Why did police pick on me

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Hooray at last. Must have been fairly extreme for the police to bother.

Driver who was first in UK convicted of being a 'middle lane hogger' speaks out | Daily Mail Online

Re the video - you notice the guy is moving back in alongside a lorry joining the motorway and the car behind might decide to just shoot out past the lorry - I think I would have stayed out till I passed the lorry
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

gmc;1481128 wrote: Hooray at last. Must have been fairly extreme for the police to bother.

Driver who was first in UK convicted of being a 'middle lane hogger' speaks out | Daily Mail Online

Re the video - you notice the guy is moving back in alongside a lorry joining the motorway and the car behind might decide to just shoot out past the lorry - I think I would have stayed out till I passed the lorry

Yeah, me too, Bruv! What's the point in moving to the inside lane, only to move out to the middle again in a few seconds? Surely the extra lane change near a junction is unnecessary and potentially risks a totally avoidable collision, with a heavy lorry to boot! As I said on another thread, CPS and Police are running out of control...
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

One can unnerve these middle-lane toerags by sounding one's horn from behind them. The sound of a horn on a motorway usually wakes up the prat it's directed at, and it does what the Highway Code says it's for - alerting an inattentive driver to one's presence. If everyone did it there would be less lane-hogging. It works on dual carriageways too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

spot;1481131 wrote: One can unnerve these middle-lane toerags by sounding one's horn from behind them. The sound of a horn on a motorway usually wakes up the prat it's directed at, and it does what the Highway Code says it's for - alerting an inattentive driver to one's presence. If everyone did it there would be less lane-hogging. It works on dual carriageways too.

Exactly. I tend to switch the headlights on when this occurs (I don't flash them). If that fails to alert the driver to my presence, a quick toot often does the trick! I do understand this driver's frustration with the Police (and their shiny new power). I've been driving for 31 years now, and I wouldn't have moved to the inside lane just prior to a junction, especially with a lorry emerging followed by a car, who is probably looking to overtake that lorry! A needless manoeuver and risk. Leave the inside lane CLEAR at motorway/carriageway junctions so that traffic can emerge SAFELY.

THIS SHOULD BE LAW AT MOTORWAY/CARRIAGEWAY ENTRY SLIP-ROADS!!

It's a totally different ball-game to someone travelling for mile after mile no/little faster than the inside lane. That DOES block traffic flow, causing gaps to shrink between vehicles, and a danger of a "pile-up" due to "concertina" effect if someone in front hits the brakes!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

There were occasions in my youth when, approaching a middle-lane hog dawdling down a motorway, I'd wait for someone to overtake him and go through on the inside lane at the same moment. They rarely stayed in the middle lane afterwards, at least until their buttocks unclenched. I particularly disapprove of drivers hogging the middle lane.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Smaug;1481129 wrote: Yeah, me too, Bruv!

No not me mush,never driven in my life, I am green, especially my teeth.

But I do constantly whine when being chauffeured on a motorway when they travel in the middle lane.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Posted by smaug

Exactly. I tend to switch the headlights on when this occurs (I don't flash them). If that fails to alert the driver to my presence, a quick toot often does the trick! I do understand this driver's frustration with the Police (and their shiny new power). I've been driving for 31 years now, and I wouldn't have moved to the inside lane just prior to a junction, especially with a lorry emerging followed by a car, who is probably looking to overtake that lorry! A needless manoeuver and risk. Leave the inside lane CLEAR at motorway/carriageway junctions so that traffic can emerge SAFELY.

THIS SHOULD BE LAW AT MOTORWAY/CARRIAGEWAY ENTRY SLIP-ROADS!!

No it shouldn't. It would cause chaos traffic alrerady on the motorway has to have priority. Too many drivers think they have a ight to join a motorway just because they are indicating.

Try reading the highway code.

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273 ... torway-259

3. Joining the motorway (259)

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should:

give priority to traffic already on the motorway

check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder

stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway

remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

I'd have kept out partly our of courtesy to let the lorry out rather than force him to brake but mainly because I have had too many near misses with stupid idiots (I would be more concerned about the car driver lorry drivers tend to be more aware of what is going on around them but from the video it looked like he was pulliong in to the lorry's blind spot) that think they can just join the motorway or dual carriageway because they are indicating and expect others to give way to them.

Driving thirty one years is no excuse for not knowing the basics of motorway driving.

My other pet hate is people ho pull out to overtake without regard for the speed of the traffic already in the outside lane coming up behind forcing them to either brake if on a dual carriageway or pull out to the outside lane. I find a lot of people think just putting on an indicator somehow gives them right of way.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I saw this article another paper's site earlier today (Telegraph, I think it was), and on there he was claiming that he was being victimised because of his being a White Van Man.

I notice that nearly all of this has been reported from the driver's perspective. I can't help feeling that if if it was as straightforward as he's making it out there's no way it would have resulted in a prosecution anywhere near as severe as that. This article in the Express gives a little more information as to the circumstances:

First driver to be convicted of 'hogging the middle lane' on motorway | UK | News | Daily Express

The driver of the van failed to attend court but was given five penalty points and ordered to pay a 500 fine, 400 in costs and a 40 victim surcharge in his absence.

I'm not sure if that also meant that he was fined extra for failing to attend court or not, but it shows that he was, in fact, only fined £500 - not atypical of other road offences.
gmc

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1481157 wrote: I saw this article another paper's site earlier today (Telegraph, I think it was), and on there he was claiming that he was being victimised because of his being a White Van Man.

I notice that nearly all of this has been reported from the driver's perspective. I can't help feeling that if if it was as straightforward as he's making it out there's no way it would have resulted in a prosecution anywhere near as severe as that. This article in the Express gives a little more information as to the circumstances:

First driver to be convicted of 'hogging the middle lane' on motorway | UK | News | Daily Express

I'm not sure if that also meant that he was fined extra for failing to attend court or not, but it shows that he was, in fact, only fined £500 - not atypical of other road offences.

He refused the on the spot fine and insisted on goping to court and then didn't bother attending.

from the article in the first post.

Officers have the power to hand out a £90 spot fine and three penalty points to motorists caught middle-lane hogging, tailgating or using the wrong lane on a roundabout.

Drivers who accept the sanction avoid court action – an option not taken by Mr Stephens.

He's an idiot.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I very nearly swung in here to say that actually people joining the motorway/dual carriageway are supposed to adjust their speed to suit the road they are joining. If I am able to pull out and allow them to join the road I will, but if there is no room for me to do so then tough, they must adjust their speed accordingly. The amount of people that get irate with you for not moving out of their way is incredible. They all need to go back and re learn the highway code!

I watched that video, and I wouldn't have pulled back into the inside lane with that lorry looking to join. Out of courtesy I would have stayed out there and pulled in once I'd got past him.

The bloke appears to be an idiot, serves him right, he should have accepted the on the spot fine instead of refusing and choosing court then not turning up :rolleyes:

Return to “United Kingdom”