A Shot In The Foot?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Bryn Mawr

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Today our glorious leader refused to rule out a coalition with UKIP after this year's election.

Does anyone else see this as an invitation for people to vote UKIP to force such an eventuality?

As I see it, a lot of people would stick to the main parties (as usual) in the General Election seeing a vote for UKIP as detracting from their (maybe) less favoured but more likely to be elected Conservative candidate. By leaving the door open to a coalition I can see many of those voters turning to UKIP as a single issue vote expecting the Conservatives to take the lead in other policies.

What think the panel?
Oscar Namechange

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I think UKIP will make gains but don't believe It will ever be as far as Farage envisages.

I don't believe, he will even see enough gains to even think of a coalition.

I see gains to Labour but not enough, again for an outright majority or coalition.

I see UKIP as disrupting the vote but not enough. I used to predict a landslide to Labour but have changed my mind over the past year, I predict a narrow majority to the Tories.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oscar Namechange;1470789 wrote: I think UKIP will make gains but don't believe It will ever be as far as Farage envisages.

I don't believe, he will even see enough gains to even think of a coalition.

I see gains to Labour but not enough, again for an outright majority or coalition.

I see UKIP as disrupting the vote but not enough. I used to predict a landslide to Labour but have changed my mind over the past year, I predict a narrow majority to the Tories.

In the normal run of events I would totally agree with you, and if David Cameron agreed then he would dismiss talk of a coalition out of hand, but this suggests that he fears otherwise and, IMHO, makes it more likely that UKIP will make bigger gains than they deserve.
Oscar Namechange

A Shot In The Foot?

Bryn Mawr;1470791 wrote: In the normal run of events I would totally agree with you, and if David Cameron agreed then he would dismiss talk of a coalition out of hand, but this suggests that he fears otherwise and, IMHO, makes it more likely that UKIP will make bigger gains than they deserve.

I agree with you. In normal circumstances, Cameron would be talking of an outright majority but I feel, he's either being badly advised right now or he's hedging his bets. Either way, It can't give the Tory supporters much confidence to see him so nervous.

The electorate tends to act differently In Council, By and EU elections to that of a General.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by FourPart »

I still reckon that if both the main parties were to agree to hold an In / Out EU referendum & set that in stone before the election, then UKIP, mainly being a single policy party would lose the majority of their support. As I see it, it is this single policy that has given them so much support thus far. I just don't understand how the other parties don't recognise this. If they are so sure that the majority of the electorate wants to remain a part of Europe, then what would they have to lose by putting it to the public for a democratic decision?

As things are, I don't think there is much positive support for anyone, other than UKIP. Cameron has become despised by his cuts to those who can least afford it in order to give backhanders to his buddies who already have more than they know what to do with, and regardless of Party Politics, Ed Milliband is totally lacking in character & personality, which may seem shallow, but like it or not, public image plays a great deal when it comes to the Ballot Box. It wouldn't surprise me that if a general poll were made as to what the names of the party leaders were, Milliband would rank pretty low. As for the Liberals - well, they're probably finished ever since they reneged on their promises last time & went hand in hand with the Tories like little puppies. The public won't forget that in a hurry.

As things stand at the moment I see Labour in with a chance, but only with a small majority, and much of that will be down to votes that have switched to UKIP, now that they have demonstrated themselves to be a genuine runner, and quite likely to be the 3rd party in the next Parliament - if not the 2nd, although the UKIP vote gains are probably meted out pretty equally from the other leading parties, so the effect on them will pretty much cancel each other out.

It's now too late for Cameron to make any last ditch token gestures, as everyone's wise to him & his lies by now, so I doubt much will change between now & May - although the results of any potential By-Elections in the meantime will be interesting to see (not counting Council Elections, as they're on a different scale).
Oscar Namechange

A Shot In The Foot?

UKIP are not and never have been a single policy Party. The withdrawal from the EU, the Immigration Issue and the reInstatement of the death penalty are some of many.
gmc

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by gmc »

Was watching sky news about marginal seats - what they overlook is the likelihood that labour will face a catastrophic election result in scotland. IF UKIP end up keeping the tories in power and scotland has no tory or UKIP MP's (which is almost certainly going to be the case) you will see the whole referendum issue come raoringh back in all over again.

I think history will look back and blame cameron for the break up of the union.
Bryn Mawr

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1470798 wrote: I still reckon that if both the main parties were to agree to hold an In / Out EU referendum & set that in stone before the election, then UKIP, mainly being a single policy party would lose the majority of their support. As I see it, it is this single policy that has given them so much support thus far. I just don't understand how the other parties don't recognise this. If they are so sure that the majority of the electorate wants to remain a part of Europe, then what would they have to lose by putting it to the public for a democratic decision?

As things are, I don't think there is much positive support for anyone, other than UKIP. Cameron has become despised by his cuts to those who can least afford it in order to give backhanders to his buddies who already have more than they know what to do with, and regardless of Party Politics, Ed Milliband is totally lacking in character & personality, which may seem shallow, but like it or not, public image plays a great deal when it comes to the Ballot Box. It wouldn't surprise me that if a general poll were made as to what the names of the party leaders were, Milliband would rank pretty low. As for the Liberals - well, they're probably finished ever since they reneged on their promises last time & went hand in hand with the Tories like little puppies. The public won't forget that in a hurry.

As things stand at the moment I see Labour in with a chance, but only with a small majority, and much of that will be down to votes that have switched to UKIP, now that they have demonstrated themselves to be a genuine runner, and quite likely to be the 3rd party in the next Parliament - if not the 2nd, although the UKIP vote gains are probably meted out pretty equally from the other leading parties, so the effect on them will pretty much cancel each other out.

It's now too late for Cameron to make any last ditch token gestures, as everyone's wise to him & his lies by now, so I doubt much will change between now & May - although the results of any potential By-Elections in the meantime will be interesting to see (not counting Council Elections, as they're on a different scale).

Totally agree :-)
Bryn Mawr

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1470817 wrote: Was watching sky news about marginal seats - what they overlook is the likelihood that labour will face a catastrophic election result in scotland. IF UKIP end up keeping the tories in power and scotland has no tory or UKIP MP's (which is almost certainly going to be the case) you will see the whole referendum issue come raoringh back in all over again.

I think history will look back and blame cameron for the break up of the union.

Sadly, I do keep forgetting the situation in Scotland and, yes, a decimation of the Labour vote would stop them cold in Westminster.

Looks like it will be an interesting election for a change but that probably means that we can expect the department of dirty tricks to be working overtime.
gmc

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1470821 wrote: Sadly, I do keep forgetting the situation in Scotland and, yes, a decimation of the Labour vote would stop them cold in Westminster.

Looks like it will be an interesting election for a change but that probably means that we can expect the department of dirty tricks to be working overtime.

There's also the possibilty that the SNP will have more seats than UKIP add in the welsh and northern irish and things get interesting. The lib dems I think are finished as a political force at least in the short term they've pissed off their core support by going in to coalition with the tories. I will not be voting for them ever again.
Bryn Mawr

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1470919 wrote: There's also the possibilty that the SNP will have more seats than UKIP add in the welsh and northern irish and things get interesting. The lib dems I think are finished as a political force at least in the short term they've pissed off their core support by going in to coalition with the tories. I will not be voting for them ever again.

Neither you nor a hell of a lot of other voters, many of them long term LibDems.
Oscar Namechange

A Shot In The Foot?

Bryn Mawr;1470921 wrote: Neither you nor a hell of a lot of other voters, many of them long term LibDems. That's why I believe Labour will make gains In England but not Scotland. I think the Lib Dem voters will be going Labour's way.
gmc

A Shot In The Foot?

Post by gmc »

Oscar Namechange;1470974 wrote: That's why I believe Labour will make gains In England but not Scotland. I think the Lib Dem voters will be going Labour's way.

No I think they are so pissed off they will not bother voting. Turnout will be high in scotland and abbysmal in england
Oscar Namechange

A Shot In The Foot?

gmc;1471047 wrote: No I think they are so pissed off they will not bother voting. Turnout will be high in scotland and abbysmal in england I disagree. I believe that May will be the one defining election where turnout will be high. The masses are fed up.

Return to “United Kingdom”