Knives in schools

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Bruv

Knives in schools

Post by Bruv »

Following the horror of Anne Maguire's murder other Teachers are telling frightening tales.

Should there be a reaction to these stories ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Knives in schools

Post by Oscar Namechange »

In cases like these, It's very easy to blame the school, lack of security, frame of mind of the kid responsible etc etc but ultimately, It has to be the parents fault.

Weather It's the parents being just too busy to know what is In their school bag or weather It's fear of Intruding on the childs privacy, the fact remains, these parents could not have know their child had a knife In school bag.

When I was at school, my parents rifled through my school bag every morning and evening and If I didn't like It, then tough.

We are these days, so frightened of trampling on the feelings and rights of dear little Johnny that we lose sight of the dangers but then of course, every parent thinks It will never be their child.

Parents need to step up to the plate and take more responsibility. If that means hurting little Johnny's feelings by going through his school bag, then so be It.

It's not down to the school or the government to protect people from violent kids. It Is down to the parents to ensure their child has nothing that can harm another being. They failed to do that and there-fore should shoulder the blame.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tude dog

Knives in schools

Post by tude dog »

When growing up last thing I worried about was another student with a pocket knife.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Knives in schools

Post by LarsMac »

When we were growing up, I think every boy had a pocket knife on him.

The only time anyone was cut was when he was not watching what he was doing, and a finger got in the way.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Knives in schools

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Mate;1452859 wrote: In cases like these, It's very easy to blame the school, lack of security, frame of mind of the kid responsible etc etc but ultimately, It has to be the parents fault.

Weather It's the parents being just too busy to know what is In their school bag or weather It's fear of Intruding on the childs privacy, the fact remains, these parents could not have know their child had a knife In school bag.

When I was at school, my parents rifled through my school bag every morning and evening and If I didn't like It, then tough.

We are these days, so frightened of trampling on the feelings and rights of dear little Johnny that we lose sight of the dangers but then of course, every parent thinks It will never be their child.

Parents need to step up to the plate and take more responsibility. If that means hurting little Johnny's feelings by going through his school bag, then so be It.

It's not down to the school or the government to protect people from violent kids. It Is down to the parents to ensure their child has nothing that can harm another being. They failed to do that and there-fore should shoulder the blame.

I carried a penknife in my pocket from about 12 years old.
Bruv

Knives in schools

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1452867 wrote: When we were growing up, I think every boy had a pocket knife on him.

The only time anyone was cut was when he was not watching what he was doing, and a finger got in the way.
Our posts crossed..................still got the scars.
Oscar Namechange

Knives in schools

Bruv;1452869 wrote: Our posts crossed..................still got the scars. We don't know the murder weapon yet but are you seriously suggesting a fully grown woman can be taken down by a penknife?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Knives in schools

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Mate;1452873 wrote: We don't know the murder weapon yet but are you seriously suggesting a fully grown woman can be taken down by a penknife?

Sorry I am watching The Last Chance School, a programme about problem children.

Yes a penknife could take down a fully grown man.
Oscar Namechange

Knives in schools

Bruv;1452875 wrote: Sorry I am watching The Last Chance School, a programme about problem children.

Yes a penknife could take down a fully grown man. Gieven the circumstances, I'm guessing she was disabled very very quickly Indicating a larger knife... I suppose we shall have to wait and see.
tude dog

Knives in schools

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1452867 wrote: When we were growing up, I think every boy had a pocket knife on him.

I was a Boy Scout and to carry a knife or other sharp object you had to have a Tote n Chip card

Seen not properly using cutting tools a corner is torn off. Really badly using a cutting tool two or more can be removed.

This no guarantee that a boy will not use a knife badly. One would think kids with parents who take the time to involve themselves in such organizations would produce less knife crime.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Knives in schools

Post by LarsMac »

A kitchen knife, according to the article.

Hardly something your common kid would be carrying to school, I think.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Knives in schools

Post by Bruv »

I don't think it is entirely down to parents.

It is a societal thing, attitudes change in general.

Values evolve, everybody knows too much about everything, without respect or boundaries of restraint or good taste.
Oscar Namechange

Knives in schools

LarsMac;1452880 wrote: A kitchen knife, according to the article.

Hardly something your common kid would be carrying to school, I think. Ahhhh I didn't read the article as I've been going by TV coverage.... In that case I stand by my first post... parents who didn't know their kid had a kitchen knife In his school bag ? That's where the blame lies.

I am sick to death of this parenting by proxy these days. It Is not the school's duty to check every kid for knives nor Is It the governments. these people have kids and then want the onus put on authorities to pander to them rather than do what they are supposed to. Parent them !!!

Just seen a TV news Item showing the kids Facebook page where his profile pic was the Grim Reaper... It's at that point most parents would take a keener Interest In what their kid Is up to but some believe the authorities need to do It for them.
LarsMac

Knives in schools

Post by LarsMac »

Oscar Mate;1452882 wrote: Ahhhh I didn't read the article as I've been going by TV coverage.... In that case I stand by my first post... parents who didn't know their kid had a kitchen knife In his school bag ? That's where the blame lies.

I am sick to death of this parenting by proxy these days. It Is not the school's duty to check every kid for knives nor Is It the governments. these people have kids and then want the onus put on authorities to pander to them rather than do what they are supposed to. Parent them !!!

Just seen a TV news Item showing the kids Facebook page where his profile pic was the Grim Reaper... It's at that point most parents would take a keener Interest In what their kid Is up to but some believe the authorities need to do It for them.

A lot of kids will adapt avatars of scary characters. That is not necessarily an indicator of pending doom at their hands. And parents can't always know everything the kids are doing.

Rather than fixing blame, we need to understand what else was going on in the kid's life. Figure out what is needed to actually spot and intercept such behavior, before it happens.

You don't want to know the kind of image I would have projected onto social media when I was a kid. But, I came through all of that without actually killing anyone.

I can't even imagine what would have happened to me if school had drug me to the shrinks for identifying with scary beasties and such.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Knives in schools

LarsMac;1452884 wrote: A lot of kids will adapt avatars of scary characters. That is not necessarily an indicator of pending doom at their hands. And parents can't always know everything the kids are doing.

Rather than fixing blame, we need to understand what else was going on in the kid's life. Figure out what is needed to actually spot and intercept such behavior, before it happens.

You don't want to know the kind of image I would have projected onto social media when I was a kid. But, I came through all of that without actually killing anyone.

I can't even imagine what would have happened to me if school had drug me to the shrinks for identifying with scary beasties and such. It wasn't just his profile pic but the killing video games he played.

Oh well, I suppose It will all come out eventually.
fuzzywuzzy

Knives in schools

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Amazing . we had knives ....never stabbed anyone.

We had boxing gloves but never king hit anyone.

We played cowboys and indians, war games, etc . Never felt the need to kill an indian, or sign up for a war.

Hmmmmmmmm....... too many red lollies and cordial me thinks. ........No hang on that doesn't work. We had red lollies and cordial we turned out alright...

twitch, snick.........what was that? ...twitch.
Oscar Namechange

Knives in schools

fuzzywuzzy;1453063 wrote: Amazing . we had knives ....never stabbed anyone.

We had boxing gloves but never king hit anyone.

We played cowboys and indians, war games, etc . Never felt the need to kill an indian, or sign up for a war.

Hmmmmmmmm....... too many red lollies and cordial me thinks. ........No hang on that doesn't work. We had red lollies and cordial we turned out alright...

twitch, snick.........what was that? ...twitch.

Boxing gloves and a kitchen knife are not on the same level.

Playing Cowboys and Indians and a kitchen knife Is not on the same level.

Yet, I agree, we all had those things and one of the most deadly was the compass. Which Is why It's absolutely futile and a complete waste of money screening every kid who walks through the school gates with a metal detector as we do have In some schools here.

With anything that can harm such as Boxing Gloves or even a penknife, there Is a purpose. Any object can harm. There Is absolutely no purpose to taking a kitchen knife to school other than the Intent to harm another. That's the difference.

It should be the parents who need to be aware If their child Is being bullied and needs to defend himself. It should be the parents who need to know their child Is watching kill video's. It Is a parents duty to know what frame of mind their child Is In and these parents have failed their child.

Two families have been destroyed here. The teachers and the child who's now probably wondering what the hell hit him. He has been failed. But It's all very easy to blame governments, schools, lack of security, teachers etc etc.

Return to “United Kingdom”