BHB impose long bans for racing fraud the AA grumpy column

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
the grumps

Post by the grumps »

hello

well just a week to go to the big day

and tonight i thought i,d write about a subject close to my heart the sport of kings.... horseracing im a very big fan of the sport personally i dont have time for football it doesnt intrest me but i must admit im a bit of an armchair jockey myself i like nothing more on saturdays than having a few quid in bets and coming home to watch the televised racing on channel 4 and at the races.

Two former jockeys, Paul Doe and Greg Fairley, were banned from racing for 12 years each on Wednesday when they were found to have deliberately "stopped" horses to land bets against them on betting exchanges.

Two more current jockeys, Kirsty Milczarek and Jimmy Quinn, were also banned, for two years and six months respectively, following the most complex investigation into alleged corruption ever undertaken by the British Horseracing Authority.

Maurice Sines and James Crickmore, both former racehorse owners, were found by the BHA to have been at the centre of the corruption of 10 races between 17 January 2009 and 15 August 2009. Both were banned from racing for 14 years.

In all, 11 of the 13 people charged in connection with the 10 races were found in breach of the rules of racing. Only Paul Fitzsimons, a former jockey who is now a licensed trainer, and Darren May, who is not licensed by the BHA, were found not to have breached any rules.

Paul Doe was found by the BHA to have deliberately stopped Edith's Boy, a 9-2 chance in a race at Lingfield on 1 March 2009, and Terminate, who was 5-1 for a race at Bath on 23 July 2009. Both horses started slowly and never threatened to get involved in the finish.

Fairley, who had been charged with three counts of failing to ensure that a horse he was riding obtained the best possible placing, was found guilty by the BHA in just one instance, relating to the performance of The Staffy at Wolverhampton on 5 March 2009. The horse, who was a 15-2 chance, started very slowly and finished sixth of seven runners.

Sines and Crickmore were found by the BHA to have laid horses in their ownership on betting exchanges in addition to conspiring to commit a corrupt or fraudulent practice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/de ... ption-bans

AAG

in all my time as a racing enthusiast i,ve never seen the BHA come down on jockey,s and trainers so hard.

12 years for the jockeys and 14 years for the owners thats practicly the end of the jockeys career in british racing.

now i dont know if these jockeys and owners are allowed to race in the irish republic france and dubai or hong kong we will have to wait and see.

corruption has no place in british horseracing so i suppose they got what was rightly coming to them.

at least they didnt end up in jail like lester piggot although piggy kept quiet he could have took a lot of others with him but he was well looked after in jail and his family outside although this really ended piggys riding career.

any other corruption will eventually come to the attention of the BHB and the jockey club although like any other sport you,ll never get rid of corruption completely.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It happens....

It's why, If you are a dedicated follower of the sport, you should stick to reputable stables such as Paul Nicholls, Willie Mullins, David Pipe, Nigell Twiston Davis etc etc.

My advice Is always.... know your stable, know your owner, know your trainer and know your jockey, then you won't go wrong.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Sports”