never place serious wads of cash on. This race Is not about speed, It's about stamina, jumping ability, the experience to get out of trouble when needed and staying power after they tire around the 3 and a half mile mark ( of which most Steeple-chasers are trained to do ).

My list Is the horses that should stay on their feet and finish ( a feat In It'self In this race )

My short list

Shakalakaboomboom ......... Anti Post Price.......... 16/1

Synchronised 10/1

Don't Push It 9/1

The Midnight Club 10/1

Ballabrigs 14/1

Silver By Nature 14/1

Oscar Time 14/1

Character Building 33/1

West End Rocker 33/1

Vic Venturi 50/1

Chicago Grey 14/1

Burton Port 20/1

Midnight Case 33/1

Neptunes Collognes 28/1

Don't forget to check for non-runners the day before the race. Also remember because this Is a handicap, a 4th place Is paid out on each way bets at one quarter of the odds. If you bet with Paddy Power ask for the 5 place special.

And finally......... As I stated In the Hennessy Gold Cup........ 'There's always Caruthers'...... hmmmmmmm

Thanks, Oscar, I may well have a flutter on Chicago Grey
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

theia;1390435 wrote: Thanks, Oscar, I may well have a flutter on Chicago Grey

If all listed go to post, he'll be one of 4 Grey horses In the line up.

He's a game horse, tough and showed his stamina In the Scottish Grand National and at Cheltenham last year.

He's one of my choices for a place.... Good luck !!!
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Paddy Power now declare their ' Non Runner Money Back'. This means you can take the odds now and If the horse Is pulled 'Not Under Orders' you will get your money back... however, this Is one race, I advise NOT taking anti-post prices..... many things from now and Saturday will affect the prices and they can drift out just as they can be backed down.... for EG, the Trainer of West End Rocker Is praying for rain... His horse stands a better chance If the course Is heavy going ( mud ) which will reduce the chances of those who prefer hard ground.

Also, very Important Is the jockey.... Inexperienced Jockeys need to be ruled out unless they get lucky and they survive a mass pile up.

Synchronised Is now the 7/1 Favourite

Ballabrigs will be riden by Jason Mcguire:D

Chicago Grey " " " " Paul Carberry :D

Ruby Walsh will ride 'On His Own' ..... a slim possibility of getting a place under Irelands champion Jockey but I have ruled him out due to Inexperience at just 8 years old ( The horse not Ruby Walsh )

West End Rocker " " Wayne Hutchinson :D

Waiting on the other confirmations
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

No horse has won back to back Grand National's for almost 40 years when the mighty Red Rum won three times..... Ballabrigs, last years winner Is looking to re-write history Saturday and If he does so, there won't be a dry eye In the house. Ballabrigs trainer, Donald McCain, Is the son of trainer Ginger McCain who trained Red Rum. This year will be even more poignant after the sad news that Ginger had passed away. His love for Red Rum never waned and he was a regular visitor to Red Rum's grave on the Aintree turf for 30 years until he died.

Sentiment aside, going by stats, I would give Ballabrigs a good chance of a place but not a win.

Another horse looking to re-write history Saturday Is Synchronised.

The last time any horse won a Gold Cup and then went on to win the National was 1934 with the great 'Golden Miller'....... again, stats alone, I would not put a win down to this horse but a good each way bet.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

More Jockey's and weights confirmed today.

Synchronised Is to be ridden by A.P. McCoy.....weight 11/10. The highest ranking Champion Jockey.... but... A.P has only ever won the Grand National once on Don't Push It In 2010

Neptune Collognes.... " " " Daryl Jacob :D weight 11/6

Shakalakaboomboom " " " Barry Geraghty ( Oh yes !!! ) :D:D:D weight 10/12
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

I'm going Into hospital tomorrow so today I made my choices and placed my bets.

My final selection, I have backed all at each way odds with Paddy Power for a 5th place to get the best value....

This Is my final selection...... let's see how they do.

Shakalakaboomboom........... I will stick my neck out and predict a win.

Chicago Grey

West End Rocker

Neptune Collognes

Ballabrigs

The Midnight Club

Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Winner of The Grand National

Neptune Collognes

Oh Yes.... 33/1..... get In there :guitarist:guitarist:guitarist
theia

The Grand National 2012

Post by theia »

Well, I backed Chicago Grey and Organised Chaos.

My son had Hello Bud, my daughter in law, Because I couldn't see, and 2 year old Daisy had Shakalakaboomboom.

Okay, so we won nothing but it was still fun :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

theia;1391305 wrote: Well, I backed Chicago Grey and Organised Chaos.

My son had Hello Bud, my daughter in law, Because I couldn't see, and 2 year old Daisy had Shakalakaboomboom.

Okay, so we won nothing but it was still fun :-6

Chicago Grey was very unlucky being brought down by another faller at the 9th fence........ Unfortunately, with such a large field, It happens and why there are no sure dead certs In this race....

Shakalakaboomboom ran a blinder of a race and should no way feel disgraced at finishing 9th. He led all the way, jumped superbly, but his stamina just ran out at around the 2nd last fence..

The Gold Cup winner Synchronised along with According to Pete both lost their lives...... a sad day for racing. :-1
theia

The Grand National 2012

Post by theia »

oscar;1391307 wrote: Chicago Grey was very unlucky being brought down by another faller at the 9th fence........ Unfortunately, with such a large field, It happens and why there are no sure dead certs In this race....

Shakalakaboomboom ran a blinder of a race and should no way feel disgraced at finishing 9th. He led all the way, jumped superbly, but his stamina just ran out at around the 2nd last fence..

The Gold Cup winner Synchronised along with According to Pete both lost their lives...... a sad day for racing. :-1

Oh my goodness, I didn't realise that...that is so sad :-1
theia

The Grand National 2012

Post by theia »

Wan't it Synchronised who ran off at the beginning of the race?
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

theia;1391309 wrote: Oh my goodness, I didn't realise that...that is so sad :-1 I'm pissed off Theia..... I was only saying to my husband a few days ago that I recalled a horse called ' Alverton' about 1976 who won the Gold Cup... Instead of resting him up, they put him straight Into the National where he fell and broke his neck. I had never ever forgotten that and why I get so angry when they win the Gold cup, a gruelling race Itself and then three weeks later put them Into a 4 and half mile marathon like the National.... Lessons need to be learned today.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

theia;1391311 wrote: Wan't it Synchronised who ran off at the beginning of the race? Yes, he dumped A.P. McCoy and then remounted... they should have listened to what the horse was saying.
theia

The Grand National 2012

Post by theia »

oscar;1391312 wrote: I'm pissed off Theia..... I was only saying to my husband a few days ago that I recalled a horse called ' Alverton' about 1976 who won the Gold Cup... Instead of resting him up, they put him straight Into the National where he fell and broke his neck. I had never ever forgotten that and why I get so angry when they win the Gold cup, a gruelling race Itself and then three weeks later put them Into a 4 and half mile marathon like the National.... Lessons need to be learned today.

I know nothing about horse racing but, as a family, we usually back a horse at The Grand National. What you said is really interesting and I'll pass it on to the kids when we next speak. I rang and spoke to them after you posted about those two horses and my daughter in law, who, like me, knows nothing about horse racing, said that it was almost as if Synchronised knew that he didn't want to race. Like you say, it's a shame no-one listened.
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

theia;1391315 wrote: I know nothing about horse racing but, as a family, we usually back a horse at The Grand National. What you said is really interesting and I'll pass it on to the kids when we next speak. I rang and spoke to them after you posted about those two horses and my daughter in law, who, like me, knows nothing about horse racing, said that it was almost as if Synchronised knew that he didn't want to race. Like you say, it's a shame no-one listened.

I hope trainer J.P. McManus Is thoroughly ashamed of himself today.

True National Hunt enthusiasts like myself don't want to see horses run like this and would prefer the National without them.

Most entrants for the GN are not household names because they are horses who are trained and geared all year for one race only... The Grand National. The calibre of entrants Is high enough to do without Gold Cup winners.

It's this kind of exploitation that gives racing a bad Image and we don't want to be part of It.

There was just no need to put Synchronised Into the Grand National. He was also the Lexus Chase Champion and they should have rested him up until either The Hennessy Gold Cup In November or a re-run of The Lexus In December.

A hearty congratulations however to Paul Nicholls, trainer of Kauto Star for his first Grand National winner.

This Is my own photograph of the Winner, Neptune Collognes that I took at Newbury.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Neptune Collognes won by a nostril.

This Is the official track photograph that decided the race... click to enlarge

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

News Just In.....

Neptune Collognes became the first grey to win the Grand National In 62 years.

As he crossed the line and was declared the winner, trainer Paul Nicholls retired Neptunes on the spot.... McManus... take note !!!!!!
theia

The Grand National 2012

Post by theia »

That was so incredibly close, Oscar!
Bryn Mawr

The Grand National 2012

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1391323 wrote: Neptune Collognes won by a nostril.

This Is the official track photograph that decided the race... click to enlarge

Where did the other grey come? How can you tell?

They said it was by a nose, I think it was by the hair on his chinny-chin-chin :-)
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Bryn Mawr;1391331 wrote: Where did the other grey come? How can you tell?

They said it was by a nose, I think it was by the hair on his chinny-chin-chin :-)

I think you're right... I wouldn't want to be the one who called that !

It looks like all of mine finished respectably except for Chicago Grey who through no fault of his own was brought down by a faller.....Just waiting for the official listings...
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

Here we are... I knew I'd find a reference somewhere....

It was 1979... After winning the Gold Cup, Alverton fell at Becher's Brook three weeks later and died.

2011 post-Grand National debate « Steeplechasing

Gold Cup winner Alverton was favourite to win the National in 1979. Approaching Becher’s Brook for the second time he was cruising. A crashing fall killed him and in that instant I also saw for the first time the thankfully rare, inevitable, dark side of the Grand National.

The shock of Alverton’s death was later compounded by newspaper photos showing the horse on its side, lifeless, next to the towering fence with jockey Jonjo O’Neill standing over him clearly distressed.

I remember It so well.........I was there with my Father and we were having a picnic on the day at the side of the course. Alverton fell a fence away from where we were standing and I will never forget the grim horror of It all.... It was over 30 years ago but Gold Cup winning trainers should have been well to remember also.
theia

The Grand National 2012

Post by theia »

oscar;1391334 wrote: Here we are... I knew I'd find a reference somewhere....

It was 1979... After winning the Gold Cup, Alverton fell at Becher's Brook three weeks later and died.

2011 post-Grand National debate « Steeplechasing

Gold Cup winner Alverton was favourite to win the National in 1979. Approaching Becher’s Brook for the second time he was cruising. A crashing fall killed him and in that instant I also saw for the first time the thankfully rare, inevitable, dark side of the Grand National.

The shock of Alverton’s death was later compounded by newspaper photos showing the horse on its side, lifeless, next to the towering fence with jockey Jonjo O’Neill standing over him clearly distressed.

I remember It so well.........I was there with my Father and we were having a picnic on the day at the side of the course. Alverton fell a fence away from where we were standing and I will never forget the grim horror of It all.... It was over 30 years ago but Gold Cup winning trainers should have been well to remember also.

Who makes the ultimate decision that a horse will run (remembering that I know nothing about the subject :-5)?
Oscar Namechange

The Grand National 2012

theia;1391336 wrote: Who makes the ultimate decision that a horse will run (remembering that I know nothing about the subject :-5)?

Usually, the trainer will go to the owner and suggest the horse Is entered. An outright owner can refuse of course.

I would say ultimately. the decision lies with the trainer for he's the one who should know If the horse Is fit and can persuede or sway an owner from the decision.

Synchronised today was shown the jumps by AP pre race ( something Jockey's do.... they show the horse the jumps.... literally taking them to the fence to have a look ).... It was here, Synchronised un-seated AP and ran away, running back the wrong direction.

Bearing In mind, horses are Incredibly tuned animals In sensing danger.... many Jockey's who get un-seated when showing the horse the jumps will withdraw the horse from the race because they understand the horse has sensed something.... AP was obviously given the order to re-mount from the trainer or the owner.

The other fatality, According to Pete was fatally Injured after being brought down by another horse.

Return to “Sports”