Jerusalem ?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Bruv

Jerusalem ?

Post by Bruv »

No...... not THAT Jerusalem, the musical one.

When playing national anthems at the Commonwealth Games, who chose Jerusalem as our one ? And how long has it been adopted as the English national anthem ?

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Jerusalem ?

Post by FourPart »

I'm only guessing, but I suppose it might be because so many of the Commonwealth countries remain under the Sovereignty patronage, which would mean that "God Save The Queen" would also apply to the other countries as well, whereas "Jerusalem" is specific to England (...And was Jerusalem builded here, on England's green & pleasant land?).

That, of course would give rise to the additional question as to whether it is appropriate as a GB anthem, as it is specific to England, discounting Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland (for now), and its other Dominions - or do they have separate entries in the Commonwealth Games (not being a follower of such things, I don't know)?

Plus, although being a devout Royalist I hate to say it, "Jerusalem" is a much more catchy tune, whereas "God Save The Queen" does tend to come across as being rather doleful (not that I would go to the extremes of the way the American Celebs always putting their ridiculous personal twists onto the "Stars & Stripes" when opening events. They always seem to ruin a perfectly decent piece of music which, if anything, I see as a form of disrespect, to the music & to the country for which it represents).

Addendum.

Also worthy of note is that the secondary American Anthem "America - My Country Is For Thee", is actually the tune of "God Save The Queen":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Country,_%27Tis_of_Thee
Snowfire

Jerusalem ?

Post by Snowfire »

The others have had there own particular anthem to enjoy, while we have continued to drawl through that stirring dirge, "God Save the Queen".

"Flower of Scotland" and "Land of My Fathers" are rousing enough to be met with some competition so "Jerusalem" at least hits the right notes
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Jerusalem ?

Post by Bruv »

When did we choose it though, or have I missed something ? (Probably by all accounts)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Jerusalem ?

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1461204 wrote: When did we choose it though, or have I missed something ? (Probably by all accounts)

No I missed it too. No idea how or who came to the conclusion
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Jerusalem ?

Post by gmc »

Plus, although being a devout Royalist I hate to say it, "Jerusalem" is a much more catchy tune, whereas "God Save The Queen" does tend to come across as being rather doleful (not that I would go to the extremes of the way the American Celebs always putting their ridiculous personal twists onto the "Stars & Stripes" when opening events. They always seem to ruin a perfectly decent piece of music which, if anything, I see as a form of disrespect, to the music & to the country for which it represents).

It was us that inspired the words to that particular ditty. where would the yanks be without us to inspire them eh?

Arguably gstq it's not even appropriate as a uk anthem in view of the anti-scots third verse which is no longer used. Used o be a mild bone of contention that so may think it is the english national anthem.

If scotland votes yes in the referendum then you might need an english one.

Scots politicians argue whether the scottish anthem should be flower of scotland or "scot's wha hae" a worthy but boring dirge.
theia

Jerusalem ?

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1461200 wrote: The others have had there own particular anthem to enjoy, while we have continued to drawl through that stirring dirge, "God Save the Queen".

"Flower of Scotland" and "Land of My Fathers" are rousing enough to be met with some competition so "Jerusalem" at least hits the right notes

Couldn't agree more...GSTQ is dismal and depressing
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
FourPart

Jerusalem ?

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1461206 wrote: Arguably gstq it's not even appropriate as a uk anthem in view of the anti-scots third verse which is no longer used. Used o be a mild bone of contention that so may think it is the english national anthem.

If scotland votes yes in the referendum then you might need an english one.

Scots politicians argue whether the scottish anthem should be flower of scotland or "scot's wha hae" a worthy but boring dirge.
I remember when in the Cubs (many years ago now), in order to move up from being a Probationer to a Fully Fledge member of the Pack, we had to recite the Cub Scouts Promise, the Cub Scout Law, and the 3rd verse of "God Save The Queen".

As far as needing an English Anthem is the Scots decide on Autonomy - that what "Jerusalem" is - Although it will need a way of including Wales & Northern Ireland.

Come to that, we'll need a new flag as well.
gmc

Jerusalem ?

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1461223 wrote: I remember when in the Cubs (many years ago now), in order to move up from being a Probationer to a Fully Fledge member of the Pack, we had to recite the Cub Scouts Promise, the Cub Scout Law, and the 3rd verse of "God Save The Queen".

As far as needing an English Anthem is the Scots decide on Autonomy - that what "Jerusalem" is - Although it will need a way of including Wales & Northern Ireland.

Come to that, we'll need a new flag as well.

The current flag dates from the union of ireland and great britain, wasn't changed when ireland became independent leaving it as a symbol of sectarian conflict in northern ireland. Wales isn't represented why bother changing it? It's all a bit petty.

Cameron and the westminster government are the ones turning this whole debate nasty. Most scots would have gone fo greater devolution, devomax, the snp were originally going to have that as a third option westminster vetoed having that as an option in the referendum on the rather spurious grounds that it made things too complicated for us simple scots to understand. They are the ones refusing to contemplate any kind of rational friendly debate about how it would work and trying to frighten us in to voting no.

The flag issue is petty and a bit irrelevant but if you feel that way about it go ahead and change it.
FourPart

Jerusalem ?

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1461252 wrote: The current flag dates from the union of ireland and great britain, wasn't changed when ireland became independent leaving it as a symbol of sectarian conflict in northern ireland. Wales isn't represented why bother changing it? It's all a bit petty.
Wales isn't included in the Union Flag as it's not technically part of the U.K. (although it is part of Great Britain), due to it not being a Kingdom, but a Principality (as in "Prince Of Wales") - more a matter of Ancient Heraldry than anything else.

Doesn't Northern Ireland still use the Cross of St. Patrick, whereas Eire use the Tricolour?

Return to “United Kingdom”