sssh! It's not the fracking

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

UK fracking site near Blackpool reports largest tremor yet

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tremor-yet
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

When they first started fracking there tremors were recorded.

Then they suspended fracking while investigations took place (by themselves).

Their own findings proved that the tremors were unrelated & fracking was resumed.

Within a couple of weeks, stronger tremors were, once again recorded. Similar events are to be seen at other fracking sites around the country - but the earthquakes are totally unrelated to the fracking, of course.

We know that because the Fracking Companies say so - and they're the experts in Fracking, so they should know, of course.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ahum, Mr. FourPart, do I detect a touch of sarcasm. Strange how these know-it-all companies take no notice of the problems that America is experiencing with their fracking. Oh it's all to do with money and bugger the people who are against this type of mining (having investigated and researched as much as possible about this fracking ), and also the environment.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I grew up in Southern California, USA.

A 2.1 mag is an everyday thing there. It would concern me if it is not the norm like a year or two I felt an earthquake just over 200 miles away down Oklahoma way.

That was a 5 pointer plus which caused lots of damage. Here it was barely noticeable.

In my place nearby there have been a lot of 4 pointers.

By itself, quakes are no worry, but midwest buildings are not built for shaking the ground like they are in California.

Kansas tightens fracking restrictions
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

The reason fracking is a potential problem is that the consequent micro-tremors can pollute water tables which feed the public drinking supply.

No British fracking operation is allowed anywhere near a public drinking supply collection basin for this specific reason.

I can think of no other problem that has ever been identified with fracking. If anyone else knows one perhaps they could point out what it is.

It most certainly isn't related to damage to anyone's property, for example.

Any suggestions, anyone?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1524610 wrote: The reason fracking is a potential problem is that the consequent micro-tremors can pollute water tables which feed the public drinking supply.

No British fracking operation is allowed anywhere near a public drinking supply collection basin for this specific reason.

I can think of no other problem that has ever been identified with fracking. If anyone else knows one perhaps they could point out what it is.

Any suggestions, anyone?

I was raised near Blackpool. I could even see the tower whilst cycling to work.

The fracking at Blackpool most certainly is near a water table. I used to work at Ormskirk Hospital where part of my job was to climb the water tower a couple of times a day to check the levels of the water which were mainly drawn from the natural springs, and if they went below a certain level to turn on the mains & take the meter readings. The natural water there was ice cold & tasted gorgeous. Despite what they say about frequent testing, I don't think I would trust it as much as I used to any more.

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/groundwa ... shire.html
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1524610 wrote: The reason fracking is a potential problem is that the consequent micro-tremors can pollute water tables which feed the public drinking supply.

Any suggestions, anyone?

fracking was banned through government legislation in my state. The devastation to the tableland water would be horrific....so what do they do ? Frack the Northern territory. that's not good. I had someone tell me (btw who believes in fracking) that the country would be fkd if they fracked Victoria....so what they've done is gone NT and will frack the very water that effects us . You'd have to know a lot about how Vic gets it's water through underground tables ..NT fracking will effect us. Someone has waged war on the world through environmental means . We need to kill them.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1524805 wrote: I was raised near Blackpool. I could even see the tower whilst cycling to work.

The fracking at Blackpool most certainly is near a water table. I used to work at Ormskirk Hospital where part of my job was to climb the water tower a couple of times a day to check the levels of the water which were mainly drawn from the natural springs, and if they went below a certain level to turn on the mains & take the meter readings. The natural water there was ice cold & tasted gorgeous. Despite what they say about frequent testing, I don't think I would trust it as much as I used to any more.

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/groundwa ... shire.html

That was well worth finding and I learned a lot from the link, thank you.

If you look at what I posted I made specific reference only to "water tables which feed the public drinking supply" and "public drinking supply collection basin". I don't see any contradiction between that and your linked article and observation. I agree water has always been extracted for private use and I also agree that such private supplies may well be at risk.

I think it's a matter of swings and roundabouts. Either way society gains from A while it loses from B. Fracking has a larger public benefit than private extraction, while the public water supply is fully protected.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “United Kingdom”