Blue passport nonsense

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Blue passport nonsense

Post by gmc »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -statement

OK since this is just more brexit nonsense I would like to lodge my objection to the use of blue, presumably royal blue. Red was the colour ised by the new model army in the civil war to distinquish them from the mainly blue coated but also multi coloured royalist forces and encourage a sense iof identity. Given that the brexiteers motive is to restore parliaments sovereignty why on earth are they going for blue passports? it should be red or even perhaps burgundy though maybe they think that is too french for them.

Oliver Cromwell

I had rather have a plain, russet-coated Captain, that knows what he fights for, and loves what he knows, than that you call a Gentleman and is nothing else.


Mind you in their demented world where a character like guy fawkes can becone a pro democracy activist they probably don't know what I am on about.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38767
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Blue passport nonsense

Post by spot »

I had rather hoped that for as long as my EU passport was valid I'd be allowed through EU borders unimpeded but the article suggests otherwise. Bad cess on the wretches who prefer their spurious admiration for national sovereignty over International sovereignty.

I'd be happy if every individual in the UK had a choice of applying either to the UK or to the EU for a passport. If I could apply for German nationality at this stage I'd even do that.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Blue passport nonsense

Post by Bruv »

The irony is many believe the colour is an EU directive, it's not, other EU countries have remained with their own coloured passports.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12366
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Blue passport nonsense

Post by LarsMac »

You Brits have always been a bit prickly over border passage through the whole EU thing. I could wander all over the EU without ever showing my passport, except when crossing UK border points.

Now that you're bailing out of the EU, you worry about how to be treated at the border?
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

Blue passport nonsense

Post by FourPart »

I seem to remember that technically a Passport is required to leave a country, not to enter one. Not quite sure where I came across that though.
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Blue passport nonsense

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1516259 wrote: You Brits have always been a bit prickly over border passage through the whole EU thing. I could wander all over the EU without ever showing my passport, except when crossing UK border points.

Now that you're bailing out of the EU, you worry about how to be treated at the border?


Please don't tar us all with the same brush. We have these people called brexiteers who are half wit morons that believe all they read in the daily mail. It's like immigration, most of it is from outside the european union we could stop that any time we like. Think trump supporters without the guns and the pointy hats and that don;t let facts get in the way of a good prejudice.

Who cares what colour the passport is? of all the stupid things to get worked up about. Actually the blue in the union flag comes from the saltire maybe white or red should be the colour.
User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

Blue passport nonsense

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1516265 wrote: Please don't tar us all with the same brush. We have these people called brexiteers who are half wit morons that believe all they read in the daily mail. It's like immigration, most of it is from outside the european union we could stop that any time we like. Think trump supporters without the guns and the pointy hats and that don;t let facts get in the way of a good prejudice.

Who cares what colour the passport is? of all the stupid things to get worked up about. Actually the blue in the union flag comes from the saltire maybe white or red should be the colour.
Actually, the White would be a far more reliable colour, as it's the only one common to all 3 of the Union. After all, we can't rely on the existence of Blue in the Union Flag for much longer, meaning that all the countries of the Commonwealth will also have to change their flags if Scotland gets independence.
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12366
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

Blue passport nonsense

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1516261 wrote: I seem to remember that technically a Passport is required to leave a country, not to enter one. Not quite sure where I came across that though.


Well, When taking the EuroRail to Paris, and upon return, I had to produce my passport and allow an inspection of my bags.

Was the only EU member country that required such.

Same when coming over on the Ferry in a car, and leaving.

That was a few years ago.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38767
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Blue passport nonsense

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1516259 wrote: You Brits have always been a bit prickly over border passage through the whole EU thing. I could wander all over the EU without ever showing my passport, except when crossing UK border points.

Now that you're bailing out of the EU, you worry about how to be treated at the border?


Nobody who has validly entered the EU area which has no border checks - the Schengen area of the EU - shows a passport while traveling within the area, nobody from the UK will do so after Brexit just as they don't now. UK citizens entering the Schengen area will find the process more tedious after Brexit. At worst we might need to apply for, and pay for, a visa before traveling.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Return to “United Kingdom”