George Osborne warns Scotland

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

George Osborne warns Scotland that a 'Yes' vote will mean losing the pound - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Originally the referendum was going to have three options yes, no or greater devolution. Most scots would have gone for greater devolution, salmond knew that which is why it was on the table. Cameron forced the issue and insisted on yes or no to complete independence.

Now scots are faced with the prospect of voting no and having to contend with arseholes like cameron and osbourne still in charge. If all they can do is threaten and bully they can go and get stuffed.
gmc

Post by gmc »

No comment then. What's up does the prospect of going it along without scotland scare you all?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1448033 wrote: No comment then. What's up does the prospect of going it along without scotland scare you all?

I find it surprising that non scot residents in Scotland can vote for Scottish independance, while expat Scots don't get a vote but they do get Scottish citizenship without voting for it.

Depends who's talking about the financial benefits, there ought to be a measurable result, it can't just be down to the various party's opinion......can it?

Surely there must be guidelines now for the share of debt and revenues.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1448074 wrote: I find it surprising that non scot residents in Scotland can vote for Scottish independance, while expat Scots don't get a vote but they do get Scottish citizenship without voting for it.

Depends who's talking about the financial benefits, there ought to be a measurable result, it can't just be down to the various party's opinion......can it?

Surely there must be guidelines now for the share of debt and revenues.

Just think of the complexities involved - also depends on exactly what you mean by expat. What about people like my English wife who has lived here since she was eight years old, come to that her parents are English but lived here most of their lives should they get to vote? They do get to vote and why not since they will be living here till they die. What about second generation asian immigrants who also aren't scots but think of themselves as scottish you could start opening up a real minefield and raise issues that aren't actually issues at the moment. Best keep it simple.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Well the debate is over david bowie wants us to stay.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1448757 wrote: Well the debate is over david bowie wants us to stay.

Im waiting for Rod Stewart decision
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I've just read that an Independent Scotland may not be able to enter the Eurovision song contest... see? That'll teach you.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

You should try the independent for even sillier concerns

Ukraine is a country divided against itself. Watch out, Scotland - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Methinks the tories are worried about the reality that the scots subsidises the rest of the uk and have most of the new gas and oil fields which they will lose and labour are shitting themselves it will mean the end of them as a force in politics. They both rather seem to be panicking a bit.

If we vote for independence and you consequently have years of ukip rule the odds are you will be coming cap in hand for a handout when it dawns on you what a mistake leaving the eu is going to be.

After the 1707 act of union - which was after an earlier banking crisis it took the scottish economy years to recover to the level it was at before the act of union. All that much vaunted inward investment maggie thatcher took credit for resulted from our joining the eec. When the rest of the uk leaves shifting factories to Scotland would seem logical. Wonder why none of the pundits are exploring what would happen if ukip win and take us out of the eu - assuming the rest let them go of course.

A lot of scots want to avoid the upcoming disaster caused by right wing economic policies.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Lesley Riddoch: A risky time for Cameron to visit - The Scotsman

Finally, there’s the danger of opening a real debate about the value of Scotland’s oil. Its troubling volatility seemed unproblematic to former chancellor Dennis Healey last year when he revealed UK governments had “underplay[ed] the value of oil to the country” because of fears over Scottish nationalism.

Lord Healey said: “I think [Westminster politicians] are concerned about Scotland taking the oil. I think they are worried stiff about it. I think we would suffer enormously if the income from Scottish oil stopped but if the Scots want it, they should have it and we would just need to adjust. But I would think Scotland could survive perfectly well, economically, if it was independent.”

This startling admission rekindled interest in an unpublished 1974 government report by economist Professor Gavin McCrone which concluded that oil would leave an independent Scotland “in chronic surplus to a quite embarrassing degree” and that “Scottish banks could expect to find themselves inundated with a speculative inflow of foreign funds”.

Cameron promised greater devolution if scotland voted no. He would do better to give some details on what is proposed. Sadly most scots would trust as a tory about as far as they can throw them. About as much use as a dead budgie in a **** factory the lot of them. I can see why people lvote ukip as a means to get at the bastards.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Saw Cameron on the news tonight casting a possessive eye over those oil beds....he's not happy Is he ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1448909 wrote: Saw Cameron on the news tonight casting a possessive eye over those oil beds....he's not happy Is he ?

If scotland votes yes the rest of the UK is in deep **** economically and he knows it.

The irony is if he had let the snp include the the second question most scots would have gone for it cameron is the one who is forcing the issue.

Alex Salmond: Devo max instead of independence is 'very attractive' - Telegraph

Alex Salmond: Devo max instead of independence is 'very attractive'

Return to “United Kingdom”