Regards, HM Revenue Custom

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Doubt anybody here would fall for it either. Today I received an e-mail supposedly from HM revenue and cistom telling me I was due a tax rebate along with a link that presumably would ask me for all my details on it were I daft enough to click the link.

Body of the e-mail.

Financial year-end tax calculations showed that you are due an tax refund of £1430.

Your are required to submit your information to receive your funds. Refunds are usually delayed because of incomplete information in our database. Please supply your information by following the link below to.

Tax processing link

It is important that you submit your payment information immediately to avoid delays.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1467497 wrote: Doubt anybody here would fall for it either. Today I received an e-mail supposedly from HM revenue and cistom telling me I was due a tax rebate along with a link that presumably would ask me for all my details on it were I daft enough to click the link.

Body of the e-mail.

I've seen a few like this. Given that HMRC always notify people of refunds by letter and that they already have your payment information from the original tax submission it's another case of preying on the vulnerable.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Call me stupid, what are they after, your bank account details ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1467499 wrote: Call me stupid, what are they after, your bank account details ?

More likely credit card but almost certainly date of birth, national insurance number, address ...

Anything they can use for identity theft as well as the banking data.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I think you'd be surprised by the number of folks who do fall for that sort of thing.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Thanks for the heads up Mon Grande Chardon.

It's a new one to me.

Peter had one last week asking for all his account details on E Bay..
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

There's new ones coming out all the time. All variations on a theme. The problem is that they can be so damned convincing. Of course, most of us here are sufficiently computer savvy not to get caught, but there are also a massive number who aren't - in particular a great number of trusting pensioners who are easy targets to have their lifetime savings pocketed.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Are you saying any woman over the age of 60 and man over the age of 65 Is stupid ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

Oscar Namechange;1467545 wrote: Are you saying any woman over the age of 60 and man over the age of 65 Is stupid ?

No he's not saying that.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

'Any' isn't the same as 'All'. Neither is 'A Great Number'.

Return to “United Kingdom”