Cottaging

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
spot

Cottaging

Post by spot »

I'm at my holiday cottage for the week, having found a local firm to re-carpet the upper floor. Somehow I'm meant to get all the beds dismantled - I'm replacing the beds too - and lifting all the existing carpet.

Dismantling beds I can manage.

Lifting carpet has me absolutely baffled. How on earth am I meant to do this?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Cottaging

Post by Bruv »

I am not here because of the misleading headline.........................honestly.

You don't 'lift' carpets, you roll them up.

If you are disposing of them invest in a stanley knife and cut them in situ into manageable sizes to enable carrying them alone (if you are working alone)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!

Cottaging

Post by Ahso! »

If you're hiring an installer for the new flooring, they will usually remove the old carpeting for a small additional charge.

If you're removing the carpeting yourself, and it's wall to wall carpeting go around the perimeter and pull it off the tacking and then roll it up.

If you're replacing the carpeting with new, It might be advisable to also replace the padding underneath as well as the tacking strips.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Cottaging

Post by spot »

I had no idea these contractors would do it if asked. I just now rang the gang leader and asked if they'd get the old stuff up and out too and he said yes. Thank you both, that's sorted my week.

I'd searched eBay for a donkey jacket earlier.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Cottaging

Post by Bruv »

They will be in and out, make it look a lot easier than it is.

Make sure you get the kettle on as soon as they arrive..........................and no cottaging jokes........in fact none of your jokes at all........they are an acquired taste.
Ahso!

Cottaging

Post by Ahso! »

I would be sure to treat and seal the subfloor underneath since the carpeting is coming up.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Cottaging

Post by spot »

I'm making progress but I'll leave the floor preparation to the carpet fitters, they've included that in their quote.
magentaflame

Cottaging

Post by magentaflame »

Cottaging...I love cottaging.!!!! Victoria hase few free cottages for bushwalkers in the hills .(some known others are secret).

I want to do that when I come to England. Rent one for the weekend or something, but in in cold weather. Might have to find one in Scotland.

It's funny that's how I eventually want to live. In a cottage off grid on my own property in the hills. (one day)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Cottaging

Post by spot »

The most remote one I know is alongside the Cairngorms, half way along a walking path called the Lairig Ghru https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngo ... ghru.shtml - it's the nearest we come to wilderness. Mountain shepherds in Wales have remote cottages with no utilities, and on the outer islands there are still a few unconverted crofts. You don't get much daylight during winter at 60 degrees north. Lilian Beckwith wrote about wintering in her croft, if you have a Kindle.
Clodhopper

Cottaging

Post by Clodhopper »

There's a very crude bothy (no door) on the summit of Cader Idris that wasn't marked on the Ordnance survey map I had at the time. That was a surprise as the OS is usually exhaustive in its detail.

edit: And gosh folks - opportunity missed or what? You could have had spot removing his carpet with a Stanley knife one small square at a time! sigh. Too late now.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Cottaging

Post by Bruv »

magentaflame;1505910 wrote: Cottaging...I love cottaging.!!!!

English Cottaging
Bruv

Cottaging

Post by Bruv »

Clodhopper;1505920 wrote: You could have had spot removing his carpet with a Stanley knife one small square at a time!

He's not that daft.
magentaflame

Cottaging

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1505922 wrote: English Cottaging

Good grief! First dogging now cottaging. Why are you the one who seems to be most versed in these things?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bruv

Cottaging

Post by Bruv »

magentaflame;1505940 wrote: Why are you the one who seems to be most versed in these things?

What things ?

I know what brain surgery is, I don't do it.
magentaflame

Cottaging

Post by magentaflame »

Nah give it a go..... see what happens
spot

Cottaging

Post by spot »

I'm back, if anyone wants to know. The electrics are adjusted, the outgoing kit has a collection date arranged, the fitters are all booked, I might go up again next weekend and the first booking is at the end of March. It was quite pleasant being warm for a few days.
gmc

Cottaging

Post by gmc »

I've got a caravan currently on site down in the borders. Walkd across in to england the other day seemed a good idea to do it before the tories close the border to stop people fleeing england after brexit.

The most remote one I know is alongside the Cairngorms, half way along a walking path called the Lairig Ghru https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cair...rig-ghru.shtml - it's the nearest we come to wilderness. Mountain shepherds in Wales have remote cottages with no utilities, and on the outer islands there are still a few unconverted crofts. You don't get much daylight during winter at 60 degrees north. Lilian Beckwith wrote about wintering in her croft, if you have a Kindle.

Famous in hillwalking circles for actually having a toilet. Used to be one iof the haunts of bothy bill - a tramp who wandered the hills in between signing on in kingussie was reputably the best equipped tramp in the country having helped huimself from gear left in the bothy while tghe iwner was on the hills. probably dead now.

Return to “United Kingdom”