Oscar's tips for The Grand National...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Yes Folks, Saturday 10th April see's the Racing Calenders 2nd Greatest Event, The Grand National.

A Gruelling race of over 4 miles and the toughest jumps In England. A race where only the fittest survive and the finest National Hunt Jumpers and Stayers make the finishing post.

Once again, your roving Horse Racing fan has been looking at the form for this years race. After seeing some of the runners In action myself, I have reached my Verdict.

This Is what my money will be on...

1st............ Tricky Trickster... Current Price 14/1

2nd............Niche Market..............".............16/1

3rd.............Comply Or Die...... .... " 25/1
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
dubs

Post by dubs »

I don't like it. It's nasty and it's cruel and should have been banned years ago!

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Oscar Namechange

dubs;1302121 wrote: I don't like it. It's nasty and it's cruel and should have been banned years ago! It's not as bad as years gone by Dubs. Regs were put In place to help the safety of the horses.

Taken from the BBC

Julie Briggs, a spokesman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSCPA) says: "We have been working very closely with the Jockey Club and have made a great deal of progress.

"The field has been reduced in size, run-offs have been constructed to allow riderless horses to escape.

Teenager Joe Tizzard was in tears after his mount had to be put down

"Stricter entry requirements for horses and riders have been introduced and the crowd has been moved back at certain points to reduce distractions for the horses."

[we'll never know what the rest said as oscar didn't give us a source link]
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
dubs

Post by dubs »

I hate it as much as you hate Fox Hunting... I'm not bothered about how many humans have died. After all, they had the choice whether to ride or not..

Five Horses Killed at 2009 Grand National Meeting

Posted 4 April 2009

The 2009 Grand National meeting claimed its fifth victim today (April 4) when Hear The Echo collapsed and died at the end of Saturday’s big race. Not since 1997 – when six horses perished – have more horses been killed at the three-day Aintree meeting.

Just 17 of the 40 Thoroughbreds entered into the four-and-a-half mile Grand National finished the race. Hear The Echo collapsed in the run-in and, despite oxygen being administered, he died. Butler’s Cabin also collapsed and required oxygen. At several other races he has had to be revived in this way.

Hear The Echo was just 8-years-old and was having his first race in Britain. His other 22 events were in Ireland.

The three-day meeting got off to a predictably grim start on Thursday, with two deaths and at least two near misses. One of the casualties was the highly-rated Exotic Dancer. The other was Mel In Blue – a horse with a track record at the other end of the ratings scale. Exotic Dancer finished second in his race but, soon after, suffered a fatal heart attack. Mel In Blue was riding in the Foxhunters’ Chase, run over the Grand National course, when he broke his neck after falling at the supposedly much safer Becher’s Brook,

Two more horses were killed the following day (Friday). Moscow Catch died after a heavy fall that appeared to break his neck, and Lilla Sophia, who was four-years-old and had raced only three times before, was destroyed after breaking a leg.

Oscar Namechange

dubs;1302129 wrote: I hate it as much as you hate Fox Hunting... I'm not bothered about how many humans have died. After all, they had the choice whether to ride or not..

Five Horses Killed at 2009 Grand National Meeting

Posted 4 April 2009

The 2009 Grand National meeting claimed its fifth victim today (April 4) when Hear The Echo collapsed and died at the end of Saturday’s big race. Not since 1997 – when six horses perished – have more horses been killed at the three-day Aintree meeting.

Just 17 of the 40 Thoroughbreds entered into the four-and-a-half mile Grand National finished the race. Hear The Echo collapsed in the run-in and, despite oxygen being administered, he died. Butler’s Cabin also collapsed and required oxygen. At several other races he has had to be revived in this way.

Hear The Echo was just 8-years-old and was having his first race in Britain. His other 22 events were in Ireland.

The three-day meeting got off to a predictably grim start on Thursday, with two deaths and at least two near misses. One of the casualties was the highly-rated Exotic Dancer. The other was Mel In Blue – a horse with a track record at the other end of the ratings scale. Exotic Dancer finished second in his race but, soon after, suffered a fatal heart attack. Mel In Blue was riding in the Foxhunters’ Chase, run over the Grand National course, when he broke his neck after falling at the supposedly much safer Becher’s Brook,

Two more horses were killed the following day (Friday). Moscow Catch died after a heavy fall that appeared to break his neck, and Lilla Sophia, who was four-years-old and had raced only three times before, was destroyed after breaking a leg.
Since 1980, the average loss of horse has been one every two years... That's how the stats pan out.

However, last years National was Indeed horrendous for casualties I must admit. That is not the norm. The horses that died did not all die Of the National but the Aintree Course In general.

I was particually upset at the loss of Exotic Dancer. I had followed her career for some years and had seen her run many times especially at Cheltenham. I saw her last year at Cheltenham when she came third In the Gold Cup behind Denman and Kauto Star. She actually gave me the biggest pay out I've ever had by coming third. Forget the win, she was a fabulous stayer and I was absolutely gutted at her loss. Cheltenham missed her presence this year.

I'm whittering...

Any National Hunt Chase Is dangerous to the horses. If you banned the National, next they would be calling for the ban of all National Hunt racing.
dubs

Post by dubs »

oscar;1302134 wrote: Since 1980, the average loss of horse has been one every two years... That's how the stats pan out.

However, last years National was Indeed horrendous for casualties I must admit. That is not the norm. The horses that died did not all die Of the National but the Aintree Course In general.

I was particually upset at the loss of Exotic Dancer. I had followed her career for some years and had seen her run many times especially at Cheltenham. I saw her last year at Cheltenham when she came third In the Gold Cup behind Denman and Kauto Star. She actually gave me the biggest pay out I've ever had by coming third. Forget the win, she was a fabulous stayer and I was absolutely gutted at her loss. Cheltenham missed her presence this year.

I'm whittering...

Any National Hunt Chase Is dangerous to the horses. If you banned the National, next they would be calling for the ban of all National Hunt racing.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to de-rail your thread.. It's just the words Grand National, get my hackles up..

Oscar Namechange

dubs;1302136 wrote: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to de-rail your thread.. It's just the words Grand National, get my hackles up.. Don't be a Rodney... You haven't de-railed the thread. Your dislike of the race Is relevent Input.

Many regs have been put Into place to make the National safer for the runners but as my BBC article said... If your entering a horse Into the National, you really do have to think hard about It. One of the biggest Hazzards for broken legs Is being brought down by a faller and that's why the regs have been changed to less horses entered and over-crowding at the fences. I can remember the days when up to 40 horses ran.

Most people assume that 'Beechers Brook' Is the most dangerous jump at Aintree but this has been shortened for the safety of the horses. IMHO from what I've seen over the years, 'Canal Turn' and 'The Chair' are far more threatening than Beechers.

If you hate It... You hate It but remember that many of these National Hunt Chasers began their lives In Fox-hunting. When the ban came In, they had no use. At least In racing, they have a life afterwards.
Helen

Post by Helen »

oscar;1302138 wrote: Don't be a Rodney... You haven't de-railed the thread. Your dislike of the race Is relevent Input.

Many regs have been put Into place to make the National safer for the runners but as my BBC article said... If your entering a horse Into the National, you really do have to think hard about It. One of the biggest Hazzards for broken legs Is being brought down by a faller and that's why the regs have been changed to less horses entered and over-crowding at the fences. I can remember the days when up to 40 horses ran.

Most people assume that 'Beechers Brook' Is the most dangerous jump at Aintree but this has been shortened for the safety of the horses. IMHO from what I've seen over the years, 'Canal Turn' and 'The Chair' are far more threatening than Beechers.

If you hate It... You hate It but remember that many of these National Hunt Chasers began their lives In Fox-hunting. When the ban came In, they had no use. At least In racing, they have a life afterwards.

hi oscar, must admit im not that keen on the national myself, a few years ago the bbc folllowed a year in training of a horse called DARK IVY during the run up to the afternoons race being screened. it endeared you to the horse and had you rooting for his victory........... sadly he fell at beechers 2nd time round and thankfully died almost instantly.............. i think thats when they made the changes to the course.

the reason i highlighted the bit above was that hello dandy was found starving to death in a feild a couple of years after winning the national.............

however, those of us that do ride, understand fully that an 11stone jocky cannot make half a ton of horse do what it dosnt want to !!!

there a fatalities in all animal sports sadly, just as there are humans............ occupational hazzard im afraid !!
Helen

Post by Helen »

ps,

national hunt horses had to hunt so many times a season to qualify for certain races, hunting was also beneficial in training as some owners who had no access to gallops certainly wouldnt have been allowed to ride willy nilly over the land unless they where following hounds..................
Oscar Namechange

Helen;1302202 wrote: ps,

national hunt horses had to hunt so many times a season to qualify for certain races, hunting was also beneficial in training as some owners who had no access to gallops certainly wouldnt have been allowed to ride willy nilly over the land unless they where following hounds..................
Your correct there Helen. Most go on to Point To Point after showing skill In the Fox Hunting Arena.

I some-times work the Point To Points and It's exciting trying to spot the new Star of tomorrow.

Re: Your former Post... Your right that not all National Winners Owners In the Past have given their horses the life that Rummy had.

Where I lived In West Sussex, I was lucky enough to live very close to the legendary Josh Gifford stables In Findon. I'd drive past some of the most famous horses on my way to work... One being 'Aldaniti'. Now there were some well cared for horses. I could look out my Kitchen window at dawn and see his horses out on The Brow of The Sussex Downs on their hacks... Wonderfull !!!!

I forgot to mention to Dubs In my earlier Post that one very near Fatality along with Exotic Dancer at Aintree last year was Denman who suffered a Horrendous fall. To see him recover from that... Win his 2nd Hennessy In November and come second In the Gold Cup is testament to the horse they call 'The Tank'. Let me tell you that when Kauto Star fell at Cheltenham on his neck and rolled at least three times, I swear my heart stopped beating !!!
Helen

Post by Helen »

hi oscar,

you certainly dont need to be in the same room as me when the nationals on.................. i do a better job bringing them home than most of the jockeys...... and i always cry !! even when its not the one ive backed thats won !!

im actually thankful for my broken ankle right now cos i would have been on my way to work just before the off and would have missed it !!!

i lived just a couple of miles away from david elsworths whitsbury stables, he had dessie there for a while and i STILL NEVER got to see him :rolleyes: mind you he was just a youngster then, waiting in the wings................
busterbloodvessel

Post by busterbloodvessel »

dubs;1302121 wrote: I don't like it. It's nasty and it's cruel and should have been banned years ago!

oh eck not another one of the animal rights brigade

let me spell it out for you its not cruel and its not nasty its sport .

the horses are trained to jump fences and enjoy the run around the racecourse

if a horse didnt want to jump the fence it would refuse .

as oscar said there are rules in place from the BHB and jockey club .

it was animal rights idiots who stopped the national a few years ago the punters at aintree should have lynched them aintree earns a lot of money for the government in taxes and is good for the economy and aids racecourse improvements .

so if dubsy you wish to be a killjoy go and watch 22 men kick a bag of wind around a field and leave racing alone for those who wish to enjoy it :mad::mad::mad:
dubs

Post by dubs »

busterbloodvessel;1302269 wrote: oh eck not another one of the animal rights brigade

let me spell it out for you its not cruel and its not nasty its sport .

the horses are trained to jump fences and enjoy the run around the racecourse

if a horse didnt want to jump the fence it would refuse .

as oscar said there are rules in place from the BHB and jockey club .

it was animal rights idiots who stopped the national a few years ago the punters at aintree should have lynched them aintree earns a lot of money for the government in taxes and is good for the economy and aids racecourse improvements .

so if dubsy you wish to be a killjoy go and watch 22 men kick a bag of wind around a field and leave racing alone for those who wish to enjoy it :mad::mad::mad:

You sound just like a bloke I know... He's a wanker as well!

busterbloodvessel

Post by busterbloodvessel »

i take it by your avatar you like motor racing ?

well thats more dangerous than horse racing fumes polluting the atmosphere drivers racing round at dangerous speeds not to mention the danger to the spectators and the noise like a thousand angry bees gets on my wick.

thats one sport i will not put up with give me my beloved english sport horse racing.

ps as i live in the country i do actually believe in fox hunting although its a gentry sport

by the way theres no need to haul personal insults at me because i disagree with you.

p.s give up yet????? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
dubs

Post by dubs »

busterbloodvessel;1302278 wrote: i take it by your avatar you like motor racing ?

well thats more dangerous than horse racing fumes polluting the atmosphere drivers racing round at dangerous speeds not to mention the danger to the spectators and the noise like a thousand angry bees gets on my wick.

thats one sport i will not put up with give me my beloved english sport horse racing.

ps as i live in the country i do actually believe in fox hunting although its a gentry sport

by the way theres no need to haul personal insults at me because i disagree with you.

Actually, I don't like any sport with animals in.. Not cos I'm some sort of crusader for animal rights, I just find them pretty boring.. As for calling you a wanker. I find it breaks the ice to throw out a few insults.......:D But if you're seriously offended, I apologise and retract it, but reserve the right to use it at a future time! :yh_rotfl

Helen

Post by Helen »

busterbloodvessel;1302278 wrote: i take it by your avatar you like motor racing ?

ps as i live in the country i do actually believe in fox hunting although its a gentry sportby the way theres no need to haul personal insults at me because i disagree with you.

no it isnt !!!:-3

i hunted for years til age and lack of horse (not my own ) forced me to give up !!! i'd still be going on foot now, but i lost my partner just over 4yrs ago and i dont drive so cant get to any of the meets !!:(
Helen

Post by Helen »

bet ive opened a big can of worms now ..........................:wah:
Helen

Post by Helen »

watching the josh gifford interview on tv about aldaniti and bob champion........................what a lovely guy !!! and still as emotional as when it first happened !!

lumpy throat time :rolleyes:

Return to “Sports”