Automobile safety and Nascar

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I myself have been involved in a few car accidents, I know of one that I sometimes ask myself how it was possible for me to not even be injured let alone die in a car that has flipped over ultimately landing upside down with all of us trapped in it, I also realize that alot of people in very similar accidents haven't been as lucky...

It has taken about 100 years for the government to even pass a seat belt law here, which to me I find extremely awkward. They should have made the seat belt a law back in the 50's with cars obviously gaining more and more power...Why? Because it sells. It sells, and the people who sell them isn't the government, so why, why has it taken them so long to take their thumbs out of their ears and look at all of the evidence related to vehicle safety?

When my father was the back up driver for ARCA driver, and long time friend Bobby Jacks, Bobby had been racing at Daytona and exiting turn 2 he had flipped the car seven times in excess of 190 MPH, and walked away from it unfazed like most do...

Nascar cars, while yes the media may blow things up when a race car driver dies, but honestly, it is very rare in stock car racing to see people die, even at speeds of 190 MPH...

Why? Because the cars are built to withstand the force of the impacts a car may suffer in the event of a crash...Roll Cages...This isn't just a big pile of metal thrown together...Roll cages are designed with precision and skill...And it's not just the box surrounding the driver, it's starts from the front clip welded to the frame on back to the rear clip designed to break so the driver doesn't take the brunt of the force, mostly for when the driver loses control and the rear of the car slides sideways(with the rear side facing the wall) and upon the car catching it's grip back to the pavement, rocketing it back up into the wall(It turns out that it would be just as safe if another car were to run into the back of them while they are idle - but that is extremely rare)

So, I'm left with one question, why doesn't the government mandate a roll cage in cars? I know that some of the concern is about room for the family, but I also know that some of these vehicles people buy could fit a cow in it, let alone 3 small kids. And I can buy $500 worth of steel tubing, the same stuff we use for our roll cages, and make the safest cars your family could even dream of, forget about crash test ratings, so money isn't of an issue.

People continue to buy cars that I wouldn't trust go cart racing in...They are truly heaps of scrap...The only thing that's keeping street cars safe, is a frame(that has the ride height of about two feet, rendering it practically useless in collisions of anything taller than 2 1/2) and metal literally 1/4 inch thick, that you could punch a dint in, let alone a car crash.

Am I the only one who finds this a little too uncaring and unmotivated? What are some of your thoughts?

This is the worse crash I have ever witnessed on television, and Geoff Bodine was relatively ok...All he received was minor injuries, and the stretcher was merely precautionary.

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

These crashes mostly had minimal injuries.

dubs

Post by dubs »

If a few people I know saw a roll cage in a car, they would take that as an invitation to go race! Also K, if you built your heavier framed, thicker panelled car(with roll cage) how would you sell it, in a gas mileage concious market. After all that's one of the reasons cars are so light and skinny nowadays!

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;558038 wrote: If a few people I know saw a roll cage in a car, they would take that as an invitation to go race!

Kids have been racing since the dawn of Henry Ford...There's just nothing you can do about it, although you might be able to contain it by making the punishment for road racing harsher, but that's a whole another topic...

Also, in respect to this observation happening to be an insinuation of safety precaution, if all of the cars had roll cages, that would make them all just as safe, relatively negating it. My logic

dubs;558038 wrote:

Also K, if you built your heavier framed, thicker panelled car(with roll cage) how would you sell it, in a gas mileage conscious market. After all that's one of the reasons cars are so light and skinny nowadays!

Honestly, they could go to diesel for all I care, I save my racing for the track...

But, in a more realistic approach, We could cut out hundreds of pounds of junk in modern cars that are completely unneeded.

The average weight of your standard Sudan here in America is around 3,000lbs I believe...

Our race cars weigh 2,050 lbs. I don't believe the weight would be a factor, and besides, who's going to say they would rather have a more fuel efficient car than one that ensures the safety of their child's life?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;558038 wrote: Also K, if you built your heavier framed, thicker panelled car(with roll cage)

Also, I was merely emphasizing the safety aspect of the modern vehicle in comparison to one that would have a roll cage. The paneling on the modern car, is the roll cage...which is extremely weak.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Hope you take care K. :-4
abbey

Post by abbey »

Soberano;558083 wrote: Did you see that kid from top gear, Richard Hammond i think he is called. He must be the luckiest man alive after his 300mph smack a short while ago. Some clever dick will find a video and stick it up for you K if you haven't seen it.Here ya go, and NO i am not a clever dick just resourceful :wah:

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Soberano;558083 wrote: Did you see that kid from top gear, Richard Hammond i think he is called. He must be the luckiest man alive after his 300mph smack a short while ago. Some clever dick will find a video and stick it up for you K if you haven't seen it.

Here it is.

They were in the right place to be, what I'm assuming they are testing it out...

To be honest, those type of drag cars are probably safer than any other vehicle because the cockpit is smaller...

But being in a wide open space like that, they really have nothing other than fire to worry about, obviously you would always have to take into account fire, and the occasional freak accident.

Being in grass throughout the worst of it was probably the best thing they could have anticipated...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

abbey;558096 wrote: Here ya go, and NO i am not a clever dick just resourceful :wah:

Oh, sorry, I was posting simultaneously...

Oh well...There will be two. :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

That's actually exactly what happened when I was in the car that flipped...

Only we didn't blow a tire, a rear tire was bald and it had been raining, accompanied by the driver speeding around a turn...

But we slid sideways in the same way, and half of the car went in the grass, and then I remember saying to myself when the car started rumbling from the roughness of the grass "We'll be ok, we'll just spin out in the grass", and that's when I heard a big crash, and we flipped(have no idea how many times) and eventually landed upside down, while I was spitting out glass.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

abbey;558075 wrote: Hope you take care K. :-4

Oh thank you Abbey
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

Good post, K.

I remember when my sister rolled her 66 Impala on the Garden State Parkway.

No seatbelt.

Our father showed up and made sure she was ok. And she was.

Then he cried over the loss of his baby.

I think she was ok because that was a tough car. And since then all I drive is BIG!

(Buying a Ramcharger next.) :D
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

JacksDad;558290 wrote: Good post, K.

I remember when my sister rolled her 66 Impala on the Garden State Parkway.

No seatbelt.

Our father showed up and made sure she was ok. And she was.

Then he cried over the loss of his baby.

I think she was ok because that was a tough car. And since then all I drive is BIG!

(Buying a Ramcharger next.) :D

Yeah the older cars were/are safer than the ones today, but to affiliate the word "safe" with street cars can only be expressed in relation to their comparison of other cars...which is too unacceptable in my opinion...

Honestly, I would vote for a law in limiting the speed of cars to less than 60 MPH...

Return to “Sports”