Sensible or persecution ?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Stub out smoking in cars or lay off those who have been “persecuted too much” - what your MPs think - Politics - Eastern Daily Press
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Having grown up with a father who smoked, and did not like open windows in his cars, I am in favor of such a ban, myself. Even when I smoked, I had to have a window open if I was smoking in a car.

The smoke can be terrible in such enclosed spaces, and children should not be exposed to so much second-hand smoke, IMHO

I can agree that enforcing such a ban might be a problem.

The idea that smokers are "persecuted" I find laughable, though.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

If there are children travelling in the same vehicle, then smoking should not be permitted. If there are just adults in the vehicle then the smoker should ask if anybody objects to the smoking before lighting up, and abide by the reaction.

When I used to be a taxi driver carrying special needs children to and from their special schools each day, I smoked cigarettes. I was driving that car for periods of up to 2 hours per trip and I would never smoke cigarettes during that time. I did smoke in my own car though. You get quite used to not smoking under those circumstances. In fact even when there were no children in the taxi, I didn't smoke because I knew that the smoke hung around for ages even with the windows open.

Yes I would agree that a law should be brought in that smoking in a vehicle when there are children in the vehicle is illegal. It's not a case of persecuting a section of the public, it is a case of common sense ! Unfortunately the human being, it seems , is incapable of voluntarily not smoking in a vehicle that is carrying children - some people would do that, but a lot of people need to be told !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I see both sides..

On one hand I agree.

On the other hand, vital social problems are over-looked. ie The growing amount of young alcoholics due to cut price booze and binge drinker, legal highs, etc

I myself, a chain smoker, can manage any journey without smoking If there are children In the car. I myself wouldn't dream of lighting up. I also do not expect to smoke In people's houses who are non-smokers. I like to think that most smokers are considerate and that's why I think all smokers are being branded as reckless here.

What about car exhaust fumes?

I live next door to a Primary school and at 3 pm, It's positively toxic out there from parents cars running their engines while they wait.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Post by theia »

oscar;1447666 wrote: I see both sides..

On one hand I agree.

On the other hand, vital social problems are over-looked. ie The growing amount of young alcoholics due to cut price booze and binge drinker, legal highs, etc

I myself, a chain smoker, can manage any journey without smoking If there are children In the car. I myself wouldn't dream of lighting up. I also do not expect to smoke In people's houses who are non-smokers. I like to think that most smokers are considerate and that's why I think all smokers are being branded as reckless here.

What about car exhaust fumes?

I live next door to a Primary school and at 3 pm, It's positively toxic out there from parents cars running their engines while they wait.

Most smokers ARE considerate, Oscar, I agree. And I include myself in that.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Return to “United Kingdom”