frack this

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

frack this

Post by gmc »

Fracking is not the answer to the question of how we power our nation | The Independent

Didn't take them long did it.

Theresa May: I'll use power of state to build fairer Britain

Well that lasted all of a fortnught didn't it.

Meanwhile in more advances areas of the UK

One of world's first kite-driven power stations to open in Scotland | The Independent

Incidentally they have decided to all but ban fracking here for which, since I am sitting in the middle of the industraial wasteland caused by the shale oil industry in the past, I am very pleased about.
magentaflame

frack this

Post by magentaflame »

Im still amazed when natural enemies come together (greenies and farmers) and form a force so great that governments run scared.

Thanks to. "Shut the gate" org. There will never be fracking in Victoria Australia EVER! Fracking is banned here

.........Woohoo! And thank god.

And yes, the companies threatened higher prices and running out of gas etc etc. It didnt work.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Momus

frack this

Post by Momus »

magentaflame;1501718 wrote: Im still amazed when natural enemies come together (greenies and farmers) and form a force so great that governments run scared.

What on earth are you talking about? Farmers and the Greens have always worked together for each other.

https://policy.greenparty.org.uk/fa.html

Report proposes payment model for green farming - WWT
magentaflame

frack this

Post by magentaflame »

Youre on ignore. Nastiness is a life choice for you. I dont have to invite it into mine. :)

But for everyone else....... farmers and greenies in Australia have clashed many times. And typically country areas usually national/liberal seats. In this instance though rural people and those normally criticizing them joined to stop the big energy companies from basically taking over their land.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Momus

frack this

Post by Momus »

magentaflame;1501728 wrote: Youre on ignore. Nastiness is a life choice for you. I dont have to invite it into mine. :)

But for everyone else....... farmers and greenies in Australia have clashed many times. And typically country areas usually national/liberal seats. In this instance though rural people and those normally criticizing them joined to stop the big energy companies from basically taking over their land.

He didn't post about Australia. He was posting about Britain.
tude dog

frack this

Post by tude dog »

The era of fossil fuel is now behind us.

Really and Kites are the in thing?

Go fly one and power your computer.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Momus

frack this

Post by Momus »

The benefits of shale gas in England are minimal. The damage is colossal.

https://www.nrdc.org/media/2016/160504
tude dog

frack this

Post by tude dog »

Momus;1501741 wrote: The benefits of shale gas in England are minimal. The damage is colossal.

https://www.nrdc.org/media/2016/160504

A little panicky there?

I was watching TV when,USGS: 5.6 magnitude earthquake shakes Oklahoma

I was maybe 300 miles away and barely felt it. 5.6 is a nice quake, being from California I have a clue.

I am not going to get too far into it but the shaken people are taking action to take care of this problem.

No panic.
Momus

frack this

Post by Momus »

tude dog;1501742 wrote: A little panicky there?

I am not going to get too far into it but the shaken people are taking action to take care of this problem.

No panic.

Panicky no. A sense of impending doom, brought about by the history and general trend for monumental balls ups by our government, yes.
gmc

frack this

Post by gmc »

Momus;1501731 wrote: He didn't post about Australia. He was posting about Britain.

Still germane though as this is a world wide issue. Just about all the problems in the middle east and the behaviour of the empires of the past and now also russia and america can be laid at the door of our need for oil without that nop one would care what happend in the arab states. Russia wants to build a pipeleine with turkey turkey wants to stop the kurds becoming indepemndent because they would mhave large oil fields america deposed a democratic government in iran because they wanted tio nationalise the oil companies and replaced it with the shah and ended uo with the prsent regime as consequence.

Who owns the resources under our feet and who gets to decide who gets the profits and whther the extraction goes ahead? Our laws in the UK about land and resource ownership are based on feudal law and at the heart of it is the belief the peasants don't get a say. Theresa may just made that clear.

posted by tude dog

The era of fossil fuel is now behind us.

Really and Kites are the in thing?

Go fly one and power your computer.

Mock away it's just another possible solution. In actuial fact it would provide enough or I could get one of those portable solar panels to charge my laptop and mobile phones.

There were two days last month when wind power alone provided all our energy needs hyfro electric is another option we already get 25% of our energy from that (I think would need to double check)

Solar power is probably a viable option for the US

U.S. set to smash solar power records this year | Computerworld

Why not get a few panels and cut your fuel bills?
tude dog

frack this

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1501745 wrote: Still germane though as this is a world wide issue. Just about all the problems in the middle east and the behaviour of the empires of the past and now also russia and america can be laid at the door of our need for oil without that nop one would care what happend in the arab states. Russia wants to build a pipeleine with turkey turkey wants to stop the kurds becoming indepemndent because they would mhave large oil fields america deposed a democratic government in iran because they wanted tio nationalise the oil companies and replaced it with the shah and ended uo with the prsent regime as consequence.

Who owns the resources under our feet and who gets to decide who gets the profits and whther the extraction goes ahead? Our laws in the UK about land and resource ownership are based on feudal law and at the heart of it is the belief the peasants don't get a say. Theresa may just made that clear.

posted by tude dog

Mock away it's just another possible solution. In actuial fact it would provide enough or I could get one of those portable solar panels to charge my laptop and mobile phones.

There were two days last month when wind power alone provided all our energy needs hyfro electric is another option we already get 25% of our energy from that (I think would need to double check)

Solar power is probably a viable option for the US

U.S. set to smash solar power records this year | Computerworld

Why not get a few panels and cut your fuel bills?

I have no problem with different sources of power. Fact is today the dreaded fossil fuels are the most affordable.

I welcome the day when that isn't the case.
gmc

frack this

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1501747 wrote: I have no problem with different sources of power. Fact is today the dreaded fossil fuels are the most affordable.

I welcome the day when that isn't the case.

That'll come son enough it is after all a finite resource that arguable have more important uses than just being burned for fuel.
FourPart

frack this

Post by FourPart »

Rather than working towards shale gas, it would make more sense to harvest the methane being generated by buried obsolete landfill sites. These occur across the country & make the sites unable to build on for that very reason - although it does have the positive advantage that these areas (such as the patch outside my place, which was previously a landfill) are designated as wildlife conservation areas. Then there are the massive resources of cattle dung. Many farmer actually make use of this resource to heat their cowsheds - just from the heat generated, without even making use of it as a fuel. A lot of sewage farms actually process the waste into brickettes which are sold as solid fuel for domestic heating. There are so many different possibilities for recycling what we already have instead of researching ways to ruin & destroy the resources that are already very short in supply.

Return to “United Kingdom”