referendum result ‘not legally binding

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Brexit: Letter saying EU referendum result ‘not legally binding’ signed by 1000 lawyers | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Brexit: Letter saying EU referendum result ‘not legally binding’ signed by 1000 lawyers

David Lammy, the MP for Tottenham and former Higher Education and Skills Minister, told The Independent: "In our democracy parliament is sovereign - we do not have government by referenda or plebiscite.

Parliament is sovereign. One of the things I find depressing about all this is the number of people who do not understand our political system. I'm fed up with brexit supporters telling us we should just accept it and stop objecting that is not the way democracy works that's why we have her majesty's opposition. Something so important should not be decided on such a narrow margin in a very flawed process. We need another general election before anything is finally decided.

I didn't think we were as bad as the states for conspiracy theories but we do have them.

:-5:-5:-5
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Why complain now, after the vote ?

Didn't Cameron get legal advice before he set the whole sorry thing in motion ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Theresa May, or Theresa may not respect the country's vote to leave EU. As she voted to REMAIN, I think she will find it difficult to keep loyal to the country's vote of Brexit, even though she has just insisted that Brexit is Brexit ! What the heck is this flippn' 'legal' rant ?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

If they decide to go against the majority decision, then what reason could they give for a 2nd Referendum when the outcome of the first one was predetermined, regardless of the result?
gmc

Post by gmc »

G#Gill;1498476 wrote: Theresa May, or Theresa may not respect the country's vote to leave EU. As she voted to REMAIN, I think she will find it difficult to keep loyal to the country's vote of Brexit, even though she has just insisted that Brexit is Brexit ! What the heck is this flippn' 'legal' rant ?

It's quite clear read what they are saying. The referendum is not legally binding un less an act of parliament had made iut so. How many times to people have to have oit political systen explained to them.

Now we have a primwe minister no one vited for leadinfg a oaty most people voted against and brexiteers talk about claiming back our democracy!

posted by four part

If they decide to go against the majority decision, then what reason could they give for a 2nd Referendum when the outcome of the first one was predetermined, regardless of the result?

How about maybe by now many of those who voted to leave as a way of protest might want to re-think their decision once the reality of what it means sinks in. How about even the thickest might begin to realise that the leave side were lying and that far from more being spent on the NHS it is about to be privatised, immigration isn't going to be cut (we could have cut immigratiuon from outside the eu at any time we wanted), All the health and safety reguklations and employment protection laws are about to go by the board - welcome the £1 an hour days once again looks like we're getting trident though rule britannia all fur coat and no knickers. fascist britain here we come (therea may was the one who wanted to do away with habeas corpus and the human rights act)
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1498577 wrote: How about maybe by now many of those who voted to leave as a way of protest might want to re-think their decision once the reality of what it means sinks in. How about even the thickest might begin to realise that the leave side were lying and that far from more being spent on the NHS it is about to be privatised, immigration isn't going to be cut (we could have cut immigratiuon from outside the eu at any time we wanted), All the health and safety reguklations and employment protection laws are about to go by the board - welcome the £1 an hour days once again looks like we're getting trident though rule britannia all fur coat and no knickers. fascist britain here we come (therea may was the one who wanted to do away with habeas corpus and the human rights act)
That is so patronising. It goes beyond implication that the majority of voters don't know their own minds, or didn't have time enough to consider the facts. It was NOT a vote against the Government, as ALL sides of the House were campaigning for Remain. If it had been a Party Political thing, things might have been different still. Personally I voted Leave, and that had nothing to do with Party Politics. I am Labour but went against the Party Policy because I had formed my own opinions based on what I had seen of the continual downward spiral of the EU & it's steady development by stealth into a central United States of Europe. I took no notice of all the Propaganda being bandied about, as it was all made up of 'May Bes' and 'Could Bes' without a shred of evidence. To say that anyone who voted without knowing what they were voting is quite simply insulting.

As for the referendum not being legally binding - technically it's not, but the Genie has been let out of the bottle now, and there's no going back. Besides, I bet if the result had gone the other way, with the same majority, THAT would have been seen as legally binding.
gmc

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1498623 wrote: That is so patronising. It goes beyond implication that the majority of voters don't know their own minds, or didn't have time enough to consider the facts. It was NOT a vote against the Government, as ALL sides of the House were campaigning for Remain. If it had been a Party Political thing, things might have been different still. Personally I voted Leave, and that had nothing to do with Party Politics. I am Labour but went against the Party Policy because I had formed my own opinions based on what I had seen of the continual downward spiral of the EU & it's steady development by stealth into a central United States of Europe. I took no notice of all the Propaganda being bandied about, as it was all made up of 'May Bes' and 'Could Bes' without a shred of evidence. To say that anyone who voted without knowing what they were voting is quite simply insulting.

As for the referendum not being legally binding - technically it's not, but the Genie has been let out of the bottle now, and there's no going back. Besides, I bet if the result had gone the other way, with the same majority, THAT would have been seen as legally binding.

Never say never referenda have nevr been a feature of british politics until recently and this referendum was cameron trying to shut up the right wing of how own party and nothing whatsoever to do with the eu. Maintain the status uo should have ben the default position. In the first scottuish indeoendence referendum labour opassed an amendment that over 50% of the voters had to suppoprt it or it wouldn't be binding, cameron should have done the same.

The number of people I know who voted leave and the main issue is immigration is unreal, most of them have no idea what we get from the eu and what we are about to lose. Plus the bulk of the immigration people are worried about is not from the eu and it's too late to send them all back. I'd agree with you there was a lot wrong withn the eu but the real complaint people have is with our own governments and voting leave won't sort them out. In fact it's about to get a whole lot worse. It wasn't the eu that closed all our industry and sold off unfrastructure tio foreign comopanies and tyhe won't be th eu that privatises the NHS You can kiss goodbye to the city of london as a banking centre, most of the high tech research is eu funded and in cooperation with european universities most of the regional development has been carried out with eu funding - we were net gainers to begin with. Was it may or leadson that asked was climate warning for real - must be may she just wiped out the climate change department, hello fracking sod the long term consequences you might be happy with a fascist government hopefully most people are not.

I don't care if you find it patronising what is poatronisimng is the notion that we will get back control its ludicrous our politicians don't listen and still won't. We now have a new prime minister that nobody voted for tell me how that is democracy in action. The one good thing about is is the more thersa may tells us (the scots) we can't have a second referendum the more liklely we will do and this time vote yes. She really doesn't get it none of the tories do scotland really is a nation in it's own right if we want indpendence we will have it.

None of the eu nationals living here have a right to stay the UK she's already threatyeniong to use that as a bargaining chip youi know
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

gmc always knows better. It's damn right patronising. As far as referendums are concerned. Tony Benn was in favour of one and was a leaver. When I'm off my phone, I'll pay the video
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Post by gmc »

Snowfire;1498625 wrote: gmc always knows better. It's damn right patronising. As far as referendums are concerned. Tony Benn was in favour of one and was a leaver. When I'm off my phone, I'll pay the video

This is a discussion forum I'm expressing my opinion and I disagree vehmently with the brexit side if you find that patronising it's not really my problem.

I'll see your tony benn and raise you winston churchill he was in favour.

I've a lot of time and respect for tony benn but I don't agree with him on everything.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

gmc;1498635 wrote: This is a discussion forum I'm expressing my opinion and I disagree vehmently with the brexit side if you find that patronising it's not really my problem.

I'll see your tony benn and raise you winston churchill he was in favour.

I've a lot of time and respect for tony benn but I don't agree with him on everything.

It's not your views on Remaining that I have an issue with. It's your attitude toward those of us that chose to vote differently to you, like we didn't know what we were doing, we are clearly not able to understand the politics and nuances of parliament and what is and what isn't appropriate and most of us are clearly doing it for the wrong reasons.

What my gripe is, is that there wasn't a single voice against a referendum here and as far as I'm aware, anywhere in the media. Why, people didn't object before hand, then start complaining that it was unconstitutional and not how our democracy works. Why when people don't like the result do they want another vote. They wouldn't have complained if the result had been the other way...would they have agreed to another then....how many referendums do we have until the remainers are satisfied with the result ?

Tony Benn....

"Members of Parliament are lent the powers of their constituents and they have to return those powers undiminished. It's not for members of Parliament to "give away" the powers that were lent to them because they don't belong to MPs, they belong to the electorate

Dennis Skinner....

As far as Winston Churchill is concerned, that's a non-starter. He is part of our history and commentated on times as they were then. He died in 1965 He didn't experience any part of firstly the Common market and more importantly, the EU as it stands today

So when you ask why on Earth would someone vote Leave, Tony Benn and Dennis Skinner are two reasons. We aint all flag waving racist Little Englanders.

Why should you worry gmc ? Nicola Sturgeon is going to take you to paradise.

Winston Churchill
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's not your views on Remaining that I have an issue with. It's your attitude toward those of us that chose to vote differently to you, like we didn't know what we were doing, we are clearly not able to understand the politics and nuances of parliament and what is and what isn't appropriate and most of us are clearly doing it for the wrong reasons.

I think you are wrong I'm sorry you find that patronising but it seems rather hard to find a way of saying I don't agree with you and think you are wrong that you don't find patronising. But as I've already said that's not my problem. If all you can come up with is you're being patronising I am not imporessed by your arguments.

What I would find patronising is the suck it up attitide from the leave side. There were in fact plenty of voices against a referendum and certainly against it being binding but you have to look beyond the daily mail to have heard them. Our electoral system landed us with a tory government that most people voted against that system is the real problem with this country not the EU.

Why should you worry gmc ? Nicola Sturgeon is going to take you to paradise.

WEell at least we won't be threatening to turf out all the foreigners. Wonder if Theresa will have the nerve to send back all the r peoples from the former colonies.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

You yourself didn't object to the referendum. There were no dissenting voices for constitutional reasons. Everyone was up for it right up until the result

So Tony Benn and Dennis Skinner's views account for nothing ? Shame I always looked to people of that ilk in the past for guidance. Apart from Jeremy Corbyn, who's who's fight for remain was pretty half-hearted, the rest don't have much to say to me, all the while they want to protect Blair over proper politics

Dismissing a leave vote so arrogantly, as though their votes count for nothing - the usual narrative...racism, not really knowing what they were voting for, not doing any research - is plain wrong.

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am the voice of reason.........................how arrogant is that ?

The referendum headline campaigns were (whether you like it or not) not very factual, in as much as the results for a brexit vote weren't known, as no one could realistically predict all the different implications for an out vote, so most were conjecture.

The remain campaign focused on.....not a lot......no really convincing argument was put forward, other than knocking the claims of the brexit campaign.

No one sold the regeneration of former industrialised northern areas with EU funding, or the return of our EU subscription on many and various schemes throughout the UK.

No one mentioned (as far as I can remember) the workers rights enshrined in EU policy. Nobody made the distinction between EU and non EU immigrants. Nobody explained ALL those EU laws were about food additives, food labeling...etc..etc.....that were shifted from UK legislative procedure into EU.....as if THEY were imposing something unrealistically undemocratically......we joined the club......we affect the rules......our voice amongst others.......just like domestic politics.

Seen on FB .......

So.....I am living under a Tory government I didn't vote for, undergoing a Brexit I didn't vote for, now overseen by a PM nobody voted for.OK thats Democracy. But the man I DID vote for.....the unelectable one that was overwhelmingly elected.....I have to vote for again, because those I didn't vote for don't like him. And they have decided I have to pay more money for the right to do so again.

Kind of says it all to me, so many concerned up about who is speaking for little me......when really we can only ever speak for ourselves periodically at election time.

I am almost with gmc on this, I too think many voted for domestic policies, totally unrelated to the EU.

I am watching with interest how they get out of this one.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It is not that fact that anyone has a different opinion to me that I object to. I respect that. I also accept that anyone who holds that opinion knows their own mind. I may not agree with it, but the whole point of living in a Democracy is that everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. What I find objectionable is saying that those who didn't agree with you simply didn't know what they were doing is what is insulting. It was a Democratic decision, and the majority decision was to leave. I am not claiming that if the Remain voters knew what they were doing that the majority would have been greater - although I believe if the Parliamentary representation were more balanced & representative of the Public Opinion, then the majority certainly would have been much greater, of that I have no doubt.

As for the actual campaigning - well, that was an utter disgrace, from all sides of the argument. Every argument being made was based on second guessing & scaremongering on circumstances that are totally unknown. They still are. As soon as the results started coming in the value of the Pound nosedived - that was expected, but in less than a week it was on the way back up again as things began to stabilise. Companies that have been paying no tax have been pulling out. No great loss. I have just got a job with Utilita. I asked at the interview how the Brexit situation would affect the business. I was told that it would be favourable, as it's a U.K. company, and they would now be on a level playing ground, as opposed to being in competition with French companies who were being unfairly subsidised.

Of course there are Pros & Cons to Leaving or Remaining. I just believe that the Pros for Leaving greatly outweigh the Cons. Thatopinion is based on my OWN mind. I totally detached myself from all the campaigning. I was Pro Brexit then. I remain Pro Brexit now.

As far as the reason for the referendum was concerned, Cameron never really wanted one, but he could see the growing unrest against the EU & he made the promise of a Referendum as part of his Election Campaign. It was essentially a Bribe for Votes - and it worked. I said at the time that Labour should have supported it & set up a date for the referendum before the election, so as to nullify the Bribe edge that the Tories had. I know of quite a few who were on the fence between Tory & Labour who were swayed by the promise of the Referendum (although I must admit that I was surprised that he kept that promise, after so many others were blatantly broken). It helped win him the election. Plain & Simple.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

This should clear it up for everybody....

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

We might have brexit.......you have Trump, we win.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Bruv;1498679 wrote: We might have brexit.......you have Trump, we win.

Ouch. That stings. Stop that.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1498685 wrote: Ouch. That stings. Stop that.

You started it.................that's always the case though......so nothing new there.

Return to “United Kingdom”