England does Pomp

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Oscar Namechange

England does Pomp

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Queen leads Britain in Remembrance Sunday service | Daily Mail Online

Amazing photographs of London today.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

England does Pomp

Post by theia »

Oh yes,we know how to do pomp indeed. I watched the Festival and the Service and was very moved.

I also watched The Passing Bells on BBC 1 last week. The two main characters were young men who joined the army at the beginning of WW1, one English and one German.

Yet I had this thought...why can't we learn from the horrors of previous wars? Each year there are more deaths, more injured service people, more bereaved families. As a collective we seem, somehow, to be missing the point of what is being shown to us. As individuals I feel sure that most of us don't want more blood shed. Yet nothing seems to change.

I don't have the answers, I wish I did. I wouldn't suggest that we don't continue to fight against terrorism, as one example. But, as someone said (can't remember who), the definition of madness is to continue to behave in the same way and expect a different outcome.

As an afterthought, maybe a collective change takes longer and is more of a gradual shift?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Return to “United Kingdom”