What do you think

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

What do you think

Post by gmc »

Labour seen as party of benefit claimants by middle class voters | Daily Mail Online

OK I read tha daily mail on line I admit it.

I don;t get this, labour was wipe out in scotland oprecisely because they are seen as no longer standing up for ordinary people. Things like the pfi contracts the iraq war started losing them votes - though goodness knows why gordon brown ever got re-elected

When asked, which groups they perceived to be the main focus of the Labour party, the top choices were those on low incomes and trade unionists. This is despite the fact that this group identified Labour values, which they associated with ‘equality, fairness and family’ as closest to their values.

Asked who the Tories represented their top two answers were rich people and business people. The voters associated the Conservatives with entrepreneurship, followed by tradition, hard work and ambition. The answers were taken from YouGov polls of nearly 3,000 people – of which around half were in this group of middle class voters.

Most people don't vote because it seems to make little difference. In Scotland right the electorate is politicised as never before because with PR it does make a difference

turnout at the last election was five per cent higher in Scotland than in the rest of the UK and seeing the reaction (panic at the masses actually not doing what is expected of them) from the westminster parties and then the usual breaking of promioses people have had enough. Labour are tarred with the same brush as the tories, out of touch and serving the interets of an elite. I dont see how being more tory can win labour more votes in england, anti-aisteriry and let's jail all the bankers might. Or do the engblish really buy the message that our malaise is due to benefit scroungers, immigration, europe and the human rights act. You can't all be numpties.
Bruv

What do you think

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1480662 wrote: You can't all be numpties.

No................just the voting majority.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

What do you think

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1480663 wrote: No................just the voting majority.

That's the daft thing about it all - our electoral systen I mean - the vast majority of the voters actually voted against the tories but we're stuck with them yet again.
Bruv

What do you think

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1480667 wrote: That's the daft thing about it all - our electoral systen I mean - the vast majority of the voters actually voted against the tories but we're stuck with them yet again.

And when we get the chance to change the voting system we bottle it.........there is no help for us.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

What do you think

Post by FourPart »

We were given the chance in 2011 when there was a referendum held on the matter & it was an overwhelming No to the Alternative Voting (PR) System. Whether you're for it or against it, whatever system is used you can't call 'foul' when it doesn't do what you want it to.

(edit: although not technically PR it is more proportional than FPTP)
gmc

What do you think

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1480672 wrote: We were given the chance in 2011 when there was a referendum held on the matter & it was an overwhelming No to the Alternative Voting (PR) System. Whether you're for it or against it, whatever system is used you can't call 'foul' when it doesn't do what you want it to.

(edit: although not technically PR it is more proportional than FPTP)

I blame the liberals for that failure imo thbey shpuld have madew it a condition of going in to a coalition and the first act of the new parliament. What made it weorse was they made the PR option a not very good confusing one one and didn't allow proper rtime foir the case to be put. In short they were shafted by the tories and their supporters knew it which is why they will shortly cease to exist as a political party. Who needs strong government when it's one most people heartily oppose.
FourPart

What do you think

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1480674 wrote: I blame the liberals for that failure imo thbey shpuld have madew it a condition of going in to a coalition and the first act of the new parliament. What made it weorse was they made the PR option a not very good confusing one one and didn't allow proper rtime foir the case to be put. In short they were shafted by the tories and their supporters knew it which is why they will shortly cease to exist as a political party. Who needs strong government when it's one most people heartily oppose.
They made all sorts of conditions about going into a coalition - such as their primary campaign, to stop any increase in VAT & to revert it back to its previous rate. What was the first thing they did? Ratified the increase in VAT. Little wonder they've now been destroyed as a realistic political party.
Smaug

What do you think

Post by Smaug »

The Liberals have been decimated because of their "sell-soul" attitude, IMO. It's a shame though, as political diversity is healthy, and to be encouraged!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
gmc

What do you think

Post by gmc »

I think labour in england as a viable opposition party to the tories is on a downhill trend. Labour in scotland have had it unless the rest of the party get their heads round why they lost so badly in scotland.

‘Labour Scotland’ should be open to full fiscal autonomy, says deputy leadership candidate Alex Rowley | Politics | The National

Dugdale said: “Politics in Scotland has changed fundamentally and the Scottish Labour Party have only one chance to get it right. But this leadership election isn’t just about transforming Scottish Labour, it is about stepping up and regaining the trust of the people of Scotland.”

The scale of the challenge facing Labour in Scotland was also reflected in membership figures obtained by the New Statesman. The magazine reported yesterday that the party had around13,000 members north of the Border, about a tenth the size of the SNP membership.

Might not even get a mention in the mainstream media - trust me it does in scotland - and this is about one of the biggest constitutional issues this century.

Unionist parties unite to deny Scotland full fiscal autonomy | News | The National

Tell you what labour mocking the snp is not gaining them any converts. It's childish and dodges the issue.

Return to “United Kingdom”