Britain poorer than all US States except Mississippi

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

If Britain were to somehow leave the EU and join the US how would we rank? The answer is that we’d be the 2nd-poorest state in the union, poorer than Missouri. Poorer than the much-maligned Kansas and Alabama. Poorer than any state other than Mississippi, and if you take out the south east we’d be poorer than that too.

Link Here

To be honest I don't fully understand the figures and calculations involved, but, what if they were to include Health and Social Security cover?

Or is it the vast wealth of the wealthiest in the US that skews the result?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bruv;1462844 wrote: .... what if they were to include Health and Social Security cover?

Or is it the vast wealth of the wealthiest in the US that skews the result?

I think you're on to something. If 3 multimillionaires reside in any one state, their combined total wealth at 964 gazillion dollars but the remaining 4 million residents have only 27 cents then that state would be richer than Britain whose total sum wealth (evenly spread amongst its population) is only 963 gazillion dollars. Or something like that.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

High Threshold;1462848 wrote: I think you're on to something. If 3 multimillionaires reside in any one state, their combined total wealth at 964 gazillion dollars but the remaining 4 million residents have only 27 cents then that state would be richer than Britain whose total sum wealth (evenly spread amongst its population) is only 963 gazillion dollars. Or something like that.

I have to say it, I never know if you are taking the p*ss.

Whatever, you come across poorly at times because of it.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bruv;1462850 wrote: I have to say it, I never know if you are taking the p*ss.

Whatever, you come across poorly at times because of it.

Awfully sorry.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I heard a quote that stated that "If you are an American, you are in the top ten percent of the wealthiest people in the world." Which isn't to say that all Americans are millionaires, but instead that the vast majority of the world's population is poor.

So why is it hard to believe that Britain is poorer than the premiere civilization of all human history?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Saint_;1462854 wrote: I heard a quote that stated that "If you are an American, you are in the top ten percent of the wealthiest people in the world." Which isn't to say that all Americans are millionaires, but instead that the vast majority of the world's population is poor.

So why is it hard to believe that Britain is poorer than the premiere civilization of all human history?

I honestly don't see how “premiere civilization of all human history” found its way into it. As long as we're discussing the U.S. then there can be no correlation between wealth and civilization on a scale with “premiere” at its apex.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1462854 wrote: I heard a quote that stated that "If you are an American, you are in the top ten percent of the wealthiest people in the world." Which isn't to say that all Americans are millionaires, but instead that the vast majority of the world's population is poor.

Merriam-Websters definition of PREMIERE 1: to have a first public performance 2: to appear for the first time as a star performer

Merriam-Websters definition of PREMIER 1: first in position, rank, or importance 2: first in time

Neither fit in that sentence easily for my liking.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

The empire on which the sun never sets is a memory. What people don't appreciate is the culture, language etc. it left behind. Though it was done for selfish reasons, the imprint of knowledge and western culture is profound.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Bruv;1462860 wrote: Merriam-Websters definition of PREMIERE 1: to have a first public performance

Neither fit in that sentence easily for my liking.

First in public performance: America has been to the moon. Do you know any other country that has accomplished that greatest of all human achievements?

I rest my case.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

High Threshold;1462855 wrote: I honestly don't see how “premiere civilization of all human history” found its way into it.

Just me bragging and trying to understand why the British would be surprised to be poorer than us.

As long as we're discussing the U.S. then there can be no correlation between wealth and civilization on a scale with “premiere” at its apex.

I agree. Greatness should be measured by achievements. America has the most and the best of those.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I'm surprised that Switzerland or the Caymans aren't at the top of the list since that's where rich Americans send their money to avoid being responsible citizens.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Highest quality of life US 6th

Civil and Political Liberties US 46th

Richest Countries US 7th

Worst Income InequalityUS 4th
gmc

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1462869 wrote: First in public performance: America has been to the moon. Do you know any other country that has accomplished that greatest of all human achievements?

I rest my case.

Well russia's german scientists got the first man in to space just because america's german scientists had more money is no reason to be smug about getting to the moon first.:sneaky:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Nothing really changes. When the Tories are in power the goal is to give massive tax cuts to the wealthy (scratching each others backs) while making up the shortfall as best it can by making unsustainable cutbacks from those that can least afford them.

The amount of available 'money' remains about the same. it's just a matter of who has control over it. Those who need it, or those who already have more than they could ever hope for, but still want more.

We need someone to bring King Richard back from the Crusades. Prince John's got his fingers in the till again.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1462893 wrote: Well russia's german scientists got the first man in to space just because america's german scientists had more money is no reason to be smug about getting to the moon first.:sneaky:

Says you.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1462911 wrote: Says you.

So it was Premiere?

First Hollywood performance of a moon landing........just like the rumours?

Merriam-Websters definition of PREMIERE 1: to have a first public performance 2: to appear for the first time as a star performer
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Saint_;1462871 wrote: Greatness should be measured by achievements. America has the most and the best of those.

I absolutely disagree with the second sentence.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Wandrin;1462872 wrote: I'm surprised that Switzerland or the Caymans aren't at the top of the list since that's where rich Americans send their money to avoid being responsible citizens.

:wah::wah::wah:

gmc;1462893 wrote: Well russia's german scientists got the first man in to space just because america's german scientists had more money is no reason to be smug about getting to the moon first.:sneaky:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

SO MUCH TRUTH IN A SINGLE DAY!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

U.S. under-achievements have already been pointed out with regards “Quality of life” - “Civil and Political Liberites” - “Wealth” - and “Inequality of Income”.

Note also that the U.S. is rated at only 15th. World-Wide in

DEMOCRACY. Global Democracy Ranking – Democracy Ranking 2013

The UK, by the way, is rated above the U.S. at 14th.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1462925 wrote: So it was Premiere?

Doesn't it also refer to a leader, such as of a country?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1462925 wrote: So it was Premiere?

Doesn't it also refer to a leader, such as of a country?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1462953 wrote: Doesn't it also refer to a leader, such as of a country?

No, looks like that's Premier.....HERE
gmc

Post by gmc »

Don't argue about spelling with americans it's a waste of time because they think american english and american spelling is the only one that's right.

posted by saint

I agree. Greatness should be measured by achievements. America has the most and the best of those.

Like what?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1462967 wrote: Don't argue about spelling with americans it's a waste of time because they think american english and american spelling is the only one that's right.

posted by saint

Like what?

Fourpart is a Brit.

I am too English to actually argue about my language I know I'm right.............after checking a decent English dictionary.

I even have disputes with my spell checker............cos it has an American twang.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1462967 wrote:

Like what?

(1) Declaration of Independence from a tyrannical King.

(2) Constitution and Bill of Rights---Modern democracy

(2) Cotton Gin invention

(3) Man on Moon

(4) Coca-Cola

(5) Winning the Cold War

(6) Saving Britain from having the Swastika fly over Buckingham Palace

(7) Truman Doctrine and Marshall Plan

(8) Assembly Line Production

(9) FDR's creation of the UN.

(10) Polio vaccine; Malaria vaccine, AIDS cure, Ebola cure.

(11) Lend Lease

(12) Creation of the Movie industry----Hollywood

(13) Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Apple, Facebook, etc...

(14) Invention of the Airplane

(15) First Transatlantic flight

(16) The Space Shuttle

(17) The Mars Rovers

(18) Franklin's discovery of Electricity.

(19) Alternating Current

(20) Nuclear power

The browser you are surfing on, the computer chip running the computer you are using, the keyboard letter placement you are typing on, the power that is running your computer, even the LIGHT you are typing by...all created by Americans!

and on and on.... did I forget Blue jeans and MTV? :D

Everybody wanna be US. We new school...You old school.

America rules the planet defacto. Greater than Rome, greater than Egypt, greater than any empire in history. But don't worry, we still have a fond place for our former cousins the British. We'll never invade or nuke you. We like royalty these days!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

And I thought you were being serious Saint.

You are a card.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

You had me going for awhile there, Saint, until it became obvious that you meant it jokingly.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Saint_;1462994 wrote: (1) Declaration of Independence from a tyrannical King.
And you still have a love of Royalty.

(2) Constitution and Bill of Rights---Modern democracy

Democracy - Invented by the Greeks.

(2) Cotton Gin invention

Whitney's gin revolutionised the cotton industry in the United States, but also led to the growth of slavery in the American South as the demand for cotton workers rapidly increased. The invention has thus been identified as an inadvertent contributing factor to the outbreak of the American Civil War.[4] Modern automated cotton gins use multiple powered cleaning cylinders and saws, and offer far higher productivity than their hand-powered forebears.
(From Cotton gin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

btw. 3 comes after 2.

(3) Man on Moon
Using German technology.

(4) Coca-Cola
Promoting Cocaine addiction.

(5) Winning the Cold War
So, nothing of the pressure from the rest of the world, totalling more than America?

(6) Saving Britain from having the Swastika fly over Buckingham Palace
Not until the Japs attacked you.

(7) Truman Doctrine and Marshall Plan
Which goes against Democracy by taking away the People's right to choose.

(8) Assembly Line Production
An obvious modernisation of the Cotton Mills of English Industrial Revolution.

(9) FDR's creation of the UN.
A simple copy of the League of Nations. Even so, America never takes any notice of the UN as & when it doesn't agree.

(10) Polio vaccine; Malaria vaccine, AIDS cure, Ebola cure.
I'll give you Polio Vaccine, but there is no Malaria Vaccine, cure for AIDS or Ebola

[Late this week, both the World Health Organization and the United States Food and Drug Administration issued strong warnings about false Ebola cures. The latter threatened American companies with penalties if they continue making such claims.]

(Taken from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/scien ... .html?_r=0 - an American site)

(11) Lend Lease
Effectively Loan Sharks who are still charging interest for money to the UK for their part in defending a Free World against the Nazis (which, once again, they didn't get involved in until attacked themselves).

(12) Creation of the Movie industry----Hollywood
Check out Moving Pictures: The History of Early Cinema, ProQuest Discovery Guides

(13) Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Apple, Facebook, etc...
I'll give you MS, Google & Facebook. Although Yahoo, along with Hotmail & gMail are the most insecure systems around - a paradise for hackers & spammers.

Mind you, they'd be nothing without Alan Turin (English) inventing the first programmable computer.

(14) Invention of the Airplane
Check out History of aviation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose the Americans did invent the Airplane. It's another word they screwed up from "Aeroplane".

(15) First Transatlantic flight
Alcock & Brown (1919) - British.

(16) The Space Shuttle
Primarily, I grant you, but with a great deal of input from Europe & Spacelab.

(17) The Mars Rovers
Granted.

(18) Franklin's discovery of Electricity.
Check out Who Discovered Electricity?

Electricity was known about 600 years bc.

(19) Alternating Current
Nokola Tesla - A Croatian.

(20) Nuclear power
Check out Nuclear power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Founded on the work of Sir James Chadwick - English.

The browser you are surfing on, the computer chip running the computer you are using, the keyboard letter placement you are typing on, the power that is running your computer, even the LIGHT you are typing by...all created by Americans!
The computer chip - froma principle by Kurt Lehovec - a Czech.

Electricity we have already covered.

First Electric Light - Humphrey Davy - English, followed by Sir Joseph Wilson Swan - English. Edison didn't come onto the scene until much later.

(Invention of the Light Bulb: Davy, Swan and Edison - EnchantedLearning.com)

and on and on.... did I forget Blue jeans and MTV? :D
Blue Jeans - Invented by Jacob Davis (Russian / Latviian) & Levi Strauss (German).

MTV? Say no more. Biggest load of dross going.

Everybody wanna be US. We new school...You old school.
Not me. No way, no how!!

America rules the planet defacto. Greater than Rome, greater than Egypt, greater than any empire in history. But don't worry, we still have a fond place for our former cousins the British. We'll never invade or nuke you. We like royalty these days!
You liken your self to Empires, yet you distance yourself from Royalty.

You liken yourself to powerful dictatorships. Understandable.

You try to rule the planet - to force your will upon them by violence, if necessary (usually).

You preach Unity, but ignore it when it suits your ends.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

FourPart;1463011 wrote: And you still have a love of Royalty.

You liken your self to Empires, yet you distance yourself from Royalty.

You liken yourself to powerful dictatorships. Understandable.

You try to rule the planet - to force your will upon them by violence, if necessary (usually).

You preach Unity, but ignore it when it suits your ends.

Hold on.....I'VE GOT A BITE! I'm going to reel it in. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1463047 wrote: Hold on.....I'VE GOT A BITE! I'm going to reel it in. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

And that is a zed not a zee....................OK ?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1463050 wrote: And that is a zed not a zee....................OK ?
Didn't you know? They changed it so that they could remember how to learn the Alphabet. It's the only way they could get the words of the song so that 'Vee' could rhyme with 'Zed'.

Return to “United Kingdom”