Idiots

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Idiots

Post by gmc »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/d ... ocid=wispr

If you see a deer SWIMMING why would you assume it is in difficulties? Did they think it had fallen in or something? caught by the tide when in for a paddle. I've seen a herd of deer swimming from the mainland to skye you occasionally see them in lochs - cattle can swim as well. I just can't credit someone seeing an animal swimming would assume it's doing it by accident.
Bruv

Idiots

Post by Bruv »

And I thought you was talking about a Google image search using the search term 'Idiot'

Go on.....I know you want to.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Idiots

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Last summer, here in Brooklyn, NY, we had two deer swim from Staten Island to Coney Island, where they preceded to go to Nathan's Famous for some hot dogs. Well, they did run loose in the street. And how did they come to be on Staten Island? They swam (swum?) from New Jersey. Of course deer swim, what a dope.
Clodhopper

Idiots

Post by Clodhopper »

I've a theory about boats. You've heard of force multipliers? Boats are idiocy multipliers. No matter how stupid someone is on land, they are more stupid in a boat.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
tude dog

Idiots

Post by tude dog »

Go ahead, call me an idiot because I didn't know deer/cattle and whatever swim. Never crossed my mind, until now.

But then why not? I knew elephants swim.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
gmc

Idiots

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1520002 wrote: And I thought you was talking about a Google image search using the search term 'Idiot'

Go on.....I know you want to.

That is something I was completely unaware of.

Posted by tude dog

Go ahead, call me an idiot because I didn't know deer/cattle and whatever swim. Never crossed my mind, until now.

But then why not? I knew elephants swim.

What never watched any westerns where they drive the cattle across a river? :sneaky:

Wouldn't call you that it may be something beyond your ken but I bet you wouldn't assume a deer in the sea had gone for a paddle and got into difficulties which is what these guys seem to have done. All migratory animals can swim - how else do they cross rivers. Never really thought about it before -I live on an island where the furthest you can get from the sea is seventy miles and I had to google to find that out. I've seen deer swimming quite a few times. I can drive from the north Atlantic to the north sea in a couple of hours depending on the traffic

Must be odd living in the middle of a continent.
Bruv

Idiots

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1520017 wrote: Must be odd living in the middle of a continent.

I would be as bold to say ALL animals could/would swim at a pinch, even so called water hating cats.

They have rivers and lakes in the middle of America.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
magentaflame

Idiots

Post by magentaflame »

Clodhopper;1520010 wrote: I've a theory about boats. You've heard of force multipliers? Boats are idiocy multipliers. No matter how stupid someone is on land, they are more stupid in a boat.

Oh that is sooooo true. I bear witness to it often.

Kangaroos can swim, you often see them in the surf
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
tude dog

Idiots

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1520017 wrote: That is something I was completely unaware of.

Posted by tude dog

What never watched any westerns where they drive the cattle across a river? :sneaky:

Oh yea, I'm a big fan of Rawhide (TV series)

Sometimes the rivers are swollen so they would have to wait so the beeves could walk across, so I thought.

gmc;1520017 wrote: Wouldn't call you that it may be something beyond your ken but I bet you wouldn't assume a deer in the sea had gone for a paddle and got into difficulties which is what these guys seem to have done. All migratory animals can swim - how else do they cross rivers. Never really thought about it before -I live on an island where the furthest you can get from the sea is seventy miles and I had to google to find that out. I've seen deer swimming quite a few times. I can drive from the north Atlantic to the north sea in a couple of hours depending on the traffic. Must be odd living in the middle of a continent.

Actually, I spent most of my life living in Southern California 25 miles from the ocean. semi-arid with no rivers and not near lakes. The only reason I knew elephants could swim was that I read at one time they lived on the Channel Islands off the coast of CA.

I never been that big of a wildlife person.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Clodhopper

Idiots

Post by Clodhopper »

Kangaroos can swim, you often see them in the surf

Didn't know that. Mind you I had a lot of misconceptions about Australia when young. When I first heard that all Aussie vehicles had roo catchers on the front I pictured a bloke with a lassoo and an expression of wild enthusiasm...:)

Mind you, thinking about it, just about any animal we think of as a land animal can swim, even if they don't often. Trying to think of exceptions….giraffes?

... don't know if you ever heard this? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ka ... &FORM=VIRE

magentaflame

Idiots

Post by magentaflame »

i don't like swimming snakes .

kangaroos swimming (when not chased in by idiots ) youtube it.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Idiots

Post by LarsMac »

Clodhopper;1520109 wrote: Didn't know that. Mind you I had a lot of misconceptions about Australia when young. When I first heard that all Aussie vehicles had roo catchers on the front I pictured a bloke with a lassoo and an expression of wild enthusiasm...:)

Mind you, thinking about it, just about any animal we think of as a land animal can swim, even if they don't often. Trying to think of exceptions….giraffes?

... don't know if you ever heard this? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ka ... &FORM=VIRE

That was rather odd. Interesting to see videos from the 80s, these days. Production has certainly improved.

As for swimming, I know that Chimpanzees are unable to swim. Mostly because they have no buoyancy in the water.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Idiots

Post by Clodhopper »

LarsMac;1520132 wrote: That was rather odd. Interesting to see videos from the 80s, these days. Production has certainly improved.

As for swimming, I know that Chimpanzees are unable to swim. Mostly because they have no buoyancy in the water.

chuckle. Yep, Kate Bush is unique. Don't think there's ever been anything like her before or since.

Chimps, eh? That makes sense - I was reminded of a story I read about people studying chimp societies and they were concentrating on two very different societies which were separated by a river they could not cross. I assumed at the time it was a fast flowing river or something but if chimps sink that would also fit. The interesting thing about the two societies was that one was female dominated and co-operative and peaceful and the other was male dominated and warlike and hunted other animals - monkeys particularly.

FourPart

Idiots

Post by FourPart »

Considering that all land animals share their common ancestry from sea creatures it's not that surprising.
FourPart

Idiots

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1520132 wrote: That was rather odd. Interesting to see videos from the 80s, these days. Production has certainly improved.

Not quite so...

Chimpanzees, Orangutans Can Swim and Dive, Biologists Prove | Biology | Sci-News.com

Return to “United Kingdom”