the grand national

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
the grumps

the grand national

Post by the grumps »

hello again

well how did you do in the national? i backed silver by nature which finished 12th .

unfortunatly the national was marred by 2 equine fatalities as reported by claire balding orius which fell at the fourth in a crashing fall.

when i watched the replay the horse aparantly fell on its head which i can only assume broke its neck killing it instanly.

and dooneys gate which crashed out at beeches and was recieving the vets attention when the horses came round for the second time and you could see that orius was covered by tarpaulins waiting to be moved and dooneys gate was put down by the vet.

this is the sad side of the sport and although 2 horses died this doesnt happen very often in racing even in meetings like aintree its rare for this to happen.

everyone accepts that horses will fall and horses and jockies will be injured but that is what racing is all about.

our thoughts tonight are with the owners and trainers of the two horses.
theia

the grand national

Post by theia »

the grumps;1357248 wrote: hello again

well how did you do in the national? i backed silver by nature which finished 12th .

unfortunatly the national was marred by 2 equine fatalities as reported by claire balding orius which fell at the fourth in a crashing fall.

when i watched the replay the horse aparantly fell on its head which i can only assume broke its neck killing it instanly.

and dooneys gate which crashed out at beeches and was recieving the vets attention when the horses came round for the second time and you could see that orius was covered by tarpaulins waiting to be moved and dooneys gate was put down by the vet.

this is the sad side of the sport and although 2 horses died this doesnt happen very often in racing even in meetings like aintree its rare for this to happen.

everyone accepts that horses will fall and horses and jockies will be injured but that is what racing is all about.

our thoughts tonight are with the owners and trainers of the two horses.

I don't accept that racing is about horses falling, and horses and jockies being injured or, in the case of the former, being killed. Didn't four horses die at Aintree last year? But I suppose it's all a very lucrative business.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
CARLA

the grand national

Post by CARLA »

I agree Theia we have a very lucrative House race track here call "DEL MAR RACK TRACK" a few years back we had several I think 4 horses take falls on the track and have to be put down. The racing stopped until they figured out what the problem was. In the end it was the track itself they had to completely redo the track it was to soft. Haven't had a horse incident since.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

the grand national

Post by spot »

Here we are - Report Shows More than 3,000 Deaths for Race Horses in 5 Years - NYTimes.com

For every thousand starts at monitored horse racing tracks over the period covered, one of the horses died at the racing facility.

I think, from last time I worked it out, it ends up at around about one in ten racehorses dying at a race track on a day they're racing. Another one in ten gets to retire in a field and eat grass, the remaining three quarters are slaughtered as petfood when they cost too much and fail to bring home acceptable results. Who, after all, wants an ineffective racehorse costing them an arm and a leg. It's Darwinian natural selection unleashed on what was previously quite an attractive and useful animal called a horse.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

the grand national

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1357274 wrote: Here we are - Report Shows More than 3,000 Deaths for Race Horses in 5 Years - NYTimes.com

For every thousand starts at monitored horse racing tracks over the period covered, one of the horses died at the racing facility.

I think, from last time I worked it out, it ends up at around about one in ten racehorses dying at a race track on a day they're racing. Another one in ten gets to retire in a field and eat grass, the remaining three quarters are slaughtered as petfood when they cost too much and fail to bring home acceptable results. Who, after all, wants an ineffective racehorse costing them an arm and a leg. It's Darwinian natural selection unleashed on what was previously quite an attractive and useful animal called a horse.

You forget the occasional racehorse that's sold off to a young girl who wants a "more exciting ride".

Daughter's friend was one such - the monster was insane and virtually unridable.
spot

the grand national

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1357529 wrote: You forget the occasional racehorse that's sold off to a young girl who wants a "more exciting ride".

Daughter's friend was one such - the monster was insane and virtually unridable.

I can't resist, quite literally I'm like a moth to the flame...

And how was the horse?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

the grand national

Post by YZGI »

spot;1357540 wrote: I can't resist, quite literally I'm like a moth to the flame...

And how was the horse?

Coffee spiller.
Bryn Mawr

the grand national

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1357540 wrote: I can't resist, quite literally I'm like a moth to the flame...

And how was the horse?

I was *so* tempted to go down that line when I posted - but I resisted - manfully. I'm quite proud of myself for that :-p

Return to “Sports”