ads on gumtree

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

ads on gumtree

Post by gmc »

Trying tio sell a caravan never used gumtree before only response is fron=m some I think is a scammer - asking for paypal details and address for pickup. Never used paypal and don't intend to now anyone else had experiance of this? I think I'm right to be wary apart from anything else who would buy a caravan without wanting to see it first.
LarsMac

ads on gumtree

Post by LarsMac »

Paypal, itself is not bad, but most legitimate Paypal users know that you just send the money from your paypal account to the receiver's email.

Anyone asking those sorts of questions is 98.9% likely to be a scammer.

I've been shopping for an RV on our area Craigslist. There are all sorts of ways to scam folks buying or selling on these kinds of sites.

I have contacted several sellers, asking for location and contact info to view the unit, only to have them reply with a load of photos (containing any number of virus/Trojans/who knows what) and telling me it is all packaged up, ready to ship. All I have to do is give them my address, and Paypal info.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

ads on gumtree

Post by FourPart »

I can pretty much guarantee you that the next step will be that they will tell you that they're having problems with the person making the collection, and getting the payment for shipment cleared. They will then reassure you that they will add the cost of the shipping to the purchase price, paid up front. You will then get a PayPal receipt, "Pending Confirmation From Western Union".

Needless to say, if you look at the wording of the PayPal receipt it will have quite a few grammatical errors, as well as being from a non-PayPal origin.

Remember, if you ever have any concerns as to whether or not anything is legit, give PayPal a call - from their OWN website - not from the link you get given.

Someone tried this on me when I sold Marcus - said he was serving on an overseas posting with the Army & wanted a bike while he was at home on leave.
gmc

ads on gumtree

Post by gmc »

Just told the guy to get lost.

bit from his e-mail

I work with the military

air-force and presently in camp serving the nation which is strictly

no calls.

Clearly not in the UK or indeed british

Return to “United Kingdom”