Sam Stosur, my word yes. US Open 2011 superstar.

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
spot

Post by spot »

Advance Australia Fair. Oh yes. That was astounding.

I'll be appalled if Serena Williams is ever allowed back into any professional competition for either this or her next two lifetimes after that outrageous and continued assault on the umpire. Besides, listening to her grunt is almost as tiresome as hearing vuvuzelas all the while. Grunters go home, you've ruined the game.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

And shouting to Stosur to .."Come on" Me thinks Serena twas a little bit rattled. Well it only took 31 years to achieve the title again. lol

Wasn't Wimbledon going to remove the on court microphones so people watching at home didn't have to listen to the grunts? Layton was shocking for that crap .
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

WOW!!!! what a sooky la la.

Serena Williams goes off on umpire at 2011 US Open Finals - YouTube

After all the 'game' has given that woman "I thought we were in America last time I checked" . Uummmm well you've got 'A' for geography but what does that have to do with a tennis match?
spot

Post by spot »

The unspoken sub-text to that line was "so you're meant to help a fellow-Merkin win", one assumes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

There seems to be outrage in the US press that Serena was subject to such provocation.

And an odd note in the Flushing Meadows local paper, the New York Post:Stosur closed out the first set by winning 12 straight points and closed the match with two spectacular service-return winners. Stosur ran to her players box, crying. The Williams family box looked stunned, not even applauding. "I'm speechless," Stosur said. "I can't actually believe I won this tournament."

The trophy ceremony featured 15 American flags and one Australian flag. Clearly, the ceremony organizers expected a different outcome.

Serena meltdown mars Stosur's victory - NYPOST.com

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1369276 wrote: Advance Australia Fair. Oh yes. That was astounding.

I'll be appalled if Serena Williams is ever allowed back into any professional competition for either this or her next two lifetimes after that outrageous and continued assault on the umpire. Besides, listening to her grunt is almost as tiresome as hearing vuvuzelas all the while. Grunters go home, you've ruined the game.

I was watching a mens match this summer after not watching for years and years - I couldn't figure out what that noise was I kept hearing - the guy was grunting on every swing of his racquet. It really was distracting. I turned it off after a bit.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I suppose I'm a little confused as to why Serena was so upset...It seems to me that the point before the break was the point she won so I'm assuming this bit of a tantrum was due to a previous incident with this ref...I read some of the comments but then had been quickly turned off of reading further for obvious reasons so perhaps a little recap is in order...

Was this from an incident from another game? Previously in the match? Is this typical of Serena?
spot

Post by spot »

It's the second time she's gone ballistic at an umpire. It was a different umpire, same contest I think, two years ago. This year's explosion resulted from the umpire awarding the point to the Australian because Serena had shouted distractingly while the ball was still in play. The umpire ruled it was deliberate distraction. Presumably Fellow Merkins aren't meant to make that sort of ruling in a final at Flushing Meadows.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1369310 wrote: It's the second time she's gone ballistic at an umpire. It was a different umpire, same contest I think, two years ago. This year's explosion resulted from the umpire awarding the point to the Australian because Serena had shouted distractingly while the ball was still in play. The umpire ruled it was deliberate distraction. Presumably Fellow Merkins aren't meant to make that sort of ruling in a final at Flushing Meadows.

Have you got video? She may have a point, IMO. Not the Merkins bit, but about an ump affecting the outcome of a game at that level on a subjective call.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;1369311 wrote: Have you got video? She may have a point, IMO. Not the Merkins bit, but about an ump affecting the outcome of a game at that level on a subjective call.

I'm sure video of the moment is all over the place. I don't have any links. I do have the play-by-play live commentary from the BBC though:Stosur is quickest out of the blocks once more, signalling her intent with a couple of monster forehands for 15-30 and then bringing up two break points at 15-30. Serena saves the first with an ace but on the second she screams "COME ON!" before Stosur has even had the chance to return it. The umpire awards the point to Sam. Serena is LIVID! A full-on confrontation ensues but umps holds firm.

BBC Sport - Tennis - US Open 2001 - Serena Williams v Sam Stosur as it happened

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

With the exception of telling the chair person they'd better not look her way in a threatening manner, this is mild in comparison to things I've seen in the past from the likes of mcenroe or connors.

and the comment about merika - freedom of expression - we're big on it over here. she didn't appear to be complaining that the judge should be looking out for a fellow american

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm not sure that saying, "Men have done worse 30 years ago" is an adequate defence of abusing the umpire these days, for either sex. I'm not going to get too sanctimonious, though. The only sport which maintains a really high standard these days in the matter of the proper behaviour of players on the course or pitch or ground that I know of is Golf.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I'm not defending it, I'm saying it's not at all what I expected to see when I played it.

Back in the day, they had real hissy fits. This was mild by comparison, IMO.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I watched both press conferences . Stosur had beaten Serena twice before so it shouldn't be that much of a shock shirley.

I think the shock was more she did it in just over an hour. That's a very short game . The audience seemed quite happy with the match and a few Americans outside the tennis centre were very plaesed witht the game they had just seen. One woman said they only came to watch the first set because they were sure Serena would win and they could go home early . It went a little differently so they stayed for the whole match.

Serena's press conference grated at me ...she's sooooo tired.....and they play soooooo late..... Ummm has anyone informed the woman that her opponents are in exactly the same boat? Then she backs it up with I should go out dancing. And "I don't sleep much " WTF?
spot

Post by spot »

So - let me check - they handed Ms Williams $1.4m for losing in the final, and then took $0.002m of it back from her for bad sportsmanship, leaving her with a mere $1.398m to blow on hedonism and fripperies?

Tennis was never a serious sport in the first place, let's face it.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

fripperies????
spot

Post by spot »

Cake and coffee, that sort of thing.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm going to use that . See how many people look at me strangely or say "wow havent heard that word in ages"
gmc

Post by gmc »

She should have been booted off the contest. Threatening an umpire? Come off it no matter who she is she should have been excluded.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

nah, all she did was keep telling her she didn't want to be looking her way.

Had she been warned earlier in the match?

spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;1369450 wrote: nah, all she did was keep telling her she didn't want to be looking her way.

I've seen no suggestion of earlier warnings. Here's the sum of her outburst:

"If you ever see me walking down the hall look the other way. You're out of control, you're a hater and you're unattractive inside."

"Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser."

"You get a code violation because I express my end, we're in America the last time I checked."

"Can I have a water? Or am I going to get violated for drinking a water? Really don't even look at me."

My own opinion is that "If you ever see me walking down the hall look the other way" can only be seen as a threat of violence and should, regardless of anything else, result in the probationary ban she was already under being reinstated.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1369454 wrote: I've seen no suggestion of earlier warnings. Here's the sum of her outburst:

"If you ever see me walking down the hall look the other way. You're out of control, you're a hater and you're unattractive inside."

"Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser."

"You get a code violation because I express my end, we're in America the last time I checked."

"Can I have a water? Or am I going to get violated for drinking a water? Really don't even look at me."

My own opinion is that "If you ever see me walking down the hall look the other way" can only be seen as a threat of violence and should, regardless of anything else, result in the probationary ban she was already under being reinstated.

What in the heck is a probationary ban?

And nah, I'd take that as a walk on by, comment.

spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;1369456 wrote: What in the heck is a probationary ban?She was banned two years ago for similar behaviour in the semi-final, the ban was suspended for a probationary two-year period and she was fined a rather more meaningful $90,000 or so. It seems to me that they couldn't fine her an equivalent amount without bringing the previous ban into force, so they just shrugged it off this time. Anything rather than keep her from doing it again so long as she keeps making the tennis industry money.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

flopstock;1369450 wrote: nah, all she did was keep telling her she didn't want to be looking her way.

WEll? she's talking to an umpire and the umpire is 'IN CHARGE' of what's happeneing on that court ...so to tell her not to look at her is an impossibility because it's her job (the umpies) to do so .

I think most Americans would walk on by, and that's okay ...but on a world stage? And tennis really is a world stage, you have to project yourself in a certain manner. By saying "I was in America last time I checked " is the most extreme of arrogance. It's a world sport, not an American sport and I would be an idiot to think she does not know this . Well to Serena I would say ..."go home and sook among your millions that the tennis industry and those who have just come to watch a sport have given you . "
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

fuzzywuzzy;1369537 wrote: WEll? she's talking to an umpire and the umpire is 'IN CHARGE' of what's happeneing on that court ...so to tell her not to look at her is an impossibility because it's her job (the umpies) to do so .

I think most Americans would walk on by, and that's okay ...but on a world stage? And tennis really is a world stage, you have to project yourself in a certain manner. By saying "I was in America last time I checked " is the most extreme of arrogance. It's a world sport, not an American sport and I would be an idiot to think she does not know this . Well to Serena I would say ..."go home and sook among your millions that the tennis industry and those who have just come to watch a sport have given you . "

This 'outburst' was while they were on break between games or sets, whatever. While she's sitting on the side of the court. She was not up in this umps face ranting and raving like I've seen in the past with players.

And I don't see how what she said during the point was any more distracting to the game then the grunting. I think they need to outlaw that or else turn the mics off altogether. It's just gross. It's like they took the kiai and bastardized it. And not just her. It was a mens match that I turned off recently.

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Hissy fits ?

Sorry but when you have seen the master of hissy fits In action, nothing compares.

I had a front row seat for McEnroe vs Jimmy Connors at The Benson and Hedges Final.

Tennis - Benson and Hedges Championships - Wembley - Singles Final - John McEnroe v Jimmy Connors. Press Association Images, Tennis Archive, Tennis, Sport. Press Association Images

At one point, we were even a little frightened.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

oscar;1369562 wrote: Hissy fits ?

Sorry but when you have seen the master of hissy fits In action, nothing compares.

I had a front row seat for McEnroe vs Jimmy Connors at The Benson and Hedges Final.

Tennis - Benson and Hedges Championships - Wembley - Singles Final - John McEnroe v Jimmy Connors. Press Association Images, Tennis Archive, Tennis, Sport. Press Association Images

At one point, we were even a little frightened.
That's exactly what I'm talking about here. I expected to see something along the lines of what I'd seen on television all that time ago.(how lucky were you!)

Instead I finda player grumbling on the sidelines during a break from play.

I think it's been overblown by the press, as usual.

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

flopstock;1369577 wrote: That's exactly what I'm talking about here. I expected to see something along the lines of what I'd seen on television all that time ago.(how lucky were you!)

Instead I finda player grumbling on the sidelines during a break from play.

I think it's been overblown by the press, as usual.

I was very lucky. My Father was given the tickets months ahead by a client and we didn't have a clue who would end up In the final.... I just got very lucky.

It was Indoors and McEnroe smashing balls around was not funny considering the overhead lighting and that's what worried us.

There was one point he was so obnoxious that the crowd started to boo. McEnroe turned and said 'Yeah that's right, you're all on his side'... or words to that effect but littered with obsenities.

It was a thrilling finish and I will never forget It. I felt quite honoured to be there.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Sports”