May loses Brexit ruling

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by gmc »

Hooray

May loses Brexit ruling - MPs must vote on Article 50 | News | The National

Theresa May humiliated as High Court rules MPs MUST vote on Brexit before Article 50 is triggered | Daily Mail Online

Tory MP and prominent Brexit campaigner Jacob Rees-Mogg said the judgement 'turns on its head' convention over the Prime Minister's powers - insisting Parliament had already been involved in allowing the referendum.

He told Sky News: ‘I’m very surprised. What’s surprised me is every court case brought against the European treaties, when powers were flowing to the EU, and the Government’s powers were upheld.

Idiot, theresa may and her cabinet is not the government she cannot do this without parliaments approval in the uk parliament is sovereign to try and use royal prorogative to bypass them is just flat out wrong.
spot

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by spot »

Blimey. That's the referendum result ditched then, there's no possible way the House is ever going to vote in favour of submitting a request to leave.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by Bruv »

So......where did the whole thing go wrong ?

When Ca-moron put the idea forward for a referendum ?

If so...............why didn't the High Court get asked at that stage to rule one way or the other ?

Is the only way now to put forward explicit details of the conditions of our leaving before yet another referendum.......or what ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by gmc »

No not imo it's not there's probably going to be another referendum and hopefully once the details of any arrangement with the single market are known and those who voted in protest have had time to realise the consequences of not being in it we might get a mores sensible decision. As it was we had a right wing takeover of our country very much on the cards.

You know you still get people that believe nigel fagage and boris johnston were telling the truth.
Bruv

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by Bruv »

How about Boris statement about Brexit being a Titanic success for the UK................................the mans a complete numb nuts.

Boris Johnson makes 'Titanic' Brexit comment
gmc

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1502275 wrote: How about Boris statement about Brexit being a Titanic success for the UK................................the mans a complete numb nuts.

Boris Johnson makes 'Titanic' Brexit comment

freudian slip perhaps?
Bruv

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1502293 wrote: freudian slip perhaps?

Or the man is an idiot.......remember he is the Foreign Secretary...........god help us all.
FourPart

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by FourPart »

Just who are Parliament supposed to represent? The people who put them there or their own self interests? Throughout the campaign the vast majority of Parliament were very much on the side of Pro-Remain. DESPITE this biased leaning, with propaganda being churned out at the Tax Payers expense trying to persuade the British Public to vote to Remain, the vote still decisively went to Leave. The turnout was the biggest ever. Now, despite Millions voting to leave 3 judges rule against the result on the grounds that it is "Unconstitutional". Pardon me? Britain doesn't even HAVE a written constitution. How can it be unconstitutional? It's as binding as a Verbal Contract.
Snowfire

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by Snowfire »

FourPart;1502297 wrote: Just who are Parliament supposed to represent? The people who put them there or their own self interests? Throughout the campaign the vast majority of Parliament were very much on the side of Pro-Remain. DESPITE this biased leaning, with propaganda being churned out at the Tax Payers expense trying to persuade the British Public to vote to Remain, the vote still decisively went to Leave. The turnout was the biggest ever. Now, despite Millions voting to leave 3 judges rule against the result on the grounds that it is "Unconstitutional". Pardon me? Britain doesn't even HAVE a written constitution. How can it be unconstitutional? It's as binding as a Verbal Contract.

They havent ruled against the referendum. Its not about reversing the decision to leave. Its about Parliament discussing what happens with Article 50 and how its triggered.

General consensus amongst most commentators is that most MP's wont vote against the Leave vote. Some will of course. If they are brave enough.

The chances of Brexit being overturned are still very minimal. It is just about possible to conceive how the UK could stay in the EU (parliament votes to insert a second referendum clause into the article 50 Brexit bill, and some economic catastrophe results in a sharp change in public opinion by 2018) but you would be unwise to bet on it. Most MPs and peers who voted remain accept that the result of the referendum should be honoured.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1502297 wrote: Just who are Parliament supposed to represent? The people who put them there or their own self interests? Throughout the campaign the vast majority of Parliament were very much on the side of Pro-Remain. DESPITE this biased leaning, with propaganda being churned out at the Tax Payers expense trying to persuade the British Public to vote to Remain, the vote still decisively went to Leave. The turnout was the biggest ever. Now, despite Millions voting to leave 3 judges rule against the result on the grounds that it is "Unconstitutional". Pardon me? Britain doesn't even HAVE a written constitution. How can it be unconstitutional? It's as binding as a Verbal Contract.

So you vote to leave because you want you parliament to take back power but you are quite happy to see the prime minister use ROYAL PROROGATIVE to bypass parliament. We're a parliamentary democracy you might want to see a right wiung dictatorship in the UK I for one don't. Primus inter pares look it up.

As snowfire says it;'s not about reversing the decision it's about stopping dictatorship by an unelected prime minister. Can't wait to see how the daily mail reacts to scotland having a second referendum which is becomnmng ever more likely as time goes on.
FourPart

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by FourPart »

I expect Parliament to represent the Will of the People. However, they have repeatedly demonstrated that they do not do this. Parliament was, and still is, opposed to leaving the EU. The majority of the Public do not agree. Which one is really going to be represented?
gmc

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1502317 wrote: I expect Parliament to represent the Will of the People. However, they have repeatedly demonstrated that they do not do this. Parliament was, and still is, opposed to leaving the EU. The majority of the Public do not agree. Which one is really going to be represented?

They're not delegates they are there to represent the people, if the people are not happy they can always replace them - at least in theory in actual fact very few MP's actually have the majority of the electorate in each constituancy except nowadys scottish MP's tend top have been elected with large majorities.

Are you really saying the views of 48% of the people are to be ignored? It was hardly an overwhelming majority the views of those who want to at least stay in the single market at least should not be ignored. Besides once the consequences of leaving the single market sink in a lot of those whose main motive was protest might rethink imo. Wonder what they bribed nissan with. Can't be staying in the single market may is hardly in a position to promise that is she and nissan is 40% owned by renault if I worked at nissan I think i would be breconsidering my vote. Toyota already has plant in eastern europe.

To say we shopuld just leave before we know what any agreement is likely to be is insane now the brexiteers want to destroy the power of parliament and rule by dictat. The ones that shouts the nloudet are not always right I doubt very much the " people" wanr democracy in the Uk to end at the behest of the daily mail. .

Article 50: Liz Truss defends judges accused of 'blocking Brexit' by politicians and press | Politics | News | Daily Express

We respect the law' Government gives support to embattled judges over Article 50 ruling

What a sad state of affairs when a british government might even think it is above the law.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,

Gunpowder treason and plot.

We see no reason

Why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot!

Guy Fawkes, guy, t'was his intent

To blow up king and parliament.

Three score barrels were laid below

To prove old England's overthrow.

By god's mercy he was catch'd

With a darkened lantern and burning match.

So, holler boys, holler boys, Let the bells ring.

Holler boys, holler boys, God save the king.

And what shall we do with him?

Burn him!

Had he succeeded his intent was to restore the divine right of kings and a catholic monarchy. Royal prorogative is not something that should exist in the 21st century much less be used by an unelected prime minister to pander to ukip and the tory right.
FourPart

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by FourPart »

If the Scottish vote were disregarded the majority would have been much higher. That's not a dig at the Scottish & their not being represented, but when they had their Independence Referendum they knew the EU Referendum was coming & that there was a good chance of the UK leaving the EU. They chose to remain, knowing that if they were to leave they would have to reapply to join the EU (if it even still existed by that time). Now it looks as if they're kicking for another Independence Referendum - in which case, if the decision does go for Independence, the majority to leave the EU will be much higher still.

My point is, though, that the bias of Parliamentary representatives is not reflective of the constituents which they are supposed to represent. As for our being able to vote them out? What's the point? They'll just call another vote if they don't like the result.
gmc

May loses Brexit ruling

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1502321 wrote: If the Scottish vote were disregarded the majority would have been much higher. That's not a dig at the Scottish & their not being represented, but when they had their Independence Referendum they knew the EU Referendum was coming & that there was a good chance of the UK leaving the EU. They chose to remain, knowing that if they were to leave they would have to reapply to join the EU (if it even still existed by that time). Now it looks as if they're kicking for another Independence Referendum - in which case, if the decision does go for Independence, the majority to leave the EU will be much higher still.

My point is, though, that the bias of Parliamentary representatives is not reflective of the constituents which they are supposed to represent. As for our being able to vote them out? What's the point? They'll just call another vote if they don't like the result.

When have they ever been representative our first past the post system is badly flawed and leaves MP's particularly on "safe" able to igniore the vast majority of the electorate and besides you seem to miss the point they are not delegates but representatives. We now have an unelected, authoritarian, populist right-wing Conservative Government, with a weak, divided Labour party offering no coherent opposition in england and it is now legitimate to talk about migrants in dehumanising terms and the racists and xenophobes have been gevin permission to let all their pent up frustration out and now we have the tabloid press calling for political interference in the judiciary and tyhe bbc to sack anyone who disagrees with them such as gary linneker. The Brexit vote has changed the political and economic landscape faster and more dramatically than anything in recent history and will result in higher unemployment, rising inflation, reduction in living standards and reduced citizen rights imo. Equally deopressing is the refusal top face up to the rreality of what a hard brexit would mean.

One effect of having PR for th scottish parliament has been to politicise people like never before now their vote does actually make a difference in 2014 the uk had a strong econmy and was part of the eu now it is not mant scots who voted to stay in the union will rethink their position in light of what is happening. As to the coming eu referendum no one expected a vote to leave least of all david cameron.

Return to “United Kingdom”