patrician gets comeuppance

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

BBC News - Andrew Mitchell 'probably called police plebs', judge rules

You have to laugh don't you
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, what's a "pleb" ?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1468429 wrote: So, what's a "pleb" ?

"Of the Common People"

(Pleb | Define Pleb at Dictionary.com)

Although, as with many words in the English language, it may have evolved to become derogatory in its usage, there is nothing wrong with being a pleb (plebian). In fact I am quite proud to be a Pleb - a common, everyday person (and you don't more common than wot I am).

Parsonally I always felt the pleb business was blown out of all proportion from the start. The copper was doing his job, securitywise, albeit a bit Jobsworth-esque, but he was carrying out his orders. There was never any call for getting offensive in such an instance.

What I find really funny is that he is now likely to face Court Costs approaching £3 million.

I was also watching Have I Got News For You on iPlayer last night & found it rather comical that the Judge was quoted as saying that the officer was too stupid to have made it up.

PC Rowland was “not the sort of man who would have had the wit, imagination or inclination to invent on the spur of the moment an account of what a senior politician had said to him in temper”, the judge said.
Andrew Mitchell loses Plebgate libel trial | Politics | The Guardian
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

The Judge's summing up was pretty damning too........kind of called the copper a Pleb......but because he hasn't got the brain to work it out the poor bloke will never know it.

Weighing up the competing claims, the judge said PC Rowland was "not the sort of man who would have had the wit, imagination or inclination to invent on the spur of the moment an account of what a senior politician had said to him in temper".

Pleb.......is a taunt from a society still suffering from an unfair class system.

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1468429 wrote: So, what's a "pleb" ?

As the definition - one of the common people who should defer to and are inferior to people of the upper (patrician) class - like him.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/patrician

noun

a person of noble or high rank; aristocrat.

a person of very good background, education, and refinement.

a member of the original senatorial aristocracy in ancient Rome.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Thanks for the responses. I thought that was what we were talking about, but these days you can't be too sure.

So it seems to me that the only sort who would take offense at being called a Pleb would be one who thinks more of himself that he probably deserves.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1468461 wrote: Thanks for the responses. I thought that was what we were talking about, but these days you can't be too sure.

So it seems to me that the only sort who would take offense at being called a Pleb would be one who thinks more of himself that he probably deserves.
e.g Night Watchman or Security Guard.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Actually the policeman involved didn't ((probably been called far worse) but someone in the police leaked the story to the press (policeman that did it lost his job) and mitchell denied having said it he was the one that decided to sue the sun for libel otherwise by now it would have been forgotten. It's his own fault he is in this mess he's an arrogant **** that should have kniown better.

Return to “United Kingdom”