Hawking joins Plan to send light sail powered craft out to see what's out there.

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
LarsMac

Hawking joins Plan to send light sail powered craft out to see what's out there.

Post by LarsMac »

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to live for a very long time. I want to see this project come to fruition.

I want to see what they find.

Stephen Hawking joins futuristic bid to explore outer space | The Seattle Times

From the article:

"Yuri Milner said the eventual goal is sending hundreds or thousands of tiny spacecraft, each weighing far less than an ounce, to the Alpha Centauri star system. That’s more than 2,000 times as far as any spacecraft has gone so far.

Propelled by energy from a powerful array of Earth-based lasers, the spacecraft would fly at about one-fifth the speed of light. They could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years, where they could make observations and send the results back to Earth."
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1494611 wrote: This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to live for a very long time. I want to see this project come to fruition.

From the article:

"Yuri Milner said the eventual goal is sending hundreds or thousands of tiny spacecraft, each weighing far less than an ounce, to the Alpha Centauri star system. That’s more than 2,000 times as far as any spacecraft has gone so far.

Propelled by energy from a powerful array of Earth-based lasers, the spacecraft would fly at about one-fifth the speed of light. They could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years, where they could make observations and send the results back to Earth."

I was just looking at :-

Hawking backs interstellar travel project - BBC News

Auntie Beeb reckons thirty years but what's the odd decade between friends?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1494611 wrote: This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to live for a very long time. I want to see this project come to fruition.

From the article:

Interesting concept, I like it.

Now lets see.

They could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years, where they could make observations and send the results back to Earth.

Twenty years there then we wait another 4.35, , years. for the results.

I am willing to wait to see just how a bottle of a bottle of OLD NO. 7 smooths out. Will cigars be legal then?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

"Make it so "
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Maybe some of that intelligent life that I KNOW is out there will see us taking our baby steps and help us to hurry it along. Or if you believe in reincarnation . . . .
spot

Post by spot »

I have no idea how they think these things will communicate back. Has anyone a thought on that? Each craft weighs under an ounce. Is a low-power laser channel seriously going to be seen from several light years off?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I reckon they will send pigeons in space suits back although I would imagine it would be rather difficult to affix a written note on the bird's leg. Who would be around to write the message anyway ? It just won't happen will it !?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1494622 wrote: I have no idea how they think these things will communicate back. Has anyone a thought on that? Each craft weighs under an ounce. Is a low-power laser channel seriously going to be seen from several light years off?

They'll just have to find a phone booth, or something.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am more concerned how somebody/anybody can find a spare $100 million to put into such a project, there must be more pressing earthly *cough* challenges
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1494628 wrote: I am more concerned how somebody/anybody can find a spare $100 million to put into such a project, there must be more pressing earthly *cough* challenges

Compare it to our military budget and it's loose change.

We waste more money each year on blocked beds in the NHS.

We give many times that to the world's fifth largest economy in aid.

There are many other places to get the money for our earthly challenges.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1494630 wrote: Compare it to our military budget and it's loose change.

We waste more money each year on blocked beds in the NHS.

We give many times that to the world's fifth largest economy in aid.

There are many other places to get the money for our earthly challenges.

You are talking national expenditure, the article says, and I quote "an Internet investor announced that he’s spending $100 million on a futuristic plan to explore far outside our solar system"

'An' Internet investor, not a consortium or country, my mind is boggled.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1494632 wrote: You are talking national expenditure, the article says, and I quote "an Internet investor announced that he’s spending $100 million on a futuristic plan to explore far outside our solar system"

'An' Internet investor, not a consortium or country, my mind is boggled.

He owns most of Facebook and is a multi-billionaire so it's more like you or I investing ten grand.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Like me investing £100 maybe.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Jones Jones (Jj) would love this post! It is right down his alley. Just saying for all of us Earthlings. :-6
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1494644 wrote: Jones Jones (Jj) would love this post! It is right down his alley. Just saying for all of us Earthlings. :-6

Wonderful to see you :-6

I hope everything is good in your life?

Return to “Science Technology Videos”