Big benefits row

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Big benefits row

Post by gmc »

Anybody see this the other night? Just curious for comments. Edwina currie and katie hopkins came across as loud mouthed ignorant right wing nutters.
theia

Big benefits row

Post by theia »

gmc;1447053 wrote: Anybody see this the other night? Just curious for comments. Edwina currie and katie hopkins came across as loud mouthed ignorant right wing nutters.

Yes I watched it. It was a shouting match and I don't think Matthew Wright was the best presenter to chair it.

From what I've been reading today, the Dee lady is being hyped up...hopefully not to the heights of national treasure.

I think there were several loud mouths in the audience too and I found it annoying when I heard someone complain that most of the jobs available were toilet cleaning jobs. I've done plenty of cleaning on and off during my life...needs must etc.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

Big benefits row

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1447053 wrote: Anybody see this the other night? Just curious for comments. Edwina currie and katie hopkins came across as loud mouthed ignorant right wing nutters.

It was terrible, no debate just nasty loud mouthed nutters like Katie Hopkins and Edwina Curry.

There was no control and it just ended up a pointless programme in the end.

The only things I got from it were that there are actually only 1% of families that make a habit of all being on the dole and never working, not the majority the government/daily mail would have us to believe.

Fraud is lower than has been previously advertised by government and the daily mail.

I think Katie was just there to provide drama, what a nasty woman. And Edwina, well, not sure what to say, both just don't live in the real world.

I think by the time those facts came up I'd switched off. I was also puzzling over the way the facts were presented on screen, at first glance the 'facts' appeared to be the worst they could be, you really had to read and digest the way in which they were presented or you would now be thinking 'oh the daily mail is right' Just found that an interesting ploy when things could have been set out more black and white.
Oscar Namechange

Big benefits row

Post by Oscar Namechange »

She was screeching again this morning.

Katie Hopkins attacks Benefits Street's White Dee on live TV debate | Mail Online
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Big benefits row

Post by Bruv »

I saw this program trailed and considered watching it, then thought about the way it was advertised.

Channel 5 the one that still has Big Brother and some other sensationalist programs dumped from other channels and thought better of it.

By what I have read here my gut feeling was correct.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

Big benefits row

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1447061 wrote: I saw this program trailed and considered watching it, then thought about the way it was advertised.

Channel 5 the one that still has Big Brother and some other sensationalist programs dumped from other channels and thought better of it.

By what I have read here my gut feeling was correct.

Wish I hadn't bothered lol a third of the way through when people were shouting and not debating the actual issue at hand, throwing insults about willy nill, I decided it was very much like some of the debates here at FG :wah:

Katie just seems to be a verbal bully, what has it got to do with her if someone wears a bra or not, she moves in different circles than those of us on benefits, I'd be hard pressed to follow a dress code of business casual. My wardrobe no longer contains anything businessy at all!

This White Dee was sacked for stealing from her employers, wow, why on earth would you then put yourself on the telly! Eeek so the Benefits street people couldn't find an average honest joe to portray, so benefits street are just as bad as the daily mail and the government for just promoting worst case scenarios! (I've not followed Benefits Street so only just catching up with the gist of it)
LarsMac

Big benefits row

Post by LarsMac »

So, y'all have TV that is just as sad as ours.

Glad we don't get that stuff imported over here. I'll stick with Monty Python and Faulty Towers reruns.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Big benefits row

Post by Oscar Namechange »

LarsMac;1447065 wrote: So, y'all have TV that is just as sad as ours.

Glad we don't get that stuff imported over here. I'll stick with Monty Python and Faulty Towers reruns. Errrrr Excuse me Sir !!!

Look at what you send us !!!

Honey Boo Boo

Swamp People

Catfish Noodlers

?????

Pic of Katie Hopkins with her three kids.... geeze... I've seen happier kids In NSPCC adverts.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Big benefits row

Post by LarsMac »

oscar;1447341 wrote: Errrrr Excuse me Sir !!!

Look at what you send us !!!

Honey Boo Boo

Swamp People

Catfish Noodlers

?????

Pic of Katie Hopkins with her three kids.... geeze... I've seen happier kids In NSPCC adverts.

Exactly my point, dear.

We have enough crap of our own. We don't need to import any more. Besides, I used to have people like in those shows as neighbors, I don't really need to see them on TV.

I remember finding some pretty nifty stuff on TV when I was in York.

They were running a series on Henry VIII with Ray Winstone, I think, portraying the King.

I have been looking for it over here ever since.

Half the stuff we watch these days is British imports, like Downton Abbey, Doc Martin, and Foyle's War, and a bunch of old detective/crime series.

I detest most of the crap the America channels are putting up.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “United Kingdom”