cheeky bastards

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

cheeky bastards

Post by gmc »

Union Jack to go on British driving licences | Daily Mail Online

The eu flag is on it because it can be used throughout europe it's that simple.

But the final go-ahead was postponed until after the referendum on Scottish independence.

Well there's a cynical surprise if ever there was one. Why change it at all when they know full well it will be controversial.

SNP membership now makes it the third largest polical party in the UK -not just scotland where it has more members than the rest of them combined.
Oscar Namechange

cheeky bastards

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Maybe the possibility that come May, we may not be part of the EU ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

cheeky bastards

Post by FourPart »

Ironic isn't it that a publication as Far Right British, such as the Daily Fail should name our own National Flag so incorrectly. It's the Union FLAG. It's only a Union Jack when flying on the Jack Staff of a ship.
Oscar Namechange

cheeky bastards

FourPart;1470633 wrote: Ironic isn't it that a publication as Far Right British, such as the Daily Fail should name our own National Flag so incorrectly. It's the Union FLAG. It's only a Union Jack when flying on the Jack Staff of a ship.
Only up to 1801
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

cheeky bastards

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1470628 wrote: Union Jack to go on British driving licences | Daily Mail Online

The eu flag is on it because it can be used throughout europe it's that simple.

Well there's a cynical surprise if ever there was one. Why change it at all when they know full well it will be controversial.

SNP membership now makes it the third largest polical party in the UK -not just scotland where it has more members than the rest of them combined.

Oh come on, have you turned into another loony toon jock ?

It's a UK driving licence adorned with a UK and EU flag, for driving throughout the UK and EU.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

cheeky bastards

Post by FourPart »

The Wikipedia page on the matter (Union Jack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) goes into quite some depth, including the following paragraph:

More recently, Reed's Nautical Alamanc unambiguously states: "The Union Flag, frequently but incorrectly referred to as the Union Jack, ..." and later: "8. The Jack – A small flag worn on a jackstaff on the stem of Naval Vessels. The Royal Navy wears the Union Flag ... This is the only occasion when it correct to describe the flag as the Union Jack".[19]

Although it also states:

The claim that the term "Union Jack" properly refers only to naval usage has been disputed, following historical investigations by the Flag Institute in 2013.[4][5][note 2]

Either way, the term is ambiguous & The Union Flag covers all possibilities. The name does have an interesting history though.
Oscar Namechange

cheeky bastards

Bruv;1470642 wrote: Oh come on, have you turned into another loony toon jock ?

It's a UK driving licence adorned with a UK and EU flag, for driving throughout the UK and EU. Racist
gmc

cheeky bastards

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1470642 wrote: Oh come on, have you turned into another loony toon jock ?

It's a UK driving licence adorned with a UK and EU flag, for driving throughout the UK and EU.

The fact they waited until after the referendum shows they are well aware it is controversial in parts of the uk to try and subsume the national identity of the component parts of the UK in to an amorphous blob and it also shows a complete contempt and disregard for those same sentiments and a desire to provoke them. It's stirring up controversy for no really good reason except the tory desire to show they are more patriotic than UKIP and in their tiny little minds they probably conflate england with britain and really don't understand how annoying it is. In tghe same way they think "up North" is a different, somewhat backward and dependent country.

Ukip seeks U-turn over no Union flag on Northern Ireland driving licences - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Sadly thanks to the BNP, UKIP and the unionist parties the union flag is becoming associated with flag waving, racist right wing my country right or wrong nationalism and don't you dare disagree with me you spotty little oick type of party politics that had turned political debate in this country in to one side shouting down the other.

Why not allow people to choose the george cross, the saltire, or the st david cross or even the union flag if they want to?

My car number plate has the saltire on it - travelling abroad it's better to be scots than mistaken for english as we seem relatively popular in comparison. I don't mind the british label I do object to being told being scottish is an irrelevance.
Bruv

cheeky bastards

Post by Bruv »

Don't you honestly think this is a bit petty ?

As you say the union flag has been claimed by the nut cases, and so have the separate country's flags.

The Scottish identity doesn't rely on what flag shows on your bloody licence, you will be part of the Union until the next referendum or revolution, whatever comes first.

Nigel Farage is shite stirring for his own ends, why on earth listen to the man's opinion about Northern Ireland, why should he want to tell us ?

My solution.............all licences should contain the EU flag the Union Flag and the home country's flag..................even Wales....sorted.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

cheeky bastards

Post by FourPart »

tbh I've never known what flag is shown on my Driving Licence - I never bother looking at it. So long as it covers me to drive, I'm happy if it displays the Isle of Wight flag on it.

Return to “United Kingdom”